MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Newbies Forum

Keeping warm...

Keeping warm... (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Keeping warm... (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Newbies Forum /

Keeping warm...

Still new to me Karey. We weren't even supplied with gloves. Ma used to say just get yourself out and lose yourself for a few hours 😁 So it was snowballing and sledging all the way 😬
I've got a little screen on the Sporty which helps a little but it's not as good as a full fairing.
Nothing wrong with the hot water bottle technique Karey 👍 I used to have a friend who on the way to the Kent show, back in the 80's, put some Cornish pasties on his engine and in foil. He forgot about them and when we reached the M20, just after the at the time Dartford tunnel. There was smoke coming off his bike. So funny at the time. The pies were like charcoal 😂😂

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 14/11/2019 14:45  

Karey, don't your feet get wet with sweating? Mine do if I wear plastic inside my footwear.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/11/2019 19:01  

Sandi... nope, put the bags over your socks 😄😁

Mick...the pasty story made me chuckle, I thought you were going to say, you both pulled up and enjoyed tasty pasties, warmed to.perfection! 😂
But yeh a fairing would be great, failing that, I guess it's mainly about keeping your core warm and keeping dry.
I also found a fleece jacket over my leather kept the wind chill out, not so good in the rain though.

Update Reply
Karey @ 14/11/2019 20:36  

Next time Karey we'll go to Gregg's instead for a stake bake 😂

Ditto on the warm core 👍 I have one of those modern warm windproof and waterproof touring jackets by Frank Thomas. Really helped me out the other year, when I went up on the Sporty to Scotland and the Isle of Skye 😁

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 14/11/2019 21:32  

LOL Karey, I did put them over my socks, I'm daft not barmy 😜

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/11/2019 21:37  

The sealskins socks are supposed to be good. Although a little expensive and dearer than bread bags 🤭
Along with some decent waterproof boots 🤔 That don't help me much though, because I always wear army surplus German para boots.

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 14/11/2019 21:46  

Where am I going to find a seal round here? (Deepest darkest Yorksheer)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/11/2019 22:19  

Sealskin??? The Inuit reckon that Polar bear trousers work well in the Arctic.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/11/2019 22:26  

You never no your luck Sandi.
Up on them pennies perhaps 🤭😂😬

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15904675/sealskinz-mid-mid-hydrostop-waterproof-socks-15904675/?istCompanyId=c2ec8a5d-93c1-4850-a97a-f4d89d7c99c8&istFeedId=2755fba0-7dfe-46a9-bfd0-09b37aed8b93&istItemId=wapipxrrr&istBid=t&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI28Su7t_q5QIVQuDtCh3QNgIMEAQYASABEgLIRfD_BwE

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 14/11/2019 22:29  

Mick it's cold enough in Huddersfield without going up on't Penines. ❄️🤧

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/11/2019 10:21  

gbear, I wouldn't want to take a polar bear's trousers he may get arrested for indecent exposure. 😉🤡

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/11/2019 10:25  

Sandi I'll keep my eyes peeled for seals and polar bears. If I see any I'll let you know 😁🤭👍

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 15/11/2019 12:47  

I don't have any problem with being cold on the bike in winter, I just leave it in the garage!!

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 15/11/2019 13:39  

----------------------------------------------------;;

Quote:
LOL Karey, I did put them over my socks, I'm daft not barmy 😜

Sandi....I beg to differ... I've known you a long time on here..🤔🙄😄😄

Mick, I've got some combat-type boots too with the mesh sides and made the mistake of wearing them (more than once) in the rain... It was like riding with bowls of water strapped to my feet 🥺😕, 🙄

Do the sealskinz really work then? I can't do with bulky socks, but they don't look too bad. 🤔

Another trick, although I haven't tried it yet, is those heated hand warmers that you can put in your gloves put inside your boots 😊

Update Reply
Karey @ 15/11/2019 13:40  

@ Karey
I have used those socks on long wet group walks over the Yorkshire dales and Lakes. They really do make a difference.
My bro used to wear them on his bike and on rallies. He seemed really pleased with them 🤔
Although having said that, they're like a chocolate fireguard if you don't have the right footwear too. As too much water can eventually penetrate the socks.

I was intending to buy some of the motorcycle overshoe protectors, to carry with my waterproofs and to cover my paras as an added extra protection 🤔
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MQFORU-Waterproof-Overshoes-Windproof-Protector/dp/B0772MTCT9/ref=asc_df_B0772MTCT9/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310487557807&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8857692357885865724&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046330&hvtargid=pla-563305566450&psc=1

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 15/11/2019 18:55  

Thanks Mick, I might just invest in some, or at least put them on my Christmas wishlist 🤔😁

I've got some Hein Gericke overboots similar to those, but only half-soled with velcro tabs at the back. They do seem to help keep my feet warm and dry. The ones on that link seem better though.

Another thing I've found to help, is wearing wrist warmers or the cuffs cut off old jumpers/top of socks to go over your jacket cuffs, cuts s bit of wind chill out 😊 👍

Update Reply
Karey @ 15/11/2019 19:41  

A good option is ski pants under your jeans, track suit bottoms are a good insulator under a decent pair of jeans too. As for wet weather l used to put my feet in carrier bags before sliding them into my boots and that seemed to work well...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/11/2019 20:19  

Hey Kawasakitrev1... You must have bigger feet, I used bread bags 🤔😁

Update Reply
Karey @ 15/11/2019 20:30  

Karey, Sealskinz socks defo work, my daughter uses them and she swears by them. 👍

I borrowed a pair of Sealskinz gloves from a mate, when I'd mistakenly picked up my summer gloves on a cold January rideout. I wore them over the top of my summer bike gloves and my hands were toasty n dry.

I also tried suggesting to my daughter stuffing a newspaper down the front of her jacket, a la 1980's! 😉 .. suffice to say I was told what to do (it wasn't very polite!) 😂

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 15/11/2019 22:12  

If you are seriously skint, effective base layers can be had for the price of 2 pairs of 40 or 60 denier tights from sainsburys. One pair worn the usual way, the other with the legs trimmed to make sleeves and a hole for your head. I do recommend buying new ones though 😂

Being less enthusiastic about freezing my arse off in the winter... I confess I take the car (heating, heated seat, heated steering wheel.... mmm, warmth).

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/11/2019 22:42  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email