MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

recommendations for ireland

recommendations for ireland - Forums [Biker Match] recommendations for ireland - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

recommendations for ireland

so has any one got any suggestions? what to see, where to go, what not to see?

Update Reply
julie j @ 23/07/2009 10:12  

Take waterproofs!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 23/07/2009 11:16  

anybody got a snorkle?

Update Reply
julie j @ 23/07/2009 11:25  

sorry julie never been to ireland although i must have some relations there as my grandparents came from tipperary whic i believe is a beautiful place but to be honest i would opt for southern ireland i'm told its a very friendly place

Update Reply
UKHarleyRider @ 23/07/2009 11:32  

In September 2002 my late hubby and I spent our honeymoon touring Southern Ireland on a bike..it was one of the best tours we ever did...the scenery is smashing the hotels fantastic..(Better to book up front!) and I would recommend the Dingle Peninsular...spectacular....and the full Ring of Kerry..the roads are a bit on and off out there..we took a brand new XJR and had to have the Ohlin shocks redone when we got back..we said the only thing we would have changed after riding over 2000 miles in a week was to next time hire a bike out there so we wouldnt have the wear and tear on ours again...we travelled over by the Sea Cat..much faster but dearer from Holyhead..yes it was wet in places..but it mainly rained at night....we also rode off the main routes and discovered all the mountain ranges...beautiful roads..but they tend to have a mismash of signs..some in celtic...n road nos and modern road numbers..its best to get a map with all these on...we did find one...have tried looking for it but it must have got lost when I moved recently...

I want to go round there again but in the future not as a pilly but riding myself...give yourself plenty of time...you will need it...and most of all Julie really enjoy it..it was the best biking tour we ever did...

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 24/07/2009 14:51  

guiness factory

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2009 14:53  

YEP missed that one out...a definite MUST..and the Wicklow Gaol..great fun...lol

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 24/07/2009 14:55  

i wouldnt leave rose lmao..love the stuff

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2009 14:57  

Had to drag Baz out..it was his favourite drink..he got absolutely drunk as a skunk! Thank goodness we was staying down the road and he had parked the bike up for the night!...(I couldnt ride then! so there would have been a problem!)

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 24/07/2009 15:05  

If you go to Dublin take a trip on the viking ship, it goes in water and on land, you all have to wear helmets and shout weird stuff. Ian already has the hat and the weirdness surprised he hasnt got the acccent !

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 24/07/2009 15:06  

PMSL at BJ....bet hes been really LOL

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 24/07/2009 15:07  

to be sure to be sure to be sure

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2009 15:09  

BC think he could actually be the inspiration for the whole thing

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 24/07/2009 15:10  

thanks for all of your comments, keep em comin I`m gettin all excited now!

Update Reply
julie j @ 24/07/2009 15:38  

really envious julie, never been, would love to go

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2009 15:39  

Just enjoy Ireland...wonderful place Julie..you will have a fab time! BELIEVE ME!!! Just will have to meet up at Squires for the piccies afterwards...

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 24/07/2009 17:32  

Julie

If it were me i wud have 2 go kiss the Blarney Stone and go on the hunt for my own wee leprachaun

If you want a hint at how to swear in gaelic let me know lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 24/07/2009 18:51  

I will give my tuppence. I went for a mini tour in November last year. Any of the coast roads are absolutely amazing. If you head for the Southwest of Ireland then it tends to be warmer, sunnier etc because of the gulf stream hitting those shores. Accomodation is plentiful, and you shouldnt have a problem if you drop onto the back roads, it seems every other mile there is a B&B. Dingle & Kerry peninsulars are stunning, but busy during the holiday season, I would recomment the Burran (sp?) and the Cliffs of Moha (sp?) on the way up from Kerry to Galway Dont worry about the bad roads, as Ireland has had a lot of EEC money poured into it recently, so unless you are heading down a single track road then they have usually been re-surfaced. They are also building new motorways, so you will drop onto a new road for one junction then end up back on the road you were on and only a couple of miles down it. BUT dont trust the milage signs, you will be told that Cork is 50 miles, 40 miles, 48 miles 25 miles and 37miles in that order! Saying that about new roads being built, there are a few roadworks and missing road signs, I found that picking a busy ish route roughly in the direction I was going until I saw another sign works. Watch out for the ramps of tarmac as they are re-surfacing, as they dont put signs out like they do here. I was given the following advice by two Irish bikers on the ferry:- Irish drivers are not bike aware, so make sure you can be seen, and they dont always look when doing any overtakes etc! Trucks will sometimes move out of your way to let you past. If a car does, it doesnt always mean for you to pass, half the time the driver is just aimlessly wandering round the lane. Filtering is legal, but you will get pipped as the Irish driver seems to think that it is very rude and dangerous. They are not blocking you out of spite, they are just trying to save you from an accident. Its best to wear Hi Viz as every little helps. Irish drving standards are terrible! All I will say is, yep, I agree, and thanks lads but couldnt you tell me that as I landed not as I was leaving Ireland Most of all I would say the most important thing is not to rush, the Irish people are extremely hospitable, stop and chat a while, ask the locals for recomendations as you get a cuppa, you will have an absolute blast over there. Oh and dont drink too much Guiness, it does strange things to you if you are not used to it. And I am saying no more on that point.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/07/2009 18:53  

Jeez, sorry folks, didnt realise how long that post was. Sorry Julie, I know we had already discussed this over a cuppa

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/07/2009 18:58  

thanks frag we had but this way you remind me of anything ive forgotten and also lots of good info for anyone else thinking of going

Update Reply
julie j @ 24/07/2009 19:17  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email