MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Bee line moto

Bee line moto - Forums [Biker Match] Bee line moto - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Bee line moto

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting one of these Bee line sat navigation thingys. Has anyone out there used them and how did you get on with it, or are they a total waste of time ?
Your thoughts please

Update Reply
Fink @ 26/06/2021 07:55  

You've got a satnav Fink, it's called a brummie trucker and they have been known to be invaluable........then again, they have been known to be incredibly greedy when it comes to bacon butties.

Update Reply
Double six @ 26/06/2021 10:02  

Was thinking about trying one myself,Fink....looks simple enough for even me to put the battered AA road atlas into retirement...only odd thing i noticed was a need for smartphone plus bluetooth for it to function properly..??

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 26/06/2021 12:22  

Ha, the Brummie trucker is invaluable at times, but he's not always at hand 😉
(When he's got his grumpy head on, he gets left behind)

Update Reply
Fink @ 26/06/2021 18:19  

You could get something like this Waterproof Phone Pouch Bicycle & Motorcycle Handlebar Phone Holder
Plus a cheap smartphone from somebody like Computer Exchange (CEX)
Then on 'playstore' look for & install Navmii which doesn't need Bluetooth or any data /Wifi connection to run.

https://m.shein.co.uk/Waterproof-Phone-Pouch-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Phone-Holder-p-2437341-cat-3004.html?url_from=ukadplasecaracc18210402979one-size&gclid=CjwKCAjwoNuGBhA8EiwAFxomAz5t7WIyqN7jFrEWlLGSeuE2S-SjGgZInXXTi00obgZufijTyY4eOhoCTzQQAvD_BwE&ref=www&rep=dir&ret=m

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Was thinking about trying one myself,Fink....looks simple enough for even me to put the battered AA road atlas into retirement...only odd thing i noticed was a need for smartphone plus bluetooth for i...

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 26/06/2021 19:37  

I am using the Calimoto App on my iPhone and found it very good. Its is free to use for one area, and you can buy a week's use for longer travels. Good for planning routes, and saving routes you have ridden. For me I found the best phone holder was one designed for bicycles, but it easily straps to my handle bar, mirror stem, and brake reservoir. It also has space for a backup battery. Using a phone as SatNav does draw a lot of power, so I always plug mine into a back up battery.

Update Reply
GSNige @ 26/06/2021 22:39  

I have tried using Google maps on my phone (it works well in the car) but no good on the bike as I haven't got anything to hear it with, and I can't see it clearly enough when it's inside my tank bag

Update Reply
Fink @ 27/06/2021 07:01  

I think bee line is a brilliant idea for finding your way round an urban environment, but as it is reliant on a smart phone it is most likely reliant on a data connection which you won't have in much of the more interesting parts of the country.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 27/06/2021 07:42  

For technophobes like me,sticking with good maps,notes in top of tankbag and only using phone as emergency backup seems best...se e you all at Barmouth,via the most direct A and B roads possible..:)

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 27/06/2021 07:49  

Notes in phone holder on top of tank bag... I'll vote for that😁👍

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 27/06/2021 08:43  

Why not just get a satnav

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 27/06/2021 12:09  

The Calimoto App has quite a clear display with not only the map, but arrow direction for turns and distance to next turn. On an iPhone if you double tap with three fingers you can get a customizable magnification window to make a section of the screen easier to read. Getting the phone mounted on your handle bar makes it easier to read. I found in the tankbag there is too much reflected light from the sun which obscures the phone screen. Calimoto is free so worth giving it a try. I don't have have bluetooth connection for the audio so don't use the audio. As with Google you can download maps, so you don't need a data connection, but that feature in Calimoto you have to pay for.

Update Reply
GSNige @ 27/06/2021 14:26  

The Youtuber TMF tested one a few months back and he seemed to be impressed with the unit.
https://youtu.be/bbSLuQMbCmo

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/06/2021 17:53  

I will have a look at Calimoto app, GSnige, and maybe think about getting a phone mount first, it is definitely no good in a tank bag

Update Reply
Fink @ 27/06/2021 18:36  

Ha ! Just downloaded Calimoto, lovely app, but I have to pay to get out of Wales 🙃

Update Reply
Fink @ 27/06/2021 19:34  

Used to be, from my experience as an HGV driver, you used to pay going into Wales & over the Severn but coming out it was free. Must have just wanted us out as quick as possible and to get rid of us 😜

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 27/06/2021 22:23  

Who do you think was paying for all those hidden speed cameras in Snowdonia,lol...??😆

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 28/06/2021 05:21  

Bill , I don't really want a satnav because they are so bulky, I just want something simple, and the Beeline thing looks like it won't take up much room.

Quote:
Why not just get a satnav...

Update Reply
Fink @ 28/06/2021 06:10  

Even if you don’t use Calimoto on the bike it has a good biking roads route finder on the website. You can then download the route as a gpx file and use other devices. The function is still free even outside your “free map” area

Update Reply
GSNige @ 28/06/2021 13:29  

I never use the sound on my Garmin. I just follow the map instructions. The automated voices really annoy me lol 😡 Am I unusual in this?

Quote:
I have tried using Google maps on my phone (it works well in the car) but no good on the bike as I haven't got anything to hear it with, and I can't see it clearly enough when it's inside my tank bag...

Update Reply
SusiPop @ 28/06/2021 13:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email