MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Honda CBF600S

Honda CBF600S - Forums [Biker Match] Honda CBF600S - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Honda CBF600S

After yesterday ride home (partly in tears) from Matlock I am seriously thinking the Virago 535 isn't the bike for me. I have been looking now for a while at alternative bikes and have decided although not test ridden that I like the CBR600S does anyone have any comments or experiences regards this bike to help me in making my mind up. I have found one on ebay I really like and am thinking of going to look at it at the week end.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 20/04/2009 11:39  

The riding position is very different to the 535, so a test ride is a must. Take a knowledgeable friend to check it over. What was the problem with the Virago?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/04/2009 11:48  

Hi xk I think some of my problems yesterday were down to being tired so am sure that had a bearing on my riding. I just feel that at times the bike and me seem to be fighting each other. I don't seem to power it round corners very well and when riding it at a faster pace on open roads I am looking for another gear (6th) which isn't there. if that makes sense. I also wonder if the style of bike is too small for me, I am a tall person on a short persons bike. Before I got the 535 I had a Virago 125 and a Yamaha SR125 and I enjoyed riding the SR best. I had never riden a bike until I got my Virago 125 and only chose that style of bike because I liked the bike club for them. it's a bit typical girlie that, like buying a pair of shoes because there red and not worrying whether they are your size or style. The local Honda garage keep trying to encourage me to test ride the CBF even on Saturday before heading to Matlock I was in there looking at them again, especially as they have a secondhand low milleage one in at the moment and there hard to get hold of secondhand

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 20/04/2009 12:17  

Dips - have you had the restrictor taken off?? I have a vague recollection of you saying that you were now 'de-restricted' ??

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 20/04/2009 12:22  

yeah restrictors now removed and sold on. I feel I am riding worse now than when I was on L plates pre test. I am honestly wondering if I should give up biking and just go back to sitting in the corner of my local pub with my glass of stout and my knitting.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 20/04/2009 12:25  

Enough of that sort of talk Cg! U just went for a long(ish) ride on the wrong bike. Try (sit on) a few others til u find one u r comfortable with. Test ride a few even. It will be a whole new ball game.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/04/2009 12:36  

There's room in life for both biking and corner-sitting while knitting & stout drinking, lady!

Being tired really doesn't help - it's hard enough pillying when you're tired, let alone riding.

The proof of the pudding is in the riding... sitting on a bike in a shop isn't really enough of a flavour, you really do need to get out there and try riding different bikes. The different riding positions make a huge difference to the way you have to ride and the degree of comfort/discomfort you'll feel.

Try not to give up what you've worked so hard to achieve, but do find a way to make it fun and fulfilling It's represented such huge life changes for you and it's been hard work on so many levels - I can barely begin to imagine just how much work! You've achieved amazing results and it just shows you for the gutsy individual you are... you're a very determined lady and your attitude to life's curve-balls should be blueprinted for others to aspire to!

Hang in there CG & have a boosting to be going on with, til you find the bike with your name plastered all over it xxx

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 20/04/2009 12:50  

I agree with all thats been said thus far....................and I love my CBR, but it's horses for courses, and you need to find what you are happy with

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 20/04/2009 15:45  

Dips - don'tyou even dare thinking about giving up biking!! as everyone has said, you just need to find the 'right' bike for you & I agree & double dose everything that WB has said!! xxxxx

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 20/04/2009 16:08  

i used to look for 'sixth'gear on my America[860cc] until i changed the front sprocket for a larger one, prob solved you may lose slight accelaration but it was not really noticable,the triumph America's are are nice alternative to other cruiser's maybe you should try one out!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 20/04/2009 16:53  

Cant change the sprocket on a Virago Dave...they shafties lol. You are dead right about the Virago CG, They are cramped and they are in desperate need of a sixth gear. I ran one for years. The CBF is an excellent bike, totally faultless. Do bear in mind that compared to the Virago the brakes will be ferocious and obviously the consumerbles like tyres are going to be a lot more expensive. You will also need to budget for a chain and sprocket set every couple of years unless you spend £75 on a Scottoiler. I would not hesitate to recommend the CBF, the engines are well proven and being a Honda the build quality will be a lot better than any Yamaha. Power wise you will notice a huge difference, the CBR will be far more eager to pick up its skirts when needed but is ultra smooth when pootling about too. The handling is galaxies ahead of your Virago too ( a CBF actually has ground clearance!) I say go for it girl, your old enough and sensible enough to take your time and learn the bike. And I may add that EVERYONE has crap days on their bikes when it just does not all gell together, the more frustrated or tired you get , the worse the riding gets so don't worry at all about that.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 20/04/2009 18:59  

Like Jim says, we've all had days when for one reason for another we just haven't clicked with the bike, or vice versa.
Get a good night's sleep, and blag as many test rides as you can.
Just a thought: are your tyre pressures OK? Different bikes react in different ways to underinflated tyres, and if the Virago is fairly tolerant to soft tyres you might be left with this vague feeling that it's handling like pig without knowing exactly why.

Update Reply
Wills @ 20/04/2009 19:09  

Sorry I didn't say Hi yesterday Wills !

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 20/04/2009 19:31  

Although CG was tired when we left yesterday. What caused CG to have to pull over and quite rightly was the numpty car driver that took offence at us sticking to the speed limits on the A6 and kept tailgating her. It was already taking all her concentration to ride. That incident just tipped it over. CG did everthing right. If your feeling pressured by drivers then just find a place to pull over and let them past. Recompose yourself and carry on. You can't argue with a car and getting home in one piece always comes first.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 20/04/2009 19:47  

Don;t worry Jim, no offence taken, you can't speak to everyone all the time. I thin you even managed to avoid having your picture taken!

Update Reply
Wills @ 20/04/2009 20:34  

CG you sound so down about your biking. Its just a glitch and I know you are a good rider. You enjoy riding and for you to feel like this is not you. So come to the rose and crown wednesday and i will buy you a coffee! You did say a couple of weeks ago about changing the style of bike and that means if your thinking about it then its a must. The bike world would not be the same without ya. Oh and by the way.... Knitting is old fashioned now and crochet is in! Be good Lin xx

Update Reply
moonstone @ 20/04/2009 20:45  

Gggggrrrr! I hate tailgaters!

That's the only way to deal with them, pull over and let the numpty go. Just because he/she's tired of life, doesn't mean to say they get to take ME out with them! And that's when I'm driving a car... if I ever get my act/finances together for a bike, it'll apply double!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 20/04/2009 21:08  

Totally agree..........hate tailgaters!

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 20/04/2009 21:58  

have you become a better rider over time and grown out of it? are you bored and dont realise it? you have a full licence so go out and try anything that you fancy and if you dont find what you like then stick with what youve got, dont get yourself upset, its time to move on. think i recall you asking santa for a cbf6oo and i said if he got me my street triple then you could have my cbf5oo so its been on your mind a while now (hope im thinking of the right person lol) just go for it!

Update Reply
julie j @ 20/04/2009 22:02  

A Virago 535 is woefully under powered and handle poorly compaired with almost any std bike (I.e. non cruser style) being tailgated at 60mph is no fun when you are tired and maybe would not just give the throttle a squirt to get ahead of the pillock who's doing it to you (good job you did not it could have been a plain clothed cop car goeding you to go faster opperation achilles is a real threat to all riders) I'd say take the CB for a test ride I can testify along with many others to the build quality and smoothness of Honda multiples and an ex owned a 535 I rode it as she was awaiting her test bloody awful little bike but she was only 5'1" and liked the style........

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 21/04/2009 11:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email