MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Anyone ever get A LOT more milage on a run??

Anyone ever get A LOT more milage on a run?? - Forums [Biker Match] Anyone ever get A LOT more milage on a run?? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Anyone ever get A LOT more milage on a run??

I went to Bristol Thursday, 540 mile round trip. Took the trailer and went to pick up a newer engine for my bike, (mine needs a few little jobs soon so decided it was better to get this engine as it will save a lot of work and a bit of cash too.) Anyhoo more of that some other time, my bike used to return 168 miles before reserve without fail, then I added a windscreen (I'd had it longer than the bike was off ex's Virago took it off before she had it Repo'd) I was then getting 188 miles before reserve, I added a front sprocket with 1 more tooth, now getting around 194 miles before reserve. But Thursday I had a small detour into Loughboro to go to my Bank to get cash out for my purchases and had to sit at approx 60mph (legal speed for towing a trailer on motorway) a few spells of slower traffic (bloody road works) an accasional spurt to get in front od 56mph restricted trucks(perfectly leagal officer) but I get to my destination sill not having turned onto reserve????? Totally amazed to read my trip meter 265 miles!!! Thought right gotta see what's left, after sorting out my transactions, loading my trailer (god CB750 engines weighs a lot lol) I set off got 4 miles towards home and splutter............switched to reserve and carrierd on my way (I'd taken a precaution of strapping a full can of petrol to the draw bar of the trailer in case I could not find a fuel stop) I finally ran out of petrol with milometer showing an incredible 301.4 miles I for the 1st time had my leathers on (only just tried on the trousers ones lol) that was the only other differance than the other things mentioned. MCN offical MPG average 41 not too bad from a heavy old tec bike.......... Oh and a tank range of 181 miles!!! They also say 20 ltrs tank capacity too (obviously never brimmed it then lol) My tank empty to brimmed is 22ltrs 4.83 gallons 301.4 miles = 62.4 MPG I wonder if my engine was trying to tell me something ???

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/08/2009 13:36  

Hull, no matter what you ride/drive if you stick to mid 50's 60's, use your gears instead of your brakes when possible, you will always get more MPG & the longer the run at steady speeds the more you will get.On runs in the car (which I do a lot of for work) I can get mid to high 40's if I'm not rushing & just pootling - even when I sit at 80 - if it's steady - not slowing/speeding all the time. (I got a 2 ltr Beemer....waits for the howls of derision! ) I Drove to Donnington one year from Durham & had to sit at 56 all the way (we were following some friends in a van & him being an RAC person would not go over 56 as he wanted to get the best possible MPG) - it was an utterly boring drive, but I got mid 60mpg out of that particular car! (cained it on the way back which brough the MPG down somewhat )

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 15/08/2009 13:46  

Yeh I know about steady riding but to return 62mpg and a tank range of 301 is a hell of a lot differant! 100 miles more before reserve!! Don't forget I was also pulling a trailer! I used to own a Rover 827 Vitesse no one would beleive that I could AVERAGE 43 mpg out of a 2.7 V6 Automatic, but it's a testoment to Hondas V6 in a fairly slippery shaped wedge car!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/08/2009 13:52  

You didn't connect that engine up in the trailer and have it pushing you did you Hull, it does seem a hell of a difference that mate. Maybe someone crept up and slipped a sly gallon in while you were at the cashpoint!

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 15/08/2009 13:57  

If they did I'd like them to follow me around lmao. Nope engine not able to be hooked up as all electicals removed before purchase.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/08/2009 14:14  

Ah well at least you checked the trailer scenario, now i'm baffled too. Not down hill all the way home and sat with clutch in then?

Update Reply
RustyKnight @ 15/08/2009 14:56  

Depends on where you fill up too! I used to average 1000 miles a week in my car, filling up at the cheapest places I could find (mostly supermarkets) but found this to be false economy. The difference between the light coming on was as much as 80miles @ 37mpg average when only saving maybe £1 at the pumps. I now never fill up in supermarkets and have noticed a difference in mpg with bike, car and van(diesel). Obviously different driving techniques will make a difference too, the fill up on my bandit differs by 40miles a tank steady riding against pushing on a bit.

