MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Newbies Forum

Keeping warm...

Keeping warm... - Forums [Biker Match] Keeping warm... - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Newbies Forum /

Keeping warm...

Hello,have been talking to youngsters on motorcycles about keeping warm whilst out on our Bikes...
There is no need to feel cold,riding kit has moved on so much since l started riding (1977 ! ) l started with Leather Jeans and pure wool Jumpers,now we have Heated everything,all sorts of synthetic gear that really do keep you warm !
Please note that if you are feeling cold whilst Riding you need to invest in some good modern kit.
I think feeling so cold that it hurts is distracting,l know l found out the hard way.
Ride safe,simon

Update Reply
Simon t3 @ 10/11/2019 11:43  

All very ture but if your a younger rider or on a low income you don't have the money to spend hundreds on heated kit. Base layers good boots and gloves

Update Reply
JP @ 10/11/2019 13:30  

Yes, decent warm gloves are a must and a good neck warmer/tube.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/11/2019 17:31  

Good first post Simon.
No matter what I wear I always feel the cold, even in my new jacket.
However, my new gloves are a 100% improvement. Had to take them off to cool down my hands.

I agree with JP and yarg.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/11/2019 19:45  

Heated grips don't just keep your hands warm..like holding your hands out infront of a fire the heat circulates via your bloodstream. Great in wet weather too..l picked up a new set for only £35 on eBay so not too pricey..and we'll worth considering if you ride all year..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/11/2019 22:29  

I've never had heated grips on a bike,so can't comment on their undoubted efficiency..i put cheap and nasty "universal" plastic handguards from Ebay on bikes i intend to use through the winter,they keep wind chill blast off your hands very well,always buy the best boots and gloves i can afford,always buy my winter kit during summer,saves up to 50% out of season...best "base" layers i've got came from Aldi,tried stuff 10 times dearer,no real improvement..if anybody would like my old Richa jackets and leggings for the cost of postage,message me..i'm 5'10"-ish tall,31"inside leg..they're on the large side,lol,good for fitting extra layers underneath..enjoy the winter rides,stay shiny? side up..xx :)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 11/11/2019 06:36  

I remember back in the day, when it was cold and raining, putting Hillards supermarket carrier bags (all other supermarkets available) over our boots with elastic bands 😁🤭
On cold and icy frosty days getting home and instantly warming your hands in front of the 🔥 The pain was immense.

My bro suffered from Raynaud's white finger. He tried various things like handguards, top notch gloves and heated grips, without solving his issue. Then he found out it was his body core and invested in a plug in warm vest/jacket. Problem solved 😁👍

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 11/11/2019 22:26  

At the risk of sounding like an old geezer (which of course I am now) I remember back in 1975 stopping at traffic lights and putting my hands on the engine block to warm them up but my oh my has clothing moved on?

The secret is the same as winter climbing/walking in the mountains. Layers, and with modern warm air trapping clothing it sure is easier than back in the day.

The greatest risk is hypothermia. Once the body looses too much heat and the core starts to chill, the first thing that happens is loss of awareness and poor judgement and with biking that equates to a trip to A&E. I've witnessed this with fellow climbers a few years ago and cannot emphasise enough the risks involved.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/11/2019 23:17  

Hello GB, I used to warm my hands on the engine. I'd take off my outer gloves and put silk ones on so I could get the heat without burning myself. It worked a treat. I couldn't wear the silks under my gloves cos I couldn't bend my fingers.
I don't ride a bike anymore, so just a pillion, and my gloves keep my hands warm, you're right, it makes all the difference to concentration when we get cold.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 12/11/2019 13:17  

Just bought some heated gloves with rechargeable batteries, so far they seem pretty good

Update Reply
rocker21 @ 12/11/2019 13:38  

Same here, and I've also got a heated waistcoat! I've found that heated gear doesn't wrap you up in a warm bubble - if you want that, use a car.
Icy jets of cold air will still find their way through, but the important thing is that your core temperature will keep up, making everything much more bearable.

Update Reply
Wills @ 12/11/2019 19:58  

Hi Sandi. Because I'm an old hoarder I think I still have my silk gloves somewhere in one of my cupboards. LOL

What I forgot to mention was the wonderful bargains to be had on Gumtree (Other second hand sites available) where I've picked up some real bargains at a fraction of the shop price. Whether you're cash strapped or not it's always worth a look

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/11/2019 20:03  

I still wear a piss pot open Face lid.
I always remember and can't believe that when I used to ride without goggles, shades or scarf 😬
I had to put my right throttle hand over my face to protect me from the rain. Was really painful, just like pins hitting your flesh, whilst trying to control and steer the bike and see where you were going at the same time.
Still wear open Face but now with proper eye and face protection.
Juvenile foolishness 😁

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 12/11/2019 23:25  

Erm... the thought of 'heated' clothing is enough to put me off, it's menopause time, I've got built in central heating, albeit un-programmable 😂

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/11/2019 04:17  

If you're on budget Aldi base layers are as good as many more expensive ones. Dr. Bike heated grips have served me well over the years. Textiles are much warmer than leathers. Don't ride cold it will distract you from what's happening on the road

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 13/11/2019 10:19  

I find a Peugeot works best for a cold commute :-)

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 13/11/2019 20:31  

Ditto Vladamir
I've always bought the push bike base layer clothing from Aldi 👍

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 13/11/2019 22:43  

Another vote for the Aldi motorcycle thermals 👍
I've had the top for about 5 years and the bottoms about 4 years and they both still do their stuff 😊

Sometimes I wear latex gloves inside my leather bike gloves and bread bags inside my boots... 😁

Update Reply
Karey @ 13/11/2019 23:01  

Got a pair of warm tight fit linen gloves, that go under my riding gloves. I wear German Tank gloves from army surplus. Slate grey in colour and really authentic. Used to be able to get them on a regular basis, but no army shop seem to stock them now. Not even Johnson's army surplus down at Sturton/Hunslet in Leeds.
Bread bags in your boots 🤔 That's a new one on me Karey 😁 Must work 🤔

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 14/11/2019 03:51  

Mick, did ya mam never put bread bags in your wellies and socks on your hands when you been playing in the snow? 😮😁

I've got heated grips on my little bike and succumbed to putting a screen on.... definitely makes a difference.
I want a heated jacket/waistcoat though, as been said already, if your core is warm, you're generally warm.

There's always the hot water bottle down the front of your jacket! 👍😊

Update Reply
Karey @ 14/11/2019 10:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email