MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Day 6 - even more success - although nearly killed meself!

Day 6 - even more success - although nearly killed meself! - Forums [Biker Match] Day 6 - even more success - although nearly killed meself! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Day 6 - even more success - although nearly killed meself!

WOHOOOOOOOOO got up early this am to get out for a pootle on the bike -had checked the metoffice site & it said that Sat am was gonna be the best of the weekend, with Sat Pm & Sunday having major gusty winds....NO NOT Me XK!!! So anyway, got her nicely warmed up in the garage & got all me kit on. Was a tad worried about getting her onto the mian raod on me own & was planning on going right onto Dunford Road - however there was a couple of numpty vans parked there ( on the double yellows & I couldn't see bugger all - nearly drove into somoene when I was moving the car out the close & onto Craggy's carpark!!! So, anyway, bike nicely warmed up, I've allready had a few cigs to calm meself down lol. Get on & has a word with her to let her know that we're gonna do this - we are not going to go & have a chat with the camber or the bushes again!! So off we set (bike stll in the garage at this point) & YAAAAYYYYYYY got her off the drive & imediately right onto the close & up the hill to the main raod - no probs!! -- way to go me & Bike Traffic is stil pretty quiet at this time (just gone 8ish) so decides bugger it, we'll go left down into the village & attempt the right turn at the bottom (immediately followed by a zebra crossing!!!) No probs -(as no traffic & no people watching!! lol) carrys on up through Holmfirth & New Mill, on up to Victoria & then right towards Hade Edge. Note - I mentioned a right turn there!! then to Hade Edge & another right turn back down towards Holmfirth - through all the wibbly bits. Coming into Hade Edge & there's a van right up me arse (it's a 60 mph road here) no probs thinks I - however i do miss the left turn I wanted - but they no probs - I'll take the next one - which happens to be a 100 degree left (ie goes back on itself)...however, there's bit of rough ground that everyone nips over just before the left that leads onto the road I want - so figures, i''ll nip over this & get the van off me arse...however, I'd forgot there's major pot holes on the rough ground, so I'm concentrating on not hitting them, when I realise I'm right on the road I want & there's a car coming from my left.....can't stop & end up cutting across his bows & luckily (for me) there's another road I could aim for & not a stone wall....stops for a moment to laugh at meself (hysterically mind you!) & give myself a good talking too!! - I blame the van meself! Anyway, turns round & sets off again - towards Dunford Bridge. Manages another right turn & heads into the Penine trail carpark - nice & empty & practices some u turns & figure of 8's - not as succesfully as last time - but hey - I'm getting there! Sooo, leaves the carpark & heads up towards Woodhead pass - thinking that I'd see how busy it was & if it's too busy,I'd turn round & head back the way i'd come. Anyway. gets there & it's empty - yeeeehaaaaa....so, left onto Woodhead & pootling along @ 50 - bl**dy windy mind you - especially when the wagons are coming the other way!!! Anyway, pootles around the wibbly roads & as the wind was starting to pick up over the tops & my feet were getting cold (hadn't put me ultra thick socks on!!) decided i'd head back home. Pulls into the close & onto the drive - Perfectly!!! No discusions with the bushes or anything!!! & it was still only half 9 when I got home!!!.. did about 40 miles, it's amazing how much mileage you can do round here without actually going anywhere!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 07/03/2009 10:08  

nice one stella..keep at it girl

Update Reply
meza95 @ 07/03/2009 10:15  

Stella..thats brilliant! I'm well chuffed for ya! You are doin sooo well, a few more runs in the 'quiet time' and you will be able to get out in the traffic. Just dont let any 'white van men' bother u, if theyre on yr back wheel, just pull in and let them pass. Go girl! FFS

Update Reply
Karey @ 07/03/2009 10:19  

Gratz wench ;)

Glad you are still going well, shaming me i havent ridden just for fun in months. Maybe tomorrow actually, too busy to go anywhere today. I have been proming myself a run to oban for ages.

Thats good advice Karey, if someone is hassling you pull in and let them go. When you are on a more powerful bike you will be stupid and try and outrun them. I wonder how many offs are someone trying to get away from someone sitting up their backside.

Update Reply
tamaz @ 07/03/2009 10:29  

Oh well done:) Keep at it...we all need to keep at it. Im having issues as well but as long as we keep going out we all soon get the hang of it..at least i hope so.

