MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Lakeland weekend?

Lakeland weekend? - Forums [Biker Match] Lakeland weekend? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Lakeland weekend?

Alas, no Pistons and Pints this year.
So...who might be up for an informal camping weekend on the edge of the Lake District on the same dates, June 25-27?
The A595 Cafe - formerly the Bridge cafe - in Millom is pitched squarely at the biker market. Friendly owners, an amazing sunken garden with pond, firepit and burger bar, and a camping field at the back.
The camping field, it has to be said, is a bit rough and ready right now, but it's good enough. Wonderful Lakeland roads and the high passes of Wrynose and Hardknott to sort out the men from the boys and the ladies from the girls!
£10 a night. If there's enough interest I can set it up on the events pages.

Update Reply
Wills @ 15/06/2021 23:26  

Sounds like a great plan! I'm in!😁

Update Reply
Vicky1300 @ 15/06/2021 23:57  

That sounds tempting Wills, there is some good riding around there without getting into the traffic hell that is the central Lakes.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/06/2021 07:59  

Be warned about Wrynose and Hardknott.
It is tight, single track and in places very steep.
If you get a clear run it's great fun but summer weekends it is very, very busy so you will be stop start all the time.
You will also have to take occasional trips off the tarmac to avoid someone coming the other way, if anyone is tippy toe on their bike that'll be a challenge.
Last year it proved terminal for the clutch on Scootie 😟
But if anyone is taking an extended fork chopper over I'll be there to watch the show

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 16/06/2021 09:26  

I - or to be more accurate we, as there were half a dozen of us - did both only a few weeks ago. That's when we discovered the A595 caff.
The only real problem is the road surface at the top of Hardknott. Tight steep hairpins, as you say, then as your exit line comes into sight while climbing, there's a fecking great pothole waiting to trap your front wheel. Over and over again.
If Pistons and Pints had been a go-er, Rosedale Chimney Bank in North Yorks would have been next on the rideout list.

Update Reply
Wills @ 16/06/2021 13:32  

As well as Wrynose, Hardknott and Chimney the Devil's elbow at Keld in the Yorkshire Dales on route to Tan Hill 🤔

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 16/06/2021 15:45  

Wrynose, Hardknott, Chimney Banks 👍🏻, as is Keld and I do like Buttertubs, Tan Hill n Ribblesdale, lots of great roads😁👍🏻almost too much choice.

It's a long time since I've been, far too long.

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 16/06/2021 19:28  

To say nothing of Bwlch y Groes in North Wales, aka the Hellfire Pass. Second highest road in Wales and on the south side can give Wrynose a run for its money.
The highest road in Wales is the Gospel Pass near Hay on Wye. Different thing altogether as it takes a long, slow run up going from south to north, about 10 miles or so of single carriageway. Trouble is, right now there's a landslide about half way - but where there's a bike, there's a way through!

Update Reply
Wills @ 16/06/2021 22:50  

Something has come up Wills see I won't be camping.
If this is still on I'll most likely pop over to see you all Saturday, it's not too far from mine and makes for a good ride out via Hartside.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 17/06/2021 18:28  

Being in my favourite chunk of Britain,i will give this due consideration..watch this tent space...👀👀

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 18/06/2021 14:53  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email