MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Squires to Whitby The Scenic Route

Squires to Whitby The Scenic Route - Forums [Biker Match] Squires to Whitby The Scenic Route - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Squires to Whitby The Scenic Route

Following the brilliant day out in the Dales at the very capable hands of Blueboy and Cassie, I thought I'd throw my oar in and suggest a run on roads that I know well. The idea is to travel from Squires in Sherburn to Whitby for fish and chips at the Magpie Cafe avoiding main roads where ever possible. The route, based upon one I sent to friends recently goes from Squires, through Sherburn and Cawood to the south of York. A brief stint on the A64 and the York outer ring road brings us to the B1363 heading north to Helmsley for an ice cream break. From here, instead of the usual (and to be fair wonderful, but heavily policed) A169, my route will turn left at Kirkbymoorside and head directly over the Moors passing Hutton-le-Hole, Rosedale Abbey and Grosmont. The ride will end at Whitby where people can make their own ways home. It is around 80 miles in length and the roads are not particularly fast and so will be ideal for newbies. I am thinking of sometime around mid-May or June. Thoughts??

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 14/04/2009 15:45  

my route will turn left at Kirkbymoorside and head directly over the Moors passing Hutton-le-Hole, Rosedale Abbey and Grosmont U thievin toerag! - thas my route, I found it first - it's mine I tell you, mine.(ask kenny). So yes I am up fer it. And be good to have 2 peeps who know the road.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/04/2009 17:07  

sounds fun, would be up for this as long as it does not clash farmyard (19-20-21) june, where roads around Helmsley would be manic!! never mind XK you will just have to be quicker off mark for credits for next route

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/04/2009 18:09  

That's a good route, there's an even better one if you turn left in Pickering and go past the station to Staple and on to Grosmont but lets face it people in Yorkshire we're blessed with good routes and we've all got our favourites, I still love the the A169 though .

Could be up for this as long as it doesn't clash.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 14/04/2009 20:05  

Sounds cool Geoff (and thanks for the nice comment). We'll definitely be up for that, I've always wanted to get to know a more scenic route from Squires to Whitby (and vice-versa). No particular preference on dates at this moment, anytime suits fine.

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 14/04/2009 20:08  

Nice one big G. Would be up for that finances permitting

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 14/04/2009 20:09  

That goes for me too, as long as it dont clash wi a rally Maybe an evenin run Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 14/04/2009 20:11  

Geoff, shouldn't that be fish and chips at the Quarterdeck?

Update Reply
prof @ 14/04/2009 21:00  

I think we can safely agree that us Yorkshire folk are blessed both with many a good biking route to Whitby, but also many a good fish and chippie when we get there!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 14/04/2009 21:22  

Be sure to take your credit card, when I saw the price of fish n chips there I thought I'd been mugged lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/04/2009 22:21  

So can we take your credit card then Kwak?

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 14/04/2009 22:52  

I just posted and it vanished Yep if I had a credit card you could (I only have a debit card) but there's never owt in my account

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/04/2009 23:09  

Will we be going anywhere near Goathland, eh Geoff? Kwak - I bet all your money's stuffed in your mattress

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 14/04/2009 23:18  

We could easily head to Goathland Blue .... it's only a couple of miles from where we join the 169. I had planned on taking a route THROUGH Goathland, but I think you can only access it (easily) from the 169. But yeah, if people are interested, this wouldn't be a problem. If anyone is wondering what Goathland is, it's the village where they filmed the TV series Heartbeat. And when we do get to Whitby for our fish and chips ... Kwak has kindly offered to pay lol.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 15/04/2009 07:14  

And when we do get to Whitby for our fish and chips ... Kwak has kindly offered to pay lol. ROFL I have just two words for you Geoff...Get stretched!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/04/2009 21:29  

I though at least 1 would be OFF Let him choose the other

Update Reply
Emzed @ 16/04/2009 00:42  

Would love to join in on that run as well please. A Sunday would be best for me.

Update Reply
napoleon @ 17/04/2009 22:35  

I have now submitted this to the events board for Sunday 17th May which doesn't seem to clash with anything on there at the mo. The plan is to meet in Squires around half ten, leave at 11, so if anyone is wanting a cuppa and a bacon sarnie before we are off, you need to be there earlier. The route as explained previously will be Sherburn, Cawood, then around York and north to Helmsley for a stop (we may stop in between dependant on time etc). Then a run across the Moors via Rosedale Abbey and Grosmont. Time allowing we will have a stop at Goathland just south of Grosmont off the A169. The route takes in some of the prettier areas of the North Yorks Moors and being smaller, quieter roads would be ideal for 125s and newbies. The ride out will end at Whitby with fish and chips at the Magpie or similar. Afterwards people can take off as they please and make their own way home.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 20/04/2009 06:40  

Would love to come, but the BMF is on that weekend & I'm going shopping lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Jansky1960 @ 20/04/2009 09:10  

count me in, will need directions to squires though, yes folks ive never been to squires!!!!will ask at tan hill!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 20/04/2009 12:34  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email