MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

lejog

lejog - Forums [Biker Match] lejog - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

lejog

Thinking of doing Lands End to John O Groats next year. Avoiding motorways, a leisurely ride.
A mix of camping and hotels.
Anyone got any input? Suggested routes or things to see?

Update Reply
SlowGoose @ 01/10/2022 20:28  

I'm up for this provided you're taking your time and not doing some stupid 24 hour mission, it needs to be enjoyed.

I did it about 10 years back and took a week. By the time you've wiggled about a bit it's about 1000 miles, but you also need to get to the start and home again so double that.
April / May is most likely the best time to avoid the midges and NC500 vermin once north of the wall. Booking ahead is a good idea too, be it hotels or campsites, cos that takes the stress out of it.

You said elsewhere you're taking the Harley Drag Queen, does that mean I can take Scootie?

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 02/10/2022 16:58  

I will keep an eye on this but all depends on how it will fit in with work

Update Reply
JP @ 02/10/2022 18:17  

I too would be interested so long as it was hotel /B&Bs not camping 🙄

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 02/10/2022 22:31  

I could be tempted by this....🤔😁

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 03/10/2022 06:53  

I've done jogle, 16 hours I think. Hotel at each end, leisurely ride, no hurry 😁

Update Reply
Cyberyeti @ 04/10/2022 18:20  

That's the wrong way Cyberyeti, it means you start at the good bit and the roads get busier the further south you go 😀.
There again if the NC500 crowd are about that's run across the top spoilt anyway 🙄 Although there are other roads that the NC500 sat nav crowd won't know about if misbehaviour is required 😈

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 04/10/2022 19:14  

You gone to sleep on this Goose?
I really quite fancy it but it'll need a fair bit of planning...

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 22/10/2022 18:48  

I would be up for this if it happens

Update Reply
Tezza1958 @ 22/10/2022 19:30  

North West coast of Scoand is much better for sight seeing than the east coast if you are going all the way up to John O'Groats. Would be a detour but I would highly recommend!
If you are on the East coast check out the Whaligoe steps.
Wee stop which isn't really marked but worth it.

Update Reply
MIF1989 @ 26/10/2022 21:05  

May sounds a good plan but my calendar is filling up already.. Anyone else got any preferences?

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 02/11/2022 06:19  

We need to wake the Goose first cos the idle fekker has done sod all organising so far 😆
I'll drop him a text, although he may have gone into winter hibernation now, tucked up in a box of straw in the back of the garage...

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 02/11/2022 07:37  

I've coaxed Goose out of his hibernation box with a piece of lettuce (although I did have to deep-fry it in pig lard first cos he's not a vegetable).
Due to other commitments he's not going to be doing LeJog till 2024.

But I still fancy the idea cos I reach my dotage next year and want to do a shit load of stuff...

If not a full LeJog, then possibly a HalfJog to miss out the boring, busy bits and get straight to the traffic free wiggly bits.

A HalfJog would mean meeting up somewhere like Dent for a weekend's excessive drinking and then heading north on Monday.
Monday night could be Glencoe at the Red Squirrel campsite (rooms at the Clachaig Inn for those that want it).
After that it gets a bit vague.
Bealach na ba obviously on the way to somewhere.
Ullapool would have to feature cos it has good camping & plenty of hotels. Likewise Lochinver where the pies come from.
We might not even get to JOG, not a problem cos frankly it's shite.

So what we're talking about here is more of a beer and gastronomic trip up the west coast of the country.

May would be best to avoid the midges and tourist traffic doing the NW500, although midges do form part of the true Scottish experience.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 02/11/2022 18:31  

I could join in the northern part.. I have a few long weekends in may depending on dates 😀

Update Reply
dizzydot @ 05/11/2022 10:14  

Morning bmrs, I'll tag on from the Monday or there abouts from your route near hamilton .

Update Reply
EMDEE @ 15/11/2022 09:07  

Bugger be in Belfast 15th of May

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/11/2022 18:38  

now you've given them a date on which to save on translation costs ya numpty!

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 16/11/2022 16:33  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email