MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Female Bikers Read This

Female Bikers Read This - Forums [Biker Match] Female Bikers Read This - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Female Bikers Read This

Lois Pryce is looking for contributions for a DVD she's producing about motorcycle travel for women. It's a 'How To...' guide and will be packed full with action, entertainment and tips. The DVD is due out at the end of this year. If you have any high quality film footage of your travels follow the link for further details. http://www.loisontheloose.com/DVD.html

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/05/2008 09:20  

*nudge*

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/08/2008 20:57  

What makes women any different? Surely they do everything on a bike the same way blokes do?

Update Reply
ttaskmaster @ 26/08/2008 06:08  

errm! not everything!! bugger tryin to edit this as wishi hadnt said it!!!ignore post! well yu do anyway!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 26/08/2008 06:12  

What makes women any different? Surely they do everything on a bike the same way blokes do? Yeah - but you can't cash in with a sexist marketing ploy if you just bring out a bog-standard DVD called "Travelling by motorsickle" or whatever If it's BY wimmen, FOR wimmen ABART wimmen, you might make a few extra dollars, yes? Especially if you get all your footage donated to you by gullible wimmen, instead of actually having to pay for it. "Lois" ain't daft, eh?! Cynical, moi?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 26/08/2008 06:59  

Bollocks, I say.... Utter bollocks. I once saw a 'For Women' video, demonstrating a method women can use to manage picking up a dropped Pan Euro...... It was exactly teh same as what they teach blokes, oddly enough. About the only bit of advice women need for riding a bike is when touring - Pack a pocket-size make-up kit and wrap your tampons in a plastic bag to keep them dry. Everything else is done Bloke Fashion Anyone who tells ya different is either trying to rip you off, or knows summat I don't...

Update Reply
ttaskmaster @ 26/08/2008 07:42  

ooo this ia a light blue touch paper and walk away topic. One thing women can do on a bike that men can't is have a little "fun" when the bike reaches about 6000 RPM nudge nudge wink wink. When me and the better half go you and terrorise the law abiding British motoring public she rides better than me. Partly because of experience she has been riding since she was 18 and me since i was 32. She rides a bike designed to go fast round corners and I ride a bike that is designed to run on our lovely mirror smooth public roads. and mostly because i am deaf in one ear I have absolutely not sense of balance and have a habit of falling over if I lean to far into a corner. Finally, what woman is sad enough to have a bike strapped to her bike? I have one that I move between the bike and the car to catch Taxis doing stupid things, but I admit I am a sad geek.

Update Reply
Phil @ 26/08/2008 07:56  

Okay, so far Lois has a video with Cheap Thrills as chapter one. Still don't believe there's anything to be done with, on or while maintaining a bike that women need special instruction for... Were that the case, us blokes'd not be doing CBT and DAS alongside women. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong (I love a good debate), but are women and men not supposed to be equals?

Update Reply
ttaskmaster @ 26/08/2008 08:30  

Anyone who tells ya different is either trying to rip you off, Precisely! I never trust anything that says it's directed specifically towards women, when it's simply covering a general skill or whatever. It's just a marketing ploy as far as I'm concerned. With this dvd subject matter, there are certain things which COULD be included which would specifically affect only women e.g. travelling in certain countries where women aren't allowed to travel alone - I don't believe there are any countries where men are affected by such laws? But the vast majority of it wouldn't be female-specific. It could however, be considered a good thing if it encourages more women into riding? I should at this point confess that at 16, I went to "car maintenance for ladies" evening classes, cos I was too shy & embarrassed to ask numpty questions in front of blokes, who I assumed would know WAY more than me about cars and engines and stuff. I would never have joined an open class - it was only because it was for female students that I did it. My opinion that men would definitely know more than me was soon changed a couple of years later when a b/f offered to do an oil change for me on my morris minor and announced that it was "impossible" to do, because it was an imperial sized sump plug and he was used to working with metric, so couldn't work out what size tool he needed So I sent him in to make the tea while I did it myself. The slightly concerning thing was that he was 2 years into his motorbike mechanic apprentice training at that point... Ho hum...

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 26/08/2008 08:32  

think your out of order, its the same for woman as it is for men if not beter, as guys have to do it on there own and find the cash them selfs, also why dose it have to be about you woman all the time ?????????????????????????/ what you think your better than us or something or you should be treated better cos your a woman, get a life

Update Reply
vtrman1000 @ 26/08/2008 08:34  

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong (I love a good debate), but are women and men not supposed to be equals? Apparently not, when it means you can cash in on it and profiteer from it... and try to convince other wimmen to donate their footage to you free gratis, so you can increase your profit margin accordingly

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 26/08/2008 08:37  

working with metric, so couldn't work out what size tool he neededAw, that's an easy one - Try the different sized tools out, until you find the one that fits. That's a skill we all learn when we're 18 months old and they give us a box of odd-shaped holes and different blocks!!! and try to convince other wimmen to donate their footage to you free gratis, so you can increase your profit margin accordingly Cor, women are such bitches, aren't they? Truth is, women only think they're 'special' because people like this market 'special' stuff for them. Women get set aside and marked out as different because of stuff like this. I bet that many women don't get treated any different when they have lids on and are just bikers riding down the road!!

