MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Restrictions for new Drivers.

Restrictions for new Drivers. - Forums [Biker Match] Restrictions for new Drivers. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Restrictions for new Drivers.

Don't know whether any of you heard the Jeremy Vine show on radio 2 yesterday. They did an item on the increasing deaths of young or newly qualified drivers on our roads. We probably all know someone local who has suffered injury or death at the hands of inexperianced drivers. I certainly know I have. (junction.....Burburry cap alert in corsa....T BONE!) They had on the transport commisioner a Mrs Dunwoody. Normally I can't stand the woman as the usual tone suggests if your in the way of her Bently then your unfit to be on the road. However The transport commission are proposing that newly qualified drivers should be banned from taking passengers at least for the first year after passing the driving test. Now personally I'm in agreement partly. However I also think that the way we are taught to drive is not geared up for us to actually have the slightest idea what we are doing when we are let loose on our own. A friend of mine passed his test in Germany. There he was given practical lessons on night driving, motorway,rain,and as luck would have it snow driving (time of year I guess) How many of us pottered around a city centre or industrial estate for 90% of our lessons? Test routes are wrong, they should include where availiable motorway, fast duel , single lane, single track with passing places, city work and rural work. At least then we have a chance at understanding most road styles that we are likely to come across. There was a phone in too. Its amazing how many people suggested they should be limited to a one litre car, unmodified and no passengers for at least a year. Not one of them mentioned that we are already restricted. I'm quite fortunate as I have experianced all of the driving tests and currently hold all catergories. It was not until I undertook advanced driving that I went near a motorway under instruction. Same again with HGV. Why is motorway in this day and age still considered as advanced?.....for most people its part of the daily commute and is a bloody frightening experiance most of the time (even in an HGV!) Your thoughts on this please.................of course if the boy racers wore seatbelts in the first place then maybe they wouldn't have poor sods like me talking to them in the carridgeway, waiting for the ambulance after they had shot through the window or windscreen ( you only want to see one person whos done it!) Sorry to go on a bit but it is about time the leathality of inexperiance and the shortfalls of basic driver training were drummed home.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 04/01/2008 05:06  

I agree with the point about motorway driving...it is a complete different kettle of fish to deal with! I personally believe that ALL aspects of driving should be covered so you have a broad base to work on!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 04/01/2008 06:25  

Do agree that the first year of driving after passing the test should be restricted in some form or another. Def no bigger engine than a one litre (even that's quick when driven by a mad sod). Should show the P plate for at leaset 6mths like they do in some countries. Motorway driving should def be in the lessons somewhere (even if its just to stop middle lane hoggers... agh) This would then teach them to use their mirrors more. Don't think raising the age to 18 is going to make that much difference though.

Update Reply
babbsy @ 04/01/2008 06:49  

YOU RIDE A BIKE YOU DRIVE A CAR

Update Reply
imthedaddy @ 04/01/2008 09:24  

But why does time=experience? I rode more miles in my first 6 months than most bikers ride in their life! I lived on my bike, riding all over the country. Commuting daily too for 50-60 miles, then riding all around manchester as part of my job. I did no less than 100 miles a day. I also had the best training, and i do agree that it gave me a good idea of what to expect. I also went on group rides a lot. However, I carried passengers from day 1 and it was never a problem. Just like when i got my car licence. I was always carrying people. My first car was a 1.4, but a heavy car and so it wasn't fast. A 2 litre diesel estate car isn't going to be as fast as a 1 litre turbo pertrol civic or something! Its not the size of an engine that counts, so you really cant say "Oh no more than 1 litre for 1 year". I'm a very safe and cautious rider and driver, and i believe it's people's attitudes that needs changing and not the tests. A motorway isn't hard to use, as you do a lot of dual carriageway work during your training. Its the same basic principals. What matters is changing the attitudes of these idiots who think they're better than everyone else. A good solution would be - if you've got a criminal record before you're 17, then you're not allowed to drive until you're 21. If you're caught driving before you've got a licence, then you should be instantly banned for 10 years. If you're caught during them 10 years - prison!

Update Reply
Matt @ 04/01/2008 10:42  

I agree with a lot of what you have said there Matt. I too took passengers and indeed pillions from day one. There will always be exceptions to the rule and sadly certain spotty youths today learn to drive on a playstation and expect a real car to have a reset button too i think! I also think that if they are driving when banned or under age then they have already made the decision to have no respect for the law. They will simply drive or ride no matter what and just risk getting caught. Trouble is its the rest of us that have to pick up the bills for thier uninsured crashes etc. I think I'm turning into Alf Garnet as I'm getting older! LOL

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 04/01/2008 11:30  

Erm..why a ban on passengers? I don't understand that. Is it refering to the distraction a passenger may cause when talking to the driver? Does that mean there will be a ban on radios and CD players too? I'm curious as to HOW the motorway tuition will be taught to (some) already very nervous drivers/riders? It wasn't that long ago a woman had to be driven off the motorway cos she was terrified of the traffic and was only driving at 30mph. I can't imagine what carnage it will cause if more terrified learners are driving/riding on the motorway. I do agree tho, motorway tuition SHOULD be part of the lessons, not quite sure how it would be implemented tho or if it should be practical or theoretical tuition.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/01/2008 12:01  

A ban on passengers was to remove the peer pressure and indeed distractions. It was also to remove the temptation to show off. Won't stop them lining up for a race with each other though will it!

