MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Newbies Forum

Man on a mission!

Man on a mission! - Forums [Biker Match] Man on a mission! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Newbies Forum /

Man on a mission!

Hi All, David here, a newbie to the forum. Why a man on a mission?? Well I am on a mission to chill out and relax. I spoke to a few of you last night on the chat room, which was great, but I thought I would post on here too. I am currently on a Brittany ferry to Bilbao with my bike, for a 10 day wander around Spain and Portugal. Bit of an adventure really, and like I said, to chill out and relax. No plans, no route, no maps, no sat nav, no idea!! I have never done touring before, so to go on your own is a bit scary, but I am excited about it I thought it would be nice to start a thread, and keep you all posted on my trip. Can you post pictures on the forum?? Currently Iit is 6.30 am and the cafe on the ship doesn't open till 7 so I haven't even had a coffee yet!! Cheers David

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/10/2015 06:38  

Go for it Collie. Bring on the story.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 22/10/2015 18:18  

No plans, no route, no maps, no sat nav, no idea!! Sure it may feel scary. But bet you'll have stories to tell and thinking it's the best thing you've ever done and glad you did it.

Wishing you the best for the journey

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/10/2015 19:30  

Look forward to catching those updates :> Ride safe.

Update Reply
Alice2 @ 22/10/2015 19:36  

If you had let us know before hand, I would have said "Stay clear of the breakfast on that ferry".
Earlier I managed about four mouthfuls before heading for the toilet, but it may have been the overdosing on Stella the night before.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 22/10/2015 20:18  

Thanks guys and girls,
Not gone too far today. In fact about 50 miles ??
I am in a little coastal village called somo near Santander but j s. Planning a big ride tomorrow to mid Portugal

Any news on posting pictures ??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/10/2015 21:20  

Hi Collie if you click on the search box at the top of the page than enter insert images in the box you will get the infor. you need. That is the small box to the right not the white one it gives you forum search.
Going of by yourself is a great way to do it, you can go were you like when you like and if you dont like not at all, without falling out with anyone, you will meet people along the way and have a brilliant time, i like getting up on the moutain pass,s roads but please ride safe.

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 23/10/2015 06:17  

Hi David

Welcome to BM

What an exciting adventure for you! I look forward to all your photos and updates!

Ride Safe and Enjoy!

Update Reply
Karey @ 23/10/2015 13:43  

jelous

Update Reply
havfun @ 23/10/2015 14:51  

Hi guys,
Just a little update. So Friday , I set off to find a biker friendly place called bikers base in portalegre Portugal. It was going to be a long ride South. After an hour and a half , I discoverd the sea reappeared on my right. I was going due west along the coast ! Doh! Backtracked and got on the right road by lunchtime. Then nearly 500 miles of hard riding on the autovia's to finally arrive in portalegre about 7 pm. knackered or what !!??
Bikers base was a great place to stop and I gave myself a day off on Saturday to recover.
Back on the road today and headed north to a place called Braganca in North easetern Portugal. Great ride through amazing scenery. Nearly ran out of petrol though ,I freewheeled into a town off the autovia on vapours and managed to find a station at the last minute.
The big autovia's are great but no service areas in the deepest parts of central Portugal. The roads all look new and there is nobody a all on them. Weird.
Taking a more rural route tomorrow heading back to the picos mountain range.
Still can't post pictures though sorry ??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2015 18:25  

Enjoy the trip and worry about posting photos once you're home is my advice

If you're determined, upload them to your profile and then see how you get on following advice in this thread

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2015 19:09  

Hi David,
met you briefly in chat on the ferry. Interesting reports of your adventures, keep them coming and keep safe.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 25/10/2015 21:29  

Thanks Mike, will do.
Hi again Izzy, glad you are watching !!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/10/2015 22:14  

Helmet off to you Collieman. A solo adventure sounds not only exciting but character building too!

Sounds like you are having a fab time so far. Waiting for the next instalment.

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 25/10/2015 22:25  

hi looking forward to the read x

Update Reply
kaycat @ 26/10/2015 16:46  

Well I made it to Oviedo in northern Spain yesterday. Nearly back to the coast.. It was a fantastic ride up here through the mountains and tunnels but a bit scary too. It rained nearly all the way and the main roads are fast ,but sharp bends on them. Especially through the mountains
I dumped my gear at the hotel and went for a wander round the town on my bike. Stopped for a few coffee's but couldn't find anywhere suitable to eat.the restaurants don't open till late at night. I ended up eating back at the hotel.
Must confess I am a bit pissed off this morning ,the constant rain is no fun, I can't really enjoy the bike or the roads as I thought I would.
Just bad luck I guess.
Only 120 miles today back to Santander wherei have booked a nice hotel on the beach.
Oh BTW I bought a sat nav in Portugal ,so at least I know where I a, going now! Live and learn !! https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/cgi-bin/thumbnail.aspx?width=1200&height=1200&source=/sites/bm/profiles/uploads/71315_bm_1_bm_4780547805.jpg&watermark=true&type=JPG

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/10/2015 06:27  

https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/cgi-bin/thumbnail.aspx?width=1200&height=1200&source=/sites/bm/profiles/uploads/71315_bm_1_bm_4780547805.jpg&watermark=true&type=JPG

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/10/2015 06:36  

Does your SatNav talk to you in Portuguese?

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 27/10/2015 09:49  

In Feburuary i bought a satnav in Australia and it talks to me Australian, be alright when i go back

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 27/10/2015 12:45  

Loving reading about your trip . Hope the rain has stopped for you . Ride safe .

Update Reply
Jackyan @ 27/10/2015 18:12  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email