MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Insurance renewal

Insurance renewal - Forums [Biker Match] Insurance renewal - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Insurance renewal

Just received my insurance renewal from IAM surety. Gobsmacked it's Nearly 500 notes!!!!! (2 bikes, fully comp, protected no claims)

Quick sarcastic email back brings a phone call 10 minutes later (while I'm googling alternatives) to see if they can 'help'.

5 minutes later it's down to a much more reasonable £295. Bonkers!

AND, when I agreed to the lower quote, the cheeky blighter asked how I wanted to pay!

Err, nothing until my renewal date thanks which is 21 days away!!!!!

Update Reply
Angelina Ballerina @ 31/05/2019 12:12  

I renew my motorcycle insurance in March every year and each time, the quote is excessively higher than the year before. I now search online using price comparison websites and always get a better price than the year before. I too have received a phone call or email asking if they can help to lower the quote and the insurance companies nearly always lower the quote if they think they are going to lose your custom. I have only made 1 insurance claim in 45 years of driving/riding and that was when the former Mrs C dented my car whilst overtaking.

Update Reply
CranbrookMan @ 31/05/2019 13:28  

Hi. Bike sure r good. My insurers wanted 700 notes fully comp, because I have a different set of forks. Went to bike sure. 330 notes. Its crazy

Update Reply
Rabies57 @ 31/05/2019 15:08  

Good plan! Insurance has become a total rip-off in recent years. At each renewal, they load the premium quite heavily in the hope you won't notice the increase, and if you have "auto renewal", and don't check, the b********s can get away with it. So never auto-renew, and always check before renewing, and calling them to complain usually gets you a lower renewal premium, which can be cheaper than last year. Its the same whether its bikes, cars, homes, or anything, insurance is a bit of a racket! Caveat Emptor!

Update Reply
TitusAgrippa @ 31/05/2019 15:09  

know what you mean, been riding on a classic policy for years with out any claims, bought a new bike and found that the classic policy does not have any no claims bonus, and had to start from scratch with the new bike, its only a guzzi V7 special, not very powerful or quick. £200 for the classic policy, and nearly £400 for the new bike. crazy or what.but that does now include pilly insurance and class 1 business use which did not cost much as an extra.

Update Reply
rocker21 @ 31/05/2019 15:17  

I insured my Hayabusa on a classic policy, £144 with 6 points declared. It would have been £119 if my licence was clean. LOL

I know about the no claims bonus with that policy, but I have another policy for my GSXR 1000 that is earning no claims bonus. It's that bugger that got me the 6 points in the first place. pmsl

It worked out cheaper to have the two policies.

Update Reply
Cornholio @ 31/05/2019 15:50  

1 thing you have to remember with insurance is, you get what you pay for when you have to claim they pull the rabbit out of the hat and you get sweet FA

Update Reply
JP @ 31/05/2019 15:53  

Just insured my two bikes £230 which I thought was a good deal, could not find anything cheaper.

Update Reply
monk860 @ 31/05/2019 15:55  

I'd change insurers on principle.. if they can reduce it that much when you complain, why not just give you the lower quote in the first place?? It's just a money making scam. 🤬

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Just received my insurance renewal from IAM surety. Gobsmacked it's Nearly 500 notes!!!!! (2 bikes, fully comp, protected no claims)

Quick sarcastic email back brings a phone call 10 minutes later (while I'm googling alternatives) to see if they can 'help'.

5 minutes later it's down to a much more reasonable £295. Bonkers!

AND, when I agreed to the lower quote, the cheeky blighter asked how I wanted to pay!

Err, nothing until my renewal date thanks which is 21 days away!!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2019 16:05  

Have one of my Harleys insured and one of my others (ZRX1100) for £230.
Through bikesure(Adrian flux)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2019 18:32  

They always quote higher prices because their directors are looking for growth due to shareholder greed / pressure and for an easy life, people auto renew as per trickster T&C's. Moreover, give you an excuse of premiums increasing due to the area you live in or significant increase in non-insurers. Strange when you bother to trawl through the cheaper options - they suddenly back track, gangsters!!!!

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.....😏

Update Reply
Aden24 @ 31/05/2019 19:31  

Just been in the same situation . I was going to auto renew as a learner rider and non car driver.. what a mistake !
The same policy with the same Company was a £100 cheaper on Compare the market!
A big learning curve and only saved by the canny Son in law !
Totally gobsmacked !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2019 19:47  

@Angelina IAM Surety are just a broker, so the first quote would be with the company that you are insured with already and you may find that the 2rd quote is with another company that IAM Surety deal with.
I've always found them good to deal with and the only hard part is trying to understand broad Belfast accents on the phone.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 31/05/2019 21:17  

Think I have a long way to go with my insurance . Being a new rider my fully comp on a Moto Guzzi v7 was nearly two grand , yes bloody £2000 !!! That's through Bike Sure .

Update Reply
Stu69 @ 31/05/2019 22:29  

I agree with you there, had to ask for some questions to be repeated as I didn't hear/understand them properly!

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
@Angelina IAM Surety are just a broker, so the first quote would be with the company that you are insured with already and you may find that the 2rd quote is with another company that IAM Surety deal with.
I've always found them good to deal with and the only hard part is trying to understand broad Belfast accents on the phone.

Update Reply
Angelina Ballerina @ 31/05/2019 23:36  

Just had similar experience but last year I didn't have a reliable price to judge it against, having just got the RS Street Triple. They would only insure 2 bikes so in the end I sold the T120 (Hinkley.) and kept the 1200 Thruxton and the Street.
This year the quote was 377, so I called them to cancel, immediately it went down to 257, but I said I'd look around.

Went back there in the end, and after TWICE being put through to the car side, + left on hold for ages it took nearly 2 hours in the end. (By then I was pretty pis*ed off and Got an extra 20 pounds deducted.).

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 01/06/2019 08:18  

I miss my old Norwich Union rider policy, it was so simple and easy.
Only other old farts will appreciate how good that was, though we couldn't see it at the time.

Update Reply
invalid characters @ 01/06/2019 08:37  

Thought i would try Bikesure for a quote,just out of interest,and their website would not let me complete my details,so tried ringing them.....oh dear...perhaps i just don't have the patience for this anymore....:(>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 01/06/2019 13:16  

Every other business rewards customer loyalty- except insurance. Crazy.

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 01/06/2019 15:44  

I've had my renewal from Bennetts for the CBF which they've kindly told me they'll auto-renew, but I'll call them tomorrow to cancel that.
It's not so much the modest hike in premium or that I can get cheaper than last year from a comparison search; what gets me is the extra £12 "arrangement fee" they add on top!
That said, I'll still get a quote from their website as they have a competition going lol.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 02/06/2019 20:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email