MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Child Benefit - loss of personal data

Child Benefit - loss of personal data - Forums [Biker Match] Child Benefit - loss of personal data - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Child Benefit - loss of personal data

Just a serious note. Ive just had about 10 txts from worried friends about the cockup with millions of pieces of personal data involving anyone who is in receipt of Child Benefit. I used to work for the Inland Revenue and am not surprised in the slightest... On the eve of the main story breaking headlines on tv, I immediately rang my own bank...and changed all my security details...there is no point panicing and changing bank accounts - my own bank advised me to check every entry each day and if there were any anomalies to ring immediately. I raised the issue of if some nasty fraudster tried to clear my account, who would compensate me for the loss. Apparently the banks are going to bear the brunt the cost of this major catastrophic event.. My advice is to be more vigilant than normal...change all your security details and to ensure you check each and every transaction on a daily basis..

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 30/11/2007 07:34  

got a letter from the hm revenue and customs apologising for the unfortunate loss of all mine and my kids data!!! that really made my day-not!

Update Reply
witchiest @ 30/11/2007 08:29  

yep, i've had one too, so has my sister and also skins sister. charming isn't it. thanks inland revenue!

Update Reply
lula @ 30/11/2007 12:19  

Anyone in receipt of child benefit will have been involved in the loss of data. Your name, date of birth, address, bank account details, national insurance number and also names and date of birth of any child you are are claiming child benefit for are on the missing discs. Keep a watchful eye on your bank account BUT also watch out for anything arriving from banks, building societies etc that you do not bank with. The real problem lies in the fact that someone could clone your identity. At the moment they seem to think that the discs haven't been lost in transit but just keep vigilant. If you are at all concerned that someone is using your details fraudulantly then contact the company concerned immediately and verify what is happening and you can also contact Experian who will be able to produce a credit report that shows if anyone is applying for credit etc in your name.

Update Reply
Di @ 30/11/2007 12:47  

they wont get credit in my name

Update Reply
witchiest @ 30/11/2007 15:43  

Bless ya!

Update Reply
Di @ 30/11/2007 17:45  

The current Mrs Rattler received a letter from HMRC today. She's sh****ng herself now.

Update Reply
rattler @ 30/11/2007 19:01  

I think WE all are!!!

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 30/11/2007 19:03  

i had one too but like witchiest they;ll be buggered using mine lol

Update Reply
Sexysmirnoff @ 01/12/2007 12:35  

I dont know many of us that would be flush, especially when you have 3 girls to take care of!! You never have any money when they are still growing up...its all those haircuts, clothes, outings, credit for mobile phones now, etc etc...but they are totally worth it....every penny...

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 01/12/2007 13:35  

Me too, got mine yesterday, bum ah well, cant take what I havent got in the first place.....

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 02/12/2007 08:50  

Your identity is what they can take, they have all your details on that disc, applying for credit is the least of your problems! They can forge documents (bank statements being one!) and apply for passports, driving licences etc. I work for a building society and we see it every day!!! You just need to be extra vigilent and hopefully these discs haven't got to the wrong people and will be found! It can take years for you to get identity theft sorted out, lots of stress and heartache involved. Don't underestimate this problem for heavens sake but don't worry about it too much, just take care.

Update Reply
Di @ 02/12/2007 09:50  

Thanks for confirming exactly what it is we are dealing with, I dont even have a passport or driving license so I guess it would be easy for them to get one then - scary

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 02/12/2007 12:14  

Like TD said N68, you have got to remain vigilant...it IS a serious matter...just wanted to make sure everyone knew where they stood without frightening them to death...

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 02/12/2007 13:46  

i am a nervous wreck about it,but theres not alot we can do now,they have all the data,i guess we just gotta double check everything,letters we get from places we havnt contacted and stuff like that. as if there isnt enough to worry about when ur a single mum

Update Reply
witchiest @ 02/12/2007 14:07  

To echo Nutkin....BUM!!! Just got back from a weekend away helping a mate move to be greeted by my (expectedbut dreaded) apology letter! And as Witchy said...as if there isn't enough to worry about without those in control losing control of what's important to us!

Update Reply
tigz @ 02/12/2007 21:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email