MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

When posting a reply to a Private Message could we see the original

When posting a reply to a Private Message could we see the original (2) - Forums [Biker Match] When posting a reply to a Private Message could we see the original (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

When posting a reply to a Private Message could we see the original

all good suggestions - ill put a spreadsheet together when I get home of "Development requests" or something. U can't put a quote button unfortunately for the same reason as other PMs cannot be put into replies... it posts the form twice. I spent many hours trying to figure it out to no avail - so when it failed even when all the code was right, i had to put it down to a conflict of diff technologies.

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/09/2007 03:05  

Matt: U can't put a quote button unfortunately for the same reason as other PMs cannot be put into replies... it posts the form twice. I spent many hours trying to figure it out to no avail - so when it failed even when all the code was right, i had to put it down to a conflict of diff technologies. So, copy and paste it is then (Good morning Matt)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/09/2007 03:08  

lol yep. N good morning. I'm working today (All weekend and all week!)

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/09/2007 04:36  

It's good to have NEW experiences, Matt, the change will do you the world of good

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/09/2007 05:35  

Of course

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/09/2007 07:27  

Hi Matt,

I thought you could have multiple forms on a single webpage. Have a look at the XHTML standard on the W3C official site.

Alternately, look at XForms (an XML derived standard).

Thirdly, if you make the Reply form a secondary form, then you could add a [Formar to me] button on the InBox message form, like you have the [Reply] and other buttons.

Finally, you could just add a profile option to allow the auto forwarding of the full message rather than just the notification that a message had arrived. That means we can decide whether we want to go onto the site and send a reply. :-)

R

Update Reply
Berks_Biker @ 03/09/2007 18:31  

It's good to make users come back to the site - rather than just looking at their PMs in an email. We want returning visitors :-P The issue isn't with forms, its a javascript issue. If theres default text, then the javascript for some reason submits the form twice (Once with blank content and once with the full message). I've been thinking of a way to resolve it, like creating a "threaded" type of PM string, so you can click to see the PM that you replied to. It's all a lot of work though - for very little improvement to service. For now, I think having the original message under the text box is good enough, and it also keeps the data to a minimum (No duplicate content in the databse everytime you reply). The forwarding button, and "email me a copy" thing should be very easy to implement, and i'll do it asap as its a good feature thats easy to make.

Update Reply
Matt @ 03/09/2007 19:07  

Ive added the "Original message..." bit to the reply box.

Update Reply
Matt @ 04/09/2007 14:58  

"Email me a copy of this message" has been added to the reply box in PMs.

Update Reply
Matt @ 04/09/2007 15:11  

Ive added the "Original message..." bit to the reply box. Nice one Matt, thanks

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/09/2007 15:55  

Update Reply
Di @ 04/09/2007 17:35  

Just replied to my first pm without needing to take notes!!!

Brilliant Matt,huge improvement

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/09/2007 17:46  

I agree, nice one fella . The site just keeps getting better all the time.

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 04/09/2007 18:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email