MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Wild Camping ?

Wild  Camping ? - Forums [Biker Match] Wild  Camping ? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Wild Camping ?

I just want to ask your opinions on a bit of wild camping, or at least camping with less amenities it's just that there are so many campsites tucked away around here that would be great to camp in but the biggest problem with these sites are that they are mostly without a pub nearby or without a shower block. Would anyone fancy this idea (maybe bring your own booze and food sort of thing ?) Or would it be a waste of time even considering it, let me know your thoughts 🤔

Update Reply
Fink @ 11/07/2022 20:45  

I'm always up for a wild camp. I reckon it's easier too; disguising a bike will be easier than a car. I've not had any major incidents as I'm respectful of the land but I have had some rude awakenings from over sleeping!

Update Reply
outbackoutdoors @ 11/07/2022 21:36  

Love a bit of wild camping, stock up on beer & food for the night, perfect. If you want to give it a go with the security of being on an actual campsite have a look at Coco’s wild camping in mid wales. Some lovely roads too

Update Reply
SGS @ 11/07/2022 23:47  

Camping with minimum facilities is great fun in my opinion. I've never tried actual wild camping as I'm fearful of potential confrontation. A basic but official campsite would be great, especially in Wales, I doubt I would personally go that far but in principle I think many riders would be up for it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/07/2022 00:39  

Actual " wild camping " is illegal in most of England and Wales, and some parts of Scotland now, these basic sites are as close as we will ever get to it now, usual thing a few ignorant and lazy f'wits that spoil it for it everyone else 🤬

I spent a lot of my young teen years wild camping living off the land, mainly at the coast catching and cooking Mackerel, used to pack a small tent and few other bits and hitch hike or cycle ride depending on where I was going

Update Reply
dynax @ 12/07/2022 06:06  

I've done wild camping and it is fun, but the last time was traumatic.
There I was, happily dumping in the dunes when I heard "Rover, Rover, come here boy" getting closer and closer. It scarred me...
So yes I'm up for basic camping. Bringing your own beer, camp cooking, small campfire, bathing in the river or ocean - but no more solitary contemplation in the dunes for me.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 12/07/2022 07:57  

I've never been "wild camping" but the more I see and read about it, the more I'm intrigued. Or basic camping, now that I have done, mainly Cornwall, I live Brixham so it's just down the road.
But distance has never been an issue for me.
So "yes" please post when & where to meet.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/07/2022 10:43  

I thought Barmouth was wild, don't want to get any wilder

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 12/07/2022 13:04  

Looks like like you have some interest in this fink

Update Reply
JP @ 12/07/2022 19:20  

Difficult to do proper wild camping as a group of more than 3 or 4 tents, but back-to-basics camping is more do-able on a limited facility site.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 12/07/2022 20:36  

Maybe I have worded this a bit wrong, maybe I should have just put Basic camping in more remote campsite without pub or shops ?

Update Reply
Fink @ 13/07/2022 05:49  

Which is pretty much what Izzy's Balloch O'Dee was like - and that was excellent.
They will be lots of sites that fit the bill, often the tricky bit is finding one with a pub.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 13/07/2022 11:30  

Station Inn, at the side of Ribblehead viaduct and by the three peaks mountain range in the Yorkshire Dales.

Camping around the back of the car park, with great views of the viaduct and the Whernside mountain.

Nice pub with good meal facilities and a couple of bunkhouses and b&b rooms to stay in. But then again it's all about basic camping and getting as close as possible to wild camping. So maybe that's not applicable.

https://www.thestationinnribblehead.com/

Plus there's nothing else in site, like shops or cafes. Your talking the nearest town been Ingleton (7 mile) and Settle and Hawes 12 mile further away.

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 13/07/2022 22:47  

Many moons ago I used to own a micro campervan.. The beauty was it was a Subaru so it was 4wd..I used to drive to the middle of Wales, find a lake and just drive off the road and park up.. With the back window facing the setting sun we used to enjoy a bottle of wine lying in bed watching the sun go down😁... I wish I still had it as it did 40mpg🤣

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 14/07/2022 05:46  

It's while since I've been to Ribblehead, an utterly spectacular place spoilt only by hoards of people.
The pub is good though.
I've just checked their menu. It looks interesting, although I'm intrigued as to how a veggie / vegan "Pan Fried Haddock Wrapped In Prosciutto Ham" is going to work 🙂

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 14/07/2022 07:37  

Ye Steve I have to agree with you, regarding the hoards of people who come more during the day, along with the three peaks traffic.

After dark though they usually disappear and if your of vegan concern you can always throw the Prosciutto ham out the window for the passing wildlife or ghostly apparitions that wonder around that moor.

Yes don't stray from the path and keep a look out for all the Irish navvy ghosts who built the viaduct. Especially the legend of a navvy falling into one of the viaduct bridge supports during the building. Who on certain nights whines his crying voice across those moors. Not to forget the spooky Chapel-le-Dale hamlet just around the corner near the legendary Hill Inn public house 👻 😃

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 14/07/2022 18:10  

I organized a rally at Tan Hill for around 70 people which was an absolutely brilliant weekend and about as near as most people will want to get to wild camping

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 15/07/2022 12:22  

You beat me to it Bill.

I stayed at Tan Hill on a few occasions, years ago, with a group of mates. It was fab, basic to say the least but fab.

On one excursion up there we got snowed in for a few days. Everyone had a great adventure. A tad scary but a great memory. 👍🏻

I think it may have changed a fair bit since those days 🤔🙄

Balloch O'Dee was excellent, thanks to Izzy & Danny who brought everything including the kitchen sink! 😂🤣

The site was clean and tidy, including the facilities (toilets, showers & the area for washing pots n pans).

Although the facilities were available and very welcome, the site had 'the feel of wild camping', lots of space and fabulous views. Although I am convinced that there is defo a witch under that tree on the hill 🤔🙄😳😲😬

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 15/07/2022 18:36  

Tan Hill is just down the hill, up the hill, down the hill and up the hill from me. I rode past there yesterday, it is still there and as far as I know still doing wild camping, but if the weather is bad up there it's really, really bad.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 15/07/2022 18:42  

Hensol Camp Site, Castle Douglas DG7 2NE. Me and anita had a drive around the camp site it is basic , toilets shower nothing much else. If you are looking for wild camping but large enough for a few bikers . Cars too. . A bit hilly in parts so get in early.

Update Reply
EMDEE @ 20/07/2022 10:43  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email