MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Police Warn Bikers - Don't Strip Off

Police Warn Bikers - Don't Strip Off (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Police Warn Bikers - Don't Strip Off (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Police Warn Bikers - Don't Strip Off

What were you nodding with?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/08/2009 17:41  

I missed you two Wise Guys.....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 06/08/2009 18:15  

Maybe they winked at you instead ??

Update Reply
excalibur @ 06/08/2009 19:08  

Maybe they winked at you instead ?? In the words of XK: 'what with?' I agree with you TeeCee, the 'wise guys' are always missed

Update Reply
Sandi @ 07/08/2009 09:56  

It makes my stomach turn over when I see bikers not protected...I was 18 and on the back of my friend and had a high speed accident..I was wearing all the protection I could possibly have at that time...yet all my leathers were ripped off me...Ive still got the scars to prove it...I always weather leather trousers with armour....I dont care if its hot Id rather keep my skin thank you!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 07/09/2009 23:59  

I completely agree with you Rose, I can't help but think *idiot* when I see people not kitted out properly but I guess at the end of the end, it's their choice and who am I to pass judgement on that. They must know the risk they are taking by not wearing protective clothing so therefore are taking a calculated risk. I haven't managed to find any leathers that fit me so it's textiles for me. My first handful of times on a bike were in no protective clothing at all other than a helmet and gloves as I didn't have any. The cold alone made me buy proper clothing as soon as I certain biking was something I was continuing with, nevermind anything else! If people are willing to take the risk then it's their choice but it never fails to amaze me how many believe that jeans offer good protection - yeah, better protection than shorts maybe but that's about it.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 08/09/2009 07:50  

Calculated risk indeed. I guess it goes with the territory. I wouldn't ride an ass rocket, racing bike with anything but the best protection, but am happy enough to pooter round on my cruiser in Jeans and T shirt. That said, my kids are kitted up to the eyeballs when they are on the bike... and always complain about it!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 08/09/2009 07:58  

The ladies are correct peeps, wear those armoured leather or textile trousers, you know it makes sense. At the end of the day it is the individual's decision, but I do wonder a little when I see people wearing a good jacket, boots, gloves and just jeans when the majority of motorcycle accident injuries are to the legs. I personally am not sure it should be the individual's decision. I know many are still angry that it is law we have to wear a helmet, but I sometimes question whether it should be law that we wear full protective gear. After all, it ain't so much the limiting of pain and suffering that we are talking about but the minimising of costs to the tax payer when an accident victim is taken to hospital.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/09/2009 08:06  

I seriously hope we do not get hit with more legislation about what we have to wear on a bike. There is also the point of being able to afford the high quality/high priced clothing. I know, it's your life, but when money is tight and it comes down to a choice between riding with jeans or not riding at all... I know what I would choose every time.

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 08/09/2009 08:09  

Fair point Cissy. And to be incredibly hypocritical, if I were ever asked to sign yes or no to bikers being made to wear head to toe gear by law, I'd sign no. Partly because of the big brother legislative aspects and partly because sometimes it can be convenient to just wear jeans if you're nipping down to the local shop. However, I am aware of the expense incurred as a result of road traffic accidents and it is immense. If wearing leathers or proper textiles could save even 1% of this you'd be looking at a huge sum.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/09/2009 12:58  

*whispers*...Just come back from riding my bike in glorious sunshine wearing a T shirt, waistcoat and jeans! The person I went out with was wearing only a waistcoat on his top half! Thankfully he has a good bod...so it looked yummy!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 08/09/2009 13:49  

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/09/2009 16:38  

Where I live (UAE), people ride turbo 'busas in shorts and flipflops which is mad but there are surprisingly few fatals as a result of this. You can wear full racing gear but if white van man or school run mum pulls out in front of you're still dead. Radar is essential.

Update Reply
jimdrane @ 08/09/2009 16:39  

same as where i came from Jd ..t-shirt denims and lid mostly , if you have colors then waistcoat as well ...silly when i think about it now although i did the same while there. lol

Update Reply
excalibur @ 08/09/2009 16:49  

Education, not legislation... There are plenty of casual LOOKING clothes out there which afford you SOME protection, which is what I normally wear but if I am doing lots of high speed riding then I will wear my leathers. Lets not kid ourselves though - even a full race suit is not going to make you invincible in the event of an accident on the road.(*edit* as jd correctly pointed out above!) As stated before, I love riding in a sweat top and cargo trousers and will just have to put up with the dissapproving looks I get from other riders (even though both are kevlar lined and the top has forearm/elbow guards). I know the facts, I know what I like.....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 08/09/2009 18:26  

each to his own ...within reason i say , in hot climates its difficult to wear full kit at all times...but i'd never go without proper biking boots & gloves .

Update Reply
excalibur @ 08/09/2009 20:15  

Ditto on the gloves and boots, exc!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 08/09/2009 21:15  

I love bikes I also love the freedom..........I know the risks but b******s one life, live free. I hate wearing helmets so I wear an illegal import, I also wear jeans, T -shirt and I don't give a toss about anyone else or what the other bikers out there think. We all know the risks but we also must respect the fact that their are people like me who love to ride free unhindered by the big brother mentallity that exists today.....So I guess im with you TC know the risks make the choice its that simple

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/09/2009 11:34  

Hey u guys can strip off as much as you like just mind post the pics lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 09/09/2009 11:46  

Bj thought I sent you those type of pics before

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/09/2009 11:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email