MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Honda XL125V bit of oil leak

Honda XL125V bit of oil leak - Forums [Biker Match] Honda XL125V bit of oil leak - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Honda XL125V bit of oil leak

Found a slight oil leak on me Mini V...NK kindly came round as he lives locally to see for himself...the bottom gasket of the twin head nearest to seat is ok..but there has been a slight leak in a lip there..which looks like a bit of recess... Any ideas folks what might be causing it...(before trying to rectify it Im hoping to change oil filter and oil)...and how to rectify it please? Thanks!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 15/05/2009 14:14  

It might just be a blown gasket? but if it is, its likely to be oil pressure thats blown it In which case it'll need replacing But the "good" news is, if its not been under pressure where its leaking from, a smear of clear silicone sealant should suffice Bit difficult to diagnose without seeing it Could be several different things Rose Any way you could show a picture ?

Update Reply
Emzed @ 15/05/2009 14:26  

Update:-

It appears to be coming from the base of the rear cylinder, just underneath the cam chain tensioner, where there's an approx 5mm circular recess on the main crank casing. Damn it, should have taken a pic, . Not leaking much, just that its making a mess on her drive! Front tyre at 15psi wasn't helping her ridding either, now shes soon gona be getting her knee down by the look of it, .

Update Reply
Newkid @ 15/05/2009 14:28  

Thanks for that NK....!!! Yep you KNOW I will be getting me knee down very very soon!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 15/05/2009 14:32  

Anybody missing a point here? You've just bought this bike (if dealer) take it back and tell em to get it sorted, or several thousand bikers will hear of how you feel they ripped you off lol.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/05/2009 17:35  

Sorry Rose can't help, my idea of mechanics is to phone a mate - luckily a few of my mates are HGV ftter's. Hope she will be better by Monday, keep putting oil in it!!!

Update Reply
Jansky1960 @ 15/05/2009 17:50  

Update Reply
Jansky1960 @ 15/05/2009 17:55  

Just took a load out, was overfilled, we thought it may be that was causing it, alas no!! Private purchase HR, no dealers on this one, but the leaks diddy but messy, so topping ups not a prob.

Update Reply
Newkid @ 15/05/2009 19:31  

Hence HR I didnt dare take her all the way to Whitby til NK and I sort this problem out....thanks anyway...still leaking though.....and I need that oil and filter changing now!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 18/05/2009 11:41  

is it leaking from the tensioner? I only ask because it would not be unusual if the bike had its tensioner replaced at some point as rather a lot were defective, try tightening the tensioner housing a little.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 18/05/2009 12:06  

Oil leaks are always a "worry" on bikes but if it makes you feel any better, some VERY famous bikes have had oil leaks and still Won the TT A good old saying from my youth was ... "if its coming out, its going round" So apart from leaving its "mark", dont worry Rose its not "terminal" Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 18/05/2009 15:35  

Hey Ghosty I havent got a blooming clue...will have to consult NK... Em....hope it isnt cos shes me pride and joy...and I cant stand the thought of losing her!! SAD I know!!! Goodness knows what Im going to be like with a bigger bike when I get my test done!!! After being pilly with the faster lot yesterday its made me yearn for something with ummmmph!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 18/05/2009 17:01  

Going to have a quick look at oil level in moment and see if she is leaking still...will report back later...TTFN

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 19/05/2009 14:28  

Be careful out there

Update Reply
Emzed @ 19/05/2009 14:29  

hey emz...after doing the work on rosies bike..and looking for a leak..i think its just coming out of the breather pipe buddy

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/05/2009 14:35  

* Ahem* I was going to suggest it may be the breather.. as Ziggy had a slight leak and it turned out the breather clip had come lose. Thanks Mr P for noticing that .. and he hasn't leaked since!

Update Reply
Karey @ 21/05/2009 15:52  

Thanks Ian Em and Kaz...lets hope so!!!! Its great news Kaz to hear Ziggy is up and well again!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 21/05/2009 22:32  

Still leaking oil

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 22/05/2009 17:34  

Latest opinion....someone has cross threaded bolts on lower casing and thus the bottom gasket needs replacing..now I'm no expert but I'm scared of being ripped off! Is this an expensive job?...Could anyone help me please...pretty please?

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 30/05/2009 22:23  

have timesrt kit if needed not far away let us all know like the news letter!

Update Reply
crowcat @ 06/06/2009 19:27  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email