Update Reply
lezg @ 15/08/2009 15:04  

The better MPG was achieved going there I suppose you'd call it going down hill all the way lol (well dahn sarf) anyway lol. Still acheived 235ish before reserve on way back but I came back via A roads as it was shorter, took motorways going as I just wanted to arrive in decent time! Was filled up at Morrisons before I set off...........

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/08/2009 15:07  

that blows my theory outta the water then

Update Reply
lezg @ 15/08/2009 15:10  

Mini V does amazing....80mpg if you pootle round town and if I keep her at a steady 60-70mph she still does 60mpg!!!!

Funny you have started this thread....I am missing my Flo...the fiat...I drove all the way to North Wales all round and down to Denbigh on £20 diesel..I currently have a courtesy car...Chevrolet Matiz (DONT LAUGH!!!) and its supping ....Ive put £40 in so far this week and have not done much atall....rubbish..it doesnt pull with all four of us in...I have to constantly thrash her to get up any of the hills around here!!! LOL

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 15/08/2009 17:30  

Lez, I have noticed that as well, fill up at a big name petrol station and I get an extra 30 miles to the tank! I don't understand why as the RON octane is based on energy released from fuel and its resistance to pre-detonation so in theory petrol of a certain Ron should be the same no matter where you buy it from. Still tend to use Tesco tho as I dont have any "name" petrol stations unless I go way out of my way to fuel.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/08/2009 17:50  

Be fair Rose lol my bike and trailer combi probably weigh twice your mini v (plus it's modern fuel injected engine management!) Daewoo Matiz (just because Chevy bought it will never get rid of that lol) Fix It Again Tomorrow Fiats (when running and not broken down lol) are very frugal cars when around 1200ccs (petrol) never been near a diesel one to make a comment! Morrisons tend to be the cheapest fuel in my area (matched by Tescos) but I pass Morrisons to go into town and Tescos are in the CTR or the other side of town as is Asda.... A mate also aggrees with you both on the better quality fuel is worth the 1-3p a litre more as he gets better milage on his BMW 1200c and he does a hell of a lot of miles every day Sheffield to the other side of hull and back everyday!

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/08/2009 17:53  

I dont look at the mileage/mpg as it would cause me sleepless nights ! I hate the fact that my Mondeo does more to the gallon than my bike. 150 miles and there has to be a petrol station and i mean has to be ! Reserve is only there to allow me to find it,quickly !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/08/2009 17:53  

Try 90 miles and NO reserve...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 15/08/2009 18:01  

LOL Jock you've got two sports bikes I take it your Mondeo is not the ST sports model? which returns about 18MPG! Well you'd think a country that has such vast distances would produce a bike that'd be able to do a hell of a lot more to a tank full TC lol.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/08/2009 18:02  

That's pretty impressive statistics, HR! Just out of interest, did you experience any time loss, see strange flashing lights or find strange metal objects embedded in your body anywhere..?

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 15/08/2009 18:04  

Yeah, HR... maybe they don't ride it like I do... he heh

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 15/08/2009 18:05  

Well funny you should say that TC............. My sat nav said it was 3:30 when I arrived at Bristol (was bloody 4:30 lol) the auto time update never has worked on it! It's caught me out before and I have had to maually set it but had not bothered to look at the time it said it was as I set it up! Great stats (just an awfully long and pretty boring day!) Apart from all the pretty young women in Loughborough phwooorrr mind you it is a University Town.........

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/08/2009 18:06  

Hull ! The label on the tin says "sports tourer" Well you wouldnt get much touring done on 150 miles a throw.Should say "sports short haul only" Cant knock it though its awesome ! 10 year old now (the blacky) and still like new.Never even thought about trading it,will keep it till it dies. TC thats obscene ! mind you at the prices that they pay for "gas" its affordable ! Us non complaining,dont argue with the establishment muppets over here deserve what we get !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/08/2009 18:17  

Hey Hull I was a student in Loughborough in the 80s lol!!!!

FIAT...hey the diesel was brilliant....so cheap to run insurance group 5 £140 tax for year....excellent fuel economy..Ive had her since April and have done over 5k in her with no hitches until I swerved to miss some twat in a head on...and to avoid ploughing into lots of little children hiking on the road with two leaders....she is at the moment in Nationwide Crash Repair Centres...I would rather have her back anyday..than this stupid Matiz!!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 15/08/2009 18:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email