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 04/01/2008 12:55  

The ban on passengers would be to prevent the multiple fatality accidents we read about.

Update Reply
Steve55 @ 04/01/2008 13:01  

I'm glad I left the UK.... where the inocent are constantly punished for the wrong-doing of the stupid minority of people. So theres a lot of idiots under 21 who think they own the road.... but it's not EVERYONE under 21. Insurance companies don't trust young people, even after 5 years of proving yourself (Which I'm getting tired of now!!!). Can you imagine saying... theres a lot of red-haired people dealing drugs in London, therefore all red-haired people in London are drug dealers. Or that all car crashes are caused by youths with a bad attitude, so all youths shouldn't be allowed to carry passengers or drive half-decent cars - it's the same thing, stereotyping groups of people. You wouldn't do it to short, fat, tall, thin, black, gay, old...etc people would you??? So why do you think it's acceptable to punish young people because of the few ignorant. It's ageism, and I believe it's illegal as of about 2006. The insurance companies should be prosecuted for being agist and sexist. Young white males pay through the nose, whilst blind old ladies almost get their insurance for free. And you think I'm joking? My grandma is blind (almost, catarax and all that). She has no licence, never has, and is 85. I had to put her on my insurance when I was 18 so that I could get the price down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's always been the case in the UK to assume the worst about kids. I remember me and my friends were always followed around shops by security, even the same shop daily, because we weren't trusted. An ethnic-minority would claim racism here, whereas just a couple of nice decent kids have to put up with it. And will the bad youths listen to the law? No! Because it's these people who break the law anyhow. It will be the inocent, well-behaved youths who suffer when they can't take their grandma to the supermarket at the weekend. The UK government needs to get real! Have some more respect for the people of Britain and you'll soon see attitudes change and people will become more respectful for each other. Here in the Netherlands, the government gives people many more choices (A country where soft drugs, euthanasia, prostitution & abortion etc are legal) and as such people here are much happier and respectful for each other. You don't have some half-wit politicians telling you how to behave. The general rule is - don't hurt anyone and you're fine. Drive fast and you'll get away with it, drive dangerously and you're in big trouble.

Update Reply
Matt @ 04/01/2008 14:00  

I hear what you're saying Matt, about a more relaxed attitude but perhaps not all of it would work for everyone, differing cultures, people behaving differently to relaxed laws, taking advantage etc? Altho I'm all for legalising prostitution and regulating brothels and prostitutes (i.e. making sure they are safe and healthy, for their sake as well as clients) it doesn't necessarily mean it will stop the pimps from exploiting young girls or that there won't be anymore prostitutes on the streets. Altho some good can be done it doesn't mean that all badness will be erradicated forever.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 06/01/2008 12:14  

i think there sould be a engine size limit like there is on bikes , think its something like 33bhp for the frist two years for a biker these days please correct me if im wrong . ive know a few people to pass the car tests an there perants buy them an impertza .... and yes it did get totaled , in the frist few months causeing harm to another rd user , so yes there should be a restiction on for the frist two years of driveing ( ie nothing bigger than a 1.2 ) and if there is an accident and the insureance company find that the car has be tampered with be classed as driveing with insureance and retake there test's .

Update Reply
firebladekid @ 06/01/2008 12:55  

The trouble is alot of kids these days are spoilt because its a case of keeping up with the Jones's for some parents eh? I was quite happy with my Hillman Imp called 'Icarus' when I passed my test when I was 18. I was just so grateful of being able to drive that I really didnt give a shit what others thought of my car, especially as most of them were still getting the bus as they preferred to spunk their money on a waste of things! Its only now that I have my first nice sporty little car and being so much older now the insurance is cheap! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2008 13:26  

you cant go off cc though. As with bikes, its power that counts. It should be power/weight ratio though. Its expensive as well. I had to have 2 bikes restricted, a GPZ500 and a ZZR600. It cost me about 300 pounds each time! Just for some slides to be put into the carbs and for the garage to sign a certificate. I totally agree new drivers shouldnt be able to get an impretza, but they should be able to drive a 2 litre diesel astra van for example (I had to for work).

Update Reply
Matt @ 08/01/2008 10:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email