MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

BTK Leathers

BTK Leathers - Forums [Biker Match] BTK Leathers - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

BTK Leathers

I am an odd shape. Legs as thick as your average prop-forward, but half the length and with a chest and back that Swarzenegger would be proud of but carefully protected by a layer of blubber all topped off by a very wide neck of virtually no length. Although this makes for some very interesting talking points (or laughing points if you're my better half), it really makes finding motorcycle clothing that fits virtually impossible. I have had made to measure leathers in the past, including a one piece BKS race suit which was probably the heaviest, most protective bit of clothing I have ever worn and I am absolutely certain that it was this that allowed me to simply get up and walk away after a very high speed off in Wales. Having recently struggled to find any armoured leather trousers that fit in any way acceptable I decided it was time to get some made to measure again. That was when I noticed that BTK (voted No. 1 for made to measure in Rider Power) were having a special offer of buy a pair of trousers, get a jacket free. So today, after prearranging it, I travelled to their shop in Nottingham to get measured up and to discuss what I want. I was a little surprised at the shop. It is only a small corner shop and contains a small back room, with the main shop being little more than the leather clothing factory itself, complete with scraps of leather all over the floor!! However, although being a little apprehensive, a quick inspection of some of the finished suits hung up around the shop reminded me of how well made and strong made to measure leather clothing is. Twenty minutes later and I was all measured up by the owner (who's name escapes me) and I was discussing exactly what I wanted. I have chosen a two piece suit partly for convenience and partly so that I can use the trousers with a gore-tex jacket. Plain black trousers with a red, gun metal grey and black jacket. A connecting zip and full CE spec armour from top to toe finish the suit. I can decide whether I want slider velcro (for posing) and any perforated leather for comfort later on. I will be going back in about three weeks when he has made a material mock up for the final fitting and I'll let you all know how it fits then. Oh, the price .... the trousers are £195 and I am getting the plain, unarmoured jacket worth £240 for free. So after you add in the costs of armour for trousers and jacket and the colours for the jacket the total price is £350. Not cheap I accept, but the non-offer price is £590, so it's pretty much half price and if it's half as protective and comfortable as my old BKS suit I'll be dead chuffed. Watch this space.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 06/04/2009 18:35  

Alternatively, you could ask Michelin...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/04/2009 19:12  

Wish you had posted before buying. I went to BTK last March for made to measure leathers, I got the Jacket January this year and I am still waiting for the trousers to show up. Its been over a year so far from beginning to end. I have made about 5 trips to Nottingham and the Leathers still are not fitting correctly. The owners name is John, I have almost memorised the number I have had to ring it that many times asking where my leathers are! I have the Jacket, but no shoulder armour as it was the wrong shape, I am waiting for the trousers. Apparently they will be here last Wednesday. I paid on my credit card and tried to go through their disputes system, but because I have got part of the leathers and I have no written confirmation of the order I cannot claim my money back jsut because they dont fit! Make sure you chase them relentlessly until you get your stuff. Good Luck, from my experience you will need it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 06/04/2009 19:30  

You know what Frag ... I remember you saying this now, but for some reason I thought it was MK leathers! Well, we shall see what happens. If they don't fit properly then I'll refuse both trousers and jacket. I'll let you know how I get on.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 06/04/2009 22:17  

Update: I got my leathers back, they will be returned again, they still have not adjusted the calf so they fit. Didnt get the refund of postage promised. Spoke to John at BTK, send them back after the easter weekend and he will get them back in 2 to 3 days after receipt and refund both sets of postage. I should have held a 1 year waiting anniversary party, but as its now 1 year 2 weeks, dont think there is much point ;)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 08/04/2009 19:23  

Stage 2! Went back to BTK on Saturday to try on the cotton mock up. Everything seemed fine, a couple of minor tweaks but nowt serious. And suddenly I was finished again. John suggested two to three weeks for the finished suit but as I am in France then we agreed on four weeks to the day. Being tight, I am going down to collect them to save myself the £20 postage. Watch this space ....

