MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Police Warn Bikers - Don't Strip Off

Police Warn Bikers - Don't Strip Off - Forums [Biker Match] Police Warn Bikers - Don't Strip Off - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Police Warn Bikers - Don't Strip Off

Police are warning bikers not to strip off during the hot weather and to continue wearing their protective clothing. A recent collision in which a teenage moped rider escaped serious injury has highlighted the need for riders to ensure they are fully protected. The collision occurred on Friday 26 June, on the Malton to Butterwick road. The moped and a Land Rover collided on a bend, with the rider becoming trapped underneath the car as his helmet jammed between the road and the vehicle. While the rider was able to walk away after releasing his helmet, the car had to be jacked up to remove the helmet. The rider escaped serious injury and sustained minor scratches to his hands and forearms as they were the only part of his body not covered by protective clothing. PC Andrew Pomfret who attended the collision, said: "Despite the hot weather and predicted heat-wave, I cannot stress how important it is for bikers to wear protective clothing and equipment. "I've seen many bike and moped riders wearing only shorts and t-shirts during the recent spell of hot weather. With more warm weather on the way, we want to warn bikers of the possible consequences of not wearing their protective gear. Please ensure you are fully protected before venturing out on the roads, the consequences could be fatal. "It is also illegal not to wear a crash helmet, not to mention incredibly foolish."

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 05/08/2009 19:10  

More warm weather on the way? HUH? When? Where?

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 05/08/2009 19:13  

tomorrow cissy, sat and sun, fri showery, 22 degrees through till sun

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/08/2009 19:14  

I sometimes just wear a long sleeved shirt or a hoodie but both have Kevlar lined sleeves and VISCOTEC armour on the elbows and forearms. Can really recommend them (for low speed work - obviously assess the risks of your journey). Check out BulletProof clothing. I do get some disapproving looks from some bikers and members of the public though.....

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 05/08/2009 19:16  

Aaaah... ok ta Ian... off to Bristol tomorrow for the "all my mates have gone to Bulldog so we are going to get pissed on our own meeting"... sorry I won't see ya there mate...but don't worry, I WILL find you one day!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 05/08/2009 19:16  

hope so...tomorrow cant come quick enough......cant wait

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/08/2009 19:23  

tc risk assesment i think is the key if i go out on a short run not wearing full kit the speed drops and the radar works overtime, but i personaly would never wear shorts i have seen someone sit on a bike that was hot just to check it out and they ended up having hospital treatment for a burn. going to check out the bullet proof hoodies they sound like a good bit of kit.

Update Reply
punkdude @ 05/08/2009 19:31  

when i had my harley, i did used to go out, just jeans t shirt gloves, bad i now....even at 20 mph your gonna lose more the one layer of your epidermis......but i agree my radar was more active.....but still not setting a good example

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/08/2009 19:34  

My canvas Icon jeans have full Kevlar lining (but no hard armour) but ALWAYS wear proper gloves and boots. Must admit it is a bit kinky riding into the sunset on a deserted road with casual LOOKING gear on, shirt flapping around your waist... feels so wrong but at the same time sooooooooo right

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 05/08/2009 19:39  

TeeCee in SA 99% of bikers are guilty of under dressing for short bike rides because of the sometimes unbearable heat , i've lost a few mates because of that , i for one never again did the t-shirt , shorts and sandal biking scene after i burnt my calf on the exhaust (only once) and never again it took months to heal , but yes t-shirt with denims and leather vest often , and i ALWAYS use gloves because i work with my hands....helmet obviously.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 05/08/2009 19:41  

with ya there tc......

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/08/2009 19:41  

NEVER ever ever ridden in shorts (nor would you with my legs!)... but am guilty of riding in a T Shirt and waistcoat. I did today and got very wet

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 05/08/2009 19:56  

large white shirt over a leather jkt helps reflect the heat! i wear a levi denim jkt sometimes but with back protector and elbow guards,jeans have knee and shin guards underneath! i am guilty of never ever owning a full face helmet!!cant stand the things!! i know jaw gone in a smash but hey ho some risks are acceptable!!i dont get many snogs now anyhow!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 05/08/2009 20:30  

Aaaaw TM... I almost felt sorry for ya then. I have both an open face and full face...but I prefer the open one....cos then I can glare at car drivers so much easier....

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 05/08/2009 20:33  

im guilty shorts vest boots helmet gloves to go the quarter mile to work on sunny days

Update Reply
dunans @ 05/08/2009 20:34  

Cissy you must peep thru the curtains before you ride lol..it helps

Update Reply
excalibur @ 05/08/2009 20:35  

shorts......boots..... hmmmmm

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 05/08/2009 20:35  

on my pic got boots and shorts on while my helmet is next to my vest :). just the steel toe work boots

Update Reply
dunans @ 05/08/2009 20:46  

*squints at pic*.... oh yeah..... was too busy looking at ur naked chest! lmfao!

Update Reply
cissystar650 @ 05/08/2009 20:48  

imagine dunans when givin me that snog!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 05/08/2009 21:02  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email