MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

When posting a reply to a Private Message could we see the original

When posting a reply to a Private Message could we see the original - Forums [Biker Match] When posting a reply to a Private Message could we see the original - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

When posting a reply to a Private Message could we see the original

Matt,

When we click on the [Reply] button to a Private Message (PM) and enter the compose reply page would it be possible to display the message we are replying to?

Alternatively, could the reply form be at the bottom of all the pages displaying the PMs we are reading?

Also, like on the Forum pages, could we have an "Email me a copy of this message" option for all the PMs and replies we have, and have it selected by default or profile option?

What does the assembled gathering think about this suggestion?

R

Update Reply
Berks_Biker @ 31/08/2007 07:50  

Yah with you on that one, would be much easier to reply to a pm if you could see the original one you are replying to. Also is there a way of deleting messages sent and recieved in bulk rather than individually as that seems to take for ever, or am I just popular and get more than most. lol hardly think so.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 31/08/2007 08:22  

Would also be good if we were able to go into a message we have put on a thread and be able to edit it instead of having to add another one like I am doing now.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 31/08/2007 08:27  

yea it used to be the case that the orignal message was inserted in private messages. However, by adding this "default text" if you like it was clashing with the javascript (Which enables the html stuff). It was causing any "replies" to be sent twice (One blank PM and one PM with the real PM in). SO - I had to get rid of the default text. However - your 2 suggestions about adding the message to the page so you can see what you are replying to are very easy to implement. Leave it with me as ive gotta fix a puncture today and go show laura some houses etc. Ill try and sort it tonight for you.

Update Reply
Matt @ 31/08/2007 08:41  

The requests, for seeing original message when replying, and being able to delete SENT messages, as well as an edit button, have all been asked for before, especially the edit button for forum posts, I asked for before, so have quite a few people. It would be good if an edit button was added, it would help to keep the amount of posts down thereby creating the much needed space that Matt mentioned before. There could be a time limit to the edit procedure so that the post can't be edited weeks or months later, and obviously, only our own posts that we can edit. What about it Matt? Any chance? Please?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 31/08/2007 09:09  

yep definitely. In fact there are so many request for new features or changes to the site that I think im gonna have to sort out a spreadsheet or something because im loosing track! I can create an edit button for like 20 minutes after the post was made etc, but any more could cause problems. The delete sent items thing will require 10 minutes downtime to be scheduled for database changes.

Update Reply
Matt @ 31/08/2007 09:24  

can we delete sent emails matt as i have sent shit loads ( there I go again MULTI THREADING ) lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/08/2007 09:56  

KOJ I think sent message's are deleted by the reciever.

Update Reply
Oggy @ 31/08/2007 10:02  

so the ones in my sent box are there until they delete them

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/08/2007 10:06  

I think so mate,not 100% sure of that one tbh but I remember asking that question myself ages ago & the answer was something along those lines.

Update Reply
Oggy @ 31/08/2007 10:10  

If that's the case, Oggy, then what we have to do is ask all those folk we've PMed to delete their messages from us. Mmm I see a prob with that one, cos then we'll have created MORE PMs that need deleting lol Matt: I can create an edit button for like 20 minutes after the post was made Excellent!! 20 mins is ample time to edit our posts. Nice one Matt

Update Reply
Sandi @ 31/08/2007 10:39  

Oggy - what you said would have been right ages ago, but ive changed it now. When people delete their PMs now, it still stays in your sent items. The data stays in the database but you basically ask it to hide certain PMs from your inbox (THeyre still there, just hidden). What I need to do is the reverse so that you can HIDE your sent items (Although they will stay there for the recipient to see.

Update Reply
Matt @ 31/08/2007 10:47  

Oh chit! I keep getting 'delete' mixed up with 'hide' *slap* meself Where I've put 'delete' delete it and substitute 'hide' lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 31/08/2007 10:52  

there you go KOJ ,question answered.

Update Reply
Oggy @ 31/08/2007 10:56  

Where I've put 'hide' hide it and substitute 'hide' lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 31/08/2007 10:57  

I'm confused now

Update Reply
Oggy @ 31/08/2007 11:01  

thanks oggy matt and oh ok course kwak

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/08/2007 11:20  

Hey - another question - is there anyway of having a 'quote' button - ie when replying to someone in a topic - as in now, you can quote what you're replying to??...I know I can cut & paste the message, but have to manually add in such&suchabody said. (does that make sense??????? )

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 31/08/2007 13:40  

yes,in a round about way

Update Reply
Oggy @ 31/08/2007 13:43  

Wow, quite a thread from my original request! :)

Thanks Matt for saying you can add the Reply form on the bottom of the InBox message page, or adding the message being commented on above the Reply form.

Also thanks for saying you'll add the "and email it to me" option as well.

While you doing this, could I ask for just a couple of related options.

(a) Add "Re: " infront of the Subject, if there isn't one already, on the Reply form.

(b) Add a "forward this PM to me" option to the form displaying a message from the InBox. This, along with my original 2nd request, allows for private copies of all the correspondence to be held in a person's own email client so they can be reviewed, printed, put into separate folders, or whatever without having to go online to access the relevant message.

Thanks, R

Update Reply
Berks_Biker @ 31/08/2007 18:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email