Update Reply
ttaskmaster @ 26/08/2008 09:53  

What's so wrong with a video for women on 'How to' when it comes to travel. Don't shoot the messenger, I just thought women would be interested, especially those who haven't as yet travelled by bike, on their tod. I don't recall mentioning anything about women being special, or getting preferential treatment, jeez, it's just a video. So many negative comments about women

Update Reply
Sandi @ 26/08/2008 18:09  

come on girls you should know that us women should be either attatched to the cooker or the bed not our own bikes lol i find nowt more challenging than sitting with men at bike park watching them try guess what bike is mine, you can garantee they will start with the lowest cc not oneof the highest... it about time someone promoted a dvd for females in a positive way.anyhow will take this opportunity to say hi and bye to you all as im coming off site, ride safe all n have fun

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/08/2008 03:11  

Hey - hey hey hey you lot. Calm down. As a (very) seasoned female biker - celebrate 25 years of passing my test on FRIDAY - !!!! I have to say that the main problem we have as women, different to men, on bikes, is HAIR. Helmet hair is a very specific condition afflicting women. We get so much more media - and peer - pressure from society to not only be better than men to gain equal rights but at the same time to look fantastic blah blah blah blah. Eat your heart out you boring blokes. Bought, paid for and run my own bike and have done for many years. Go girls - get out there, pass your test and show 'em.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/08/2008 04:15  

I remain cynical - there's nothing "wrong" with marketing something specifically at women, but it's money for old rope... nothing wrong with that either - it's how most products are successful in the marketplace - you come up with something nobody realised they needed until it was available to them or you find a way to market something by cashing in on a certain sector e.g. by sex / race / religion / sexuality / interest. As I said, when females travel alone, there ARE different factors to be taken into consideration - certain other countries haven't accepted that actually women can vote, own property and hold down a job to which they travel unaccompanied by a male family member - all WITHOUT their brains exploding! Fancy that?! I didn't mean any of my comments to be directed at you Kwak - I can't speak for anyone else. They're not even specifically directed at the lady in question as such - she's just taking advantage of an available market, just like anyone else does when they're trying to promote a product. She's not the only one trying to get stuff for nowt either... back in the day, newspapers used to pay you for a letter you wrote to them which they published... these days, half of them do their readers comments bits via premium rate phone lines - it's costing their readers extra to "have their say"... WHO phones them up, fer crying out loud?! lol Some TV station - I forget which - is currently inviting folk to send in pics/vids of their house, so they can find the most loved house in Britain or summat... and use it in promoting some new channel or programme (I didn't really pay attention)... Eh? What happened to folk being PAID for their property to be used as a location? This lot want to do it for nowt but the "opportunity" to see yer house on the telly! And the sad thing is, some people WILL apply - and will be dead chuffed that their house will be seen by a few people on t'telly... Have "we" really become that vacuous? If we can't get our own 15 minutes of fame, we'll settle for 20 seconds of our house on telly instead?! Anyways... I digress /exits rant mode

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 27/08/2008 04:35  

Helmet hair is a very specific condition afflicting women. What about those chaps with beautiful long flowing locks of hair? What about those poor chaps who'd give ANYTHING to suffer helmet hair, but have sadly succombed to male-pattern baldness and have had to part company, albeit reluctantly, with their pride & joy?! You meanie Netty!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 27/08/2008 04:39  

Don't shoot the messengerNo, no, no, Kwak - Not having a go at you. Just the idea that women need special, specific help to do this... or almost anything else. come on girls you should know that us women should be either attatched to the cooker or the bed not our own bikesCourse you belong on yer own bikes and I'll happily ask my girlfriend to prove it to anyone!!! Helmet hair is a very specific condition afflicting women.Tie it up, braid it or deal with it. All us long-haired lads have to - Especially me with my very fine, flyaway hair!! My overriding opinion is that women are not special. They do not need anyone else telling them what they can or cannot do and how it should be done - Cosmo magazine and it's bastard offspring have done enough of that already. If women were special, they'd be doing a different syllabus on CBT and DAS. Guess what - We all do the same stuff!! Women just need a kick up the arse and a few grand for the bike, lessons and some sexy leathers!!!Get out there, get miles under yer belts and get grinning!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
ttaskmaster @ 27/08/2008 04:55  

helmet hair !!fn hurts if it catch's in yer teeth as yu pull away!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 27/08/2008 04:56  

*tuts* There's always one... and it's usually the same one!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 27/08/2008 05:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email