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 11/05/2009 08:14  

its a good price geoff but will wait to hear the outcome i think as wanted some leather trousers

Update Reply
meza95 @ 11/05/2009 10:09  

Many moons ago I had a jacket made to measure in Louth by an old guy called Reg Cross. He made one peice racing leathers and road riding gear for a lot of the top professional riders,who would call to see him for refits,repairs and new suits when they were at Cadwell Park. I can honestly say it is the best jacket I have ever bought.Even better than my Lewis which was stolen, hence the need for a visit to Reg as Lewis on the Moor in Sheff had closed. It still fits like a glove and although the sleeve zips now need replacing the leather will outlast me by a long way. Only downside to this tale is that when I went to collect my jacket I was measured for leather jeans to match. Sadly Reg died before he could complete my order so I never got the matching set I wanted all my biking life. I have bought several pairs of inferior quality jeans in the intervening years but I cant help thinking that Reg's product would still be going strong,unlike the discarded pairs. But the Jacket lives on and is testimony to a great British craftsman. R I P Reg.

Update Reply
Emzed @ 11/05/2009 10:59  

Unique Leathers in Hull do all types of leather work from arm lengthening body lengthening to full two or one peicers, customising lettering too. They also do repairs emzed so mmaybe if you could get your fav jacket repaired there you may find them good enough to see if you may get a good pair of jeans made? 01482 218292 6 Craven Street Factory Estate Craven Street North, HULL they are situated in the arches of the railway bridge on Holderness road in Hull, they have been going many years and always appear to be busy if that's any kind of recomendation...

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 11/05/2009 11:51  

Cheers H, I'll check them out when I next go to Hull to see my mate Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 11/05/2009 12:46  

I rang BKS for a set of made to measure; I was told they can't do mine as they can't kill that many cows in one sitting!....... XK...the floor is yours!

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 11/05/2009 18:26  

The saga of my leathers is still ongoing! I have been promised them by Wednesday this week! so that will be 1 year, 1 month, and 2 weeks if they show up.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 11/05/2009 22:04  

Makes me glad that I am an off the peg size.

Update Reply
Phil @ 11/05/2009 22:18  

Ahh .... to be an off the peg size lol!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 11/05/2009 22:48  

would be lovely wouldnt it geoff ! i have to find kids stuff and altho cheaper ! isnt as good at the moment

Update Reply
nina @ 12/05/2009 08:41  

My fella has to wear ladies size8 as he cant get mens leathers in a size 26 and he tried to get one piece and was told he would have one made or go to mothercare! He said he didnt think he would look good in a babygrow on a motorbike. But I didnt think you could get babygrows in 5'8" size. Mind you he does have an extremely sexy bum in his girly leathers, none of that saggy ass syndrome that men get in their leathers

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 12/05/2009 15:34  

Right, well I picked up my new leathers today. First impressions; they're gonna take some breaking in lol! The fit is very good (as in feeling slightly too tight at the moment) as you'd expect. There's a little bit of loose material around the thighs and bum when stood up, but when sat on the bike this disappears. Also, the calves are pretty tight but they'll break in fine. The quality is very good indeed with very uniform and neat stitching and triple stitching on all the vulnerable areas. The leather is thick, heavy and clearly protective and yet quite supple and the quality of the overlays is as good as I've seen. At the moment (about one hour total wear) they feel awful! Uncomfortable, tight, heavy and difficult to move around in. But then my previous made to measure gear has been exactly the same so I'm not worried about that. Interestingly, apart from having slight awkwardness in getting onto the bike, once on and seated they suddenly felt really good. Reminded me of my old BKS one piece which was practically impossible to stand up straight in when zipped up, but on the bike it fit like a slipper. Now all I have to do is break the flipping things in. Ideally, this would mean wearing them to work and then wearing the trousers for a large part of the day. However, in this heat I'm not sure I could do this and if I take them off and swell slightly over the course of the day due to the heat, I may not get the things on again! But, overall, I'm very happy. Looking forward now to showing them off to everyone.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 01/07/2009 22:03  

Get some decent leather food on them Geoff - softens them up and if ya start now, they will last longer. Renapur is pretty good although expensive, I get some stuff of my mate that she uses on her saddle (as in horse's) which is just as good if not better

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 01/07/2009 22:11  

Effax Lederbalsam from any saddlery or tack shop. Lanolin, avocado oil and beeswax, its lighter/softer than Renapur and it's amazing how much soaks into the leather. I have just reconditioned a 20 year old jacket (I can fit into it again!) with it and it has brought the leather back to good as new condition. As a bonus it's a lot cheaper than Renapur, smells good and it makes your hands really soft and waterproof at the same time as your leathers!!

Update Reply
prof @ 01/07/2009 22:59  

Nina - on the bright side you get to avoid paying VAT and it's even legal!!

Update Reply
prof @ 01/07/2009 23:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email