Update Reply
Silvi @ 07/03/2009 10:52  

BRILLIANT! - Bit miffed that you didn't stop in for coffee on the way past though Impressed that you got off and back on your drive though. That drive/close is a a real git if you don't mind me saying. It's all gonna get much easier from here! WELL DONE!

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 07/03/2009 11:15  

wow HFG respect to you girl!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/03/2009 12:02  

A perfectly respectable little tootle, esp with the wind. Well done that lass.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/03/2009 12:44  

Keep it up soon be in for test the way your goin welldone

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/03/2009 13:18  

good one! ya nearly ready for ya stella sandwich!

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 07/03/2009 14:53  

thanks for all the comments guys..hopefully next time I wont try & kill meself lmao Silvi - keep at it & whenever you find an empty carpark practice the slow stuff!! Jim - nearly ready for a Stella sandwich Kaz - you'll be out & about soon Ian - this drive & close will NOT defeat me!!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 07/03/2009 17:14  

Nice one Stella.! Got my bike, just got to get out there! Mind ya its gonna be hard enuff gettin it out of the garden, it was a struggle getting it in ! lol

Update Reply
Karey @ 07/03/2009 17:27  

Know the feeling

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/03/2009 18:50  

Well done young lady, whish I could ride shotgun for ya, keep those pesky motorists off your tail. Keeep it up soon get the hang of it, cant make omelettes without breaking eggs! Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 08/03/2009 01:30  

ok- am not gonna start a day 7 topic- but got out on her this morning - before the weather gets too bad - a wonderful sunny day - but effin' cold & windy. So anyway. gets up just gone 7 & looks out the window - thinks, bugger it - I'm off out to get some practice, I know a good route that's pretty well sheltered & has a couple of roundabouts to negotiate & a few right turns & at this time on a Sunday morning it wont be too overun with cars etc. Sooooo, gets her nicely warmed up & after yesterdays success, thinks, right I'll ride her straight out the garage & up onto the road...soooo sets off clutch control going nicely, turns rught to go up the close & loses the plot & drops her so bye bye front left hand indicator cover GRRRRRRR Now I've gotta pick her up (on a hill bear in mind!!!) get her back on her wheels & figure out what to do next!!.managed to lift her up - didn't take me as long as the first time I dropped her thank god & got her back on the drive. Checked out the indicator - luckily just the cover that's broke, the indicator itself still works - will still prob need a new indicator for her though! So has a chat with her (doing some more bike whispering here!!) & goes for the 2nd attempt - no probs whatsoever!!! Anyway, then goes off on me route - basicaly a 20 mile pootle towards the Northbound M1 - but it's a really nice road - basically 1 road there with 1 right hander & 2 roundabouts the last roundabout at the end near the motorway, so right round that & back towards home - however the back towards home bit was with the wind blowing directly at me -boy was that a struggle!!! 3rd gear going up a steep hill - about a mile or so straight bit of road 60 mph - we started off doing about 55 but the wind was that strong I didn't thnk we'd make the top Was only out about an hour - another 45/50 mile pootle, but bl**dy hell was I frozen when I got back - me back's aching now aswell!! however I did manage a couple of right hand turns without panicking too much & she only went into false neutral once!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 08/03/2009 09:52  

Great stuff girl!! only a broken lens? thats what I call progress. Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 08/03/2009 10:03  

Hey, that's great that you just picked the bike and yourself up and then got on with it. Well done, you're doing brill.

Update Reply
Wills @ 08/03/2009 10:05  

Yes, I agree - well done. And a clip round the wing mirror never did a bike any harm either!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/03/2009 10:14  

aww thanks guys - am feeling a lot more confident about going out now ..next step - to get out in a bit more traffic & do some more right turns..hopefully if I drop her again (which let's face it I'm gonna do!) there's nothing much left to break on her..already done the clutch lever, now the front indicator - ok - maybe the rear left indicator maybe worrying itself a bit The wing mirror seems to be holding it's own though & the gear lever seems to be keeping itself out of any trouble that I cause I've just gotta remember to keep calm in traffic & go at my own pace

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 08/03/2009 10:45  

Another good pootle Stella! Well Done! You will be able to pootle over to mine one day ..and we can pootle off round here lol. It's bloody windy here, so don't think I will be going anywhere Keep it up girl !

Update Reply
Karey @ 08/03/2009 10:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email