MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

European Autumn Break

European Autumn Break (8) - Forums [Biker Match] European Autumn Break (8) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

European Autumn Break

Hmm I might be interested (very interested in the eastern europe bit) but cant commit yet - am the new kid at work so leave is a bit awkward (but I do need to try out the Tom Tom Rider 2 I've ordered lol) Can recommend ''snowcard'' for travel insurance (been using them for over a decade now for my activity trips to europe/states etc). They dont just do snowboarding/skiing (Which is good because I dont do those lol). Includes Helicopter evac and repatriation etc plus legal medical baggage etc - If it goes wrong call them and they sort everything. Never claimed myself but am told they are v good. They did my bike euro tour last year for a good price IIRC, but they are not the cheapest. By the time this trip happens my 600zzr will be around 56k and my big zed prob around 60k eeek When's the latest to say I'm in?

Update Reply
ZZRpilot @ 27/02/2008 17:08  

ZZRpilot wrote "whens the latest to say I'm in" There's an obvious joke, but I wont say it ........

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 27/02/2008 18:59  

ROFLMAO well spotted hehe

Update Reply
ZZRpilot @ 28/02/2008 21:06  

dont think there is a last time to say ur 'In'. Put ur name on the list anyhow so it looks more popular :-)

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/02/2008 10:49  

Now I feel guilty for saying I can't make it!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/02/2008 11:12  

lol stick ur name down, u never know u might end up being able to make it - and if not u can take ur name off nearer the time :-)

Update Reply
Matt @ 29/02/2008 15:23  

Got my Zumo.... but how do I disable the really annoying BEEP everytime i press the screen? It's blowing my eardrum to pieces. Cheers

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/03/2008 17:00  

welcome to the crap world of sat nav matt only good for industrial an housin estates for white van delivery man, existed fer yrs with nothin but a fkn michelin an a compass wheres yer sense of adventure goin into the great unknown! throw the fkn thing in the bin!an keep your eyes on the rd in front!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 01/03/2008 17:21  

Dont know Matt, sorry, never had that problem. If the instructions are loud as well you can of course turn the volume down. Other than that, I dont know. Not much help I know, but at least I'm honest lol! I too used to laugh at people using sat navs tango - then I got one and have never looked back. I personally think they're invaluable when travelling abroad. I often use mine in the uk as well now, especially for work as you say. It's brilliant for making sure I'm at meetings on time. But it's over the water where they really do come into their own. It's not difficult to imagine the potential problems with travelling through several countries and not being able to speak or read any of the languages well. I don't actually have to imagine because I've been there lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 01/03/2008 18:30  

well ive travelrd europe in car an bike an never had any bother gettinlost was even fun ! learn a bit o f french an kraut but a lot speak english as a biker i hate the thought of anything taking peeps eyes of the rd !!now yu have young pratts watchin dvd's while drivin auto trader on telly had a yougpratt buyin a car solely on the pop up dvd player!!i am going toring in france this year a sat nav will not be needed yur wastin your money its almost nanny state!!perhaps they will make one that can wipe your arse for yu!!![i drove to india in the 70's no fkn sat nav!!]

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 01/03/2008 18:56  

oh look big sign posts sayin where places are!!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 01/03/2008 19:03  

sorry peeps if yu want one get one who the fk am i to sayother wise!rant over!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 01/03/2008 19:07  

You been to eastern europe then? Can you read them signs? Can you ask for directions? You know how BIG all the maps would be for the trip we're making? All the weight, baggage space, etc. All that fumbling around with paper maps in the wind, having to stop/pull over and mess about - then remembering it. I've done it mate, toured for years, and i get headache everytime if im map-reading. Now i get turn directions in my ear, i dont have to take my eyes off the road (And even if i do - its less so than if i had to look at a small paper map and find my location - cos iv now got a huge bright screen showing me where i am and when i need to turn!!!!). Sorry but ur totally wrong :-)

Update Reply
Matt @ 02/03/2008 04:13  

Matt have you toured Europe before ? Maybe I've got it wrong but at the beginning of the post you listed the countries you want to go to...well sorry to put a dampner on things but it would be near impossible to do them all in 14 days and have time to sleep let alone stop to take in the culture etc...As for the camping there are a few places where you can just turn up at but most you have to book in advance. Last year I like you wanted and thought I'd visit all those countries in one go and spent five months planning it...alas it didn't work out that way...it's ok saying we'll do 250 miles today etc etc but trust me it just don't work out that way....you could however have saline drips fitted to yourselves then you wouldn't need to stop for food etc lol. I really do wish you luck mate but it takes a lot of good planning..oh and a last thing...Switzerland is absolutely magnificent as a biker country.

Update Reply
Herne @ 02/03/2008 12:47  

Herne - you are of course right. However, in Matt's defense, everyone has a dream of travelling all over Europe in one big holiday away. He has since though started planning it and I believe realised the actual mileages involved.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 02/03/2008 13:58  

Hi Geoff I really hope he makes it as it's a wonderful experience. *****************BUMP****************

Update Reply
Herne @ 02/03/2008 14:02  

sorry i shouldnt tell people what do an will never mention them again,wouldnt mind one with the voice of john wayne or clint eastwood!or marylin monroe,marlene dietrich would be good!if i got one that is!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 02/03/2008 14:04  

I agree with Herne on this, you need to plan where your going and have a destination organised, if some people are planning to camp and some are staying in hotels then the likelyhood of them being at the same location is remote. If you intend to do big milages then an early start is essential other wise you will be looking for you locations in the dark. About sat navs, I think they are brill I have one in the car with speed camera locations as well, that has saved me a few times, and I have a Garmin Zumo on the bike which took me to Czech Republic and back last year with no bother.

Update Reply
Steve55 @ 02/03/2008 14:16  

Tango - ive got some sexy Dutch chick on mine - sweet! :-) Herne - thanks for your concerns. I have realised it's gonna be too much, so I'm going to go see my family in Hungary another time I think. That way we can enjoy places and maybe not do so many miles. Still think we need to get the destinations clarified though, then i can start planning it for the Zumo.

Update Reply
Matt @ 03/03/2008 08:41  

Also, if we do less places then camping might be more of an option that it would be if we had to travel a lot. I'd rather setup the tent for 3 days, before moving again, than putting it up/down EVERY day! Still hotels are cheap in some europe countries. Why are there no more people signing up for this trip??? PS: Zumo all fitted. Wired it into the headlight fuse, which is live even when the headlights are off (But only when ignition is on). Perfect!

Update Reply
Matt @ 03/03/2008 08:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email