MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Advice for a newbie

Advice for a newbie - Forums [Biker Match] Advice for a newbie - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Advice for a newbie

Met a friend last night who says she wants to take up motorcycling, but doesn't know what to ride. She's a German artist about 30-ish. Average height, slightly built and very classy and chic. Another biker and I gave her the full pep talk and a few suggestions. We came up with a Ducati Monster or an SV650. Whatever she rides will have to have a bit of flair and style 'cos she's that kind of person. Suggestions, anyone?

Update Reply
Wills @ 01/01/2008 06:36  

SV is a great option, claire has one if i remember rightly. What option is she taking - 125 or DAS?

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/01/2008 06:46  

Can't go wrong with an SV, docile enough for a newbie yet strangely endearing and pokey enough for more experianced riders. My mate has a faired mk1 and it used to keep up with my tuned Aprilia Falco no probs.....If I let him I was really surprised at the room on the SV both leg and bum and the very stable handling. If I was in the market for one I wouldn't regret buying one for a second.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 01/01/2008 07:17  

I know about Claire's and how highly she thinks of it. Daytona Man's got one for sale, too, at a very reasonable price, and eh sings its praises to the skies. However, I rather think Birgit is waiting for the spring. I presume she's going for DAS.

Update Reply
Wills @ 01/01/2008 07:19  

Daytona mans......hey thats a point now he's flogged it he has to change his name!...........Anyways his would make a great used buy, decent price and I very much doubt a chap like that would let a duff one go!....It will be tip top and as described.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 01/01/2008 07:26  

would would ay a cbr600 good all rounder to start with

Update Reply
firebladekid @ 01/01/2008 08:09  

another good bike to look at is the yam xc535 virago if she is slight built a mates g/f had one for 2 years she loved it

Update Reply
gsrider @ 01/01/2008 09:55  

opps sorry drunken typing fingers strike again its the xv535

Update Reply
gsrider @ 01/01/2008 09:55  

SV,s a great bike, think the Ducati needs owner involvement -maintenance wise and might be the dodgier option buying second hand.A 600 Fazer [pre fuel injection] would be a sound buy and if she wants something milder a Honda CB500 is a great all rounder. Oh, if shes got the dosh Triumph Street Triple but I like a fairing meself.My ex would just buy the prettiest and get me to maintain it!

Update Reply
iggypup @ 01/01/2008 10:27  

Daytona_man is selling a rather nice SV650 and buying...another SV650, this time a newer and fully faired model in black.

I decided against the Ducati ST4S as a day to day bike on the grounds that they require too much attention and aren't really as reliable as their owners would have you believe. Besides, I don't need a litre-bike, I get on great with my SV.

An SV650 K3 onwards naked model makes a perfect introduction to bigger biking - no fairing to get damaged should it go over (which, let's face it, it's bound to do), light enough to handle, yet solid enough to be planted on the road. Enough power for someone with an unrestricted licence (like me) yet they can be easily restricted to 33bhp by simply swopping the ECU for a genuine Suzuki restricted one for about 35 quid off ebay - item number 220187798953.

Let me put it this way - I've been riding for nearly 30 years, had all manner of bikes including RD400s, trailies, Gixer Thou, ZX9R etc, yet the SV650s I've ridden have always made me grin like a loon when I get off.

Mine is having a new fuel tank fitted next week, so it will look almost 100% when it's sold.

Any questions about it then please pm me.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 01/01/2008 10:43  

I agree with FBK.. CBR600 is a good alround bike.... After all I have one...LOL

Update Reply
skins @ 01/01/2008 10:46  

well you ride like a beginner skins.... oh you're on about bikes... LOL

Update Reply
lula @ 01/01/2008 10:49  

I have a CBR600 trackbike...lots of expensive plastics to damage if you're a newbie, and let's face facts, we all dropped our first bike a couple of times at least, didn't we?

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 01/01/2008 11:01  

I would have to say get an SV - I've had one for a few years, done many miles (including touring abroad) and still love it. Its great all round town but when you want to open it up for a play its all there!! You can't beat a Vtwin for the noise as well he he!! I'm only 5'3" and get on with it fine - ok did have a bit taken out of the seat so I could get at least the ball of my foot on the ground, but its light enough. If she gets a semi-naked one and puts some mushrooms on it then there won't be the expensive plastic issues if it gets dropped. Anyway, good luck with whatever she gets and have lots of fun Xv

Update Reply
middlv @ 01/01/2008 11:25  

Your friend should try get as many test rides as she can only way to get a real feel even for a private sale find similar one in shop and take it for a blast

Update Reply
micksaway @ 01/01/2008 11:33  

Have to agree with gsrider, with the virago wills and she would find herself in a sound and very surportive mcc, with the vsoc, with plenty of women riders. However as micksaway says she should get as many test rides in as possible as like our bikes we are all individuals.

Update Reply
lcotgrave @ 02/01/2008 09:42  

almostbought a new harley sportster but at the last minute got a 2006 865cc triumph America an its great! with drag bars an forward controls it knocks spots of the 883[an 1200!] which it is aimed at,it,s good lookin [check my pics]it goes like stink with the after market noisey pipes an rejet an is lighter[althoughlonger but still a beutiful handler!] than Harleys!the ealier 765cc;s are cheaper now an are good value if your lookin for criusers with a Brit name,ps i still have my 1200 harley which is a great blast on short journeys an i love it to bits!but the triumph is the best bike!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 02/01/2008 17:37  

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Birgit's out of the country for a while, but I'll make sure she gets them. If anyone's interested here's a selection of her work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/papersculptures/

Update Reply
Wills @ 02/01/2008 18:25  

work or snaps???

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 02/01/2008 18:33  

sorry to burst your bubble wills but these are shit!!!ps i aint capaple of anythin better but you made her out to be sommat special!methinks you are besotted!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 02/01/2008 18:42  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email