MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

to move or not to move

to move or not to move - Forums [Biker Match] to move or not to move - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

to move or not to move

I have had a hell of a week where nothing has gone as planned and outside influences and my past got in the way of everything! Add to that a long chat with a friend about life, love and the universe! and realising i dont have much of any of those! im thinking its time for a change and pondering moving back to the mainland. Ive been here since 2005 and my family here in ireland consists of my 2 sons one is moving back to england with his girlfriend and kids after xmas and the youngest whos 21 lives with me (no issue as hes unemployed) i have a daughter and grandchild in scotland. My house is rented and i have enough savings to start me off....so money not an issue. on the cons side i have a job here but reckon i could be self employed very easily....have quite a few strings to my bow. anyone any advice or thoughts.....im thinking maybe southern scotland....have a fair few friends there already....this at least puts me the right side of the water. My reasons for moving to ireland originally have evaporated with my marriage and the pigheaded side of me which wanted to stay because if i left "he" had driven me out has kinda mellowed to indifference as to what "he" thinks. I suppose the only thing keeping me here is work....which is ....well i suppose a means to an end and not the be all and end all. any thoughts? what would you do?

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/10/2012 10:02  

When you get older and then look back and think........I wish i had............................... Go for it. !!!! Southern Scotland is nice and puts you withinn reach of various BM rideouts too There's my tuppence worth anyway.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 17/10/2012 10:59  

Always a hard decision as to make major changes in life. As a lot of family and friends back on the mainland would make the move easier should you choose to make it. I would look upon your time there as an experience and another move would be another experience, I would have loved to have lived in other area's purley for the change but family, work, relationships always seemed to have prevented it in some way. One day maybe. The hardest thing is being able to make a living so if you are confident you will be able to do so then why not go for it. Another chapter in life, another new experience.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 17/10/2012 11:10  

You have lots going for you from what ive read Debs..but your happiness and contentment is extremely important too,and its a big decision , so ask yourself this , What do i have to lose if i move?.. and what can i gain by moving ? It looks like you have lots to gain , your friends, family, and also by leaving the past behind, new beginings Debs lovey... I wish you well with whatever you decide. xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2012 11:16  

thanks for the input so far people......all positive....anyone any negative thoughts?

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/10/2012 11:36  

I don't do negative thoughts Debs.............learnt that some years ago, always look forwards, leave the past where it belongs.
Onwards and upwards girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 17/10/2012 11:43  

Agree with 800 AJ. The past is in the past, can't change that. The future isnt written yet, so you can.

Update Reply
Sweeny Todd @ 17/10/2012 11:53  

No negativity from me either Debs..xx

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2012 12:01  

Given your love of Kawasaki - you should move somewhere with a decent dealership nearby. Other than that - I've always found moving to be a positive experience - better than the alternative anyhow.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2012 12:03  

Looking forward to the housewarming party already and think of all the dosh saved on ferry fares

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2012 12:30  

Debs what is your head telling you to do lol

If your asking the question then i think you should go for it :0

Only thing i would say is depending on what it is that you do for a living may impact the best place for you to move to. Some areas hhave low employment rate, so a wee bit of checking may be wise :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 17/10/2012 12:40  

From what you've said you have far more pro's than cons in your favour, and that you are wanting to move and perhaps are asking for permission from yourself to do so?.

Follow your instincts. After all, nothing is forever, so if you don't like where you move to, you can move again..... for there's nothing worse than looking back and thinking 'I wish' or if only'.

Look upon it as an adventure, one that you have only yourself to consider..... it's a fab position to be in ...and enjoy!

The very best of luck to you!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2012 13:09  

Im an accountant BJ. @ SS why do i need a kawasaki dealer nearby.....i fix my own bikes and buy all my parts online.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/10/2012 13:35  

Hello Kwakgirl, you should go with your first decision! its 99.9 % right ! Plus it is an adventure with new horizons which is postive , and starting something new with a career will have its good point and not so good points but , it is always exciting what ever you do have a smile and everything will be a ok ta Ginger x p.s can you come and fix my bike ! but its not a kawasaki !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2012 14:04  

In that case Debs you'll find work anywehere :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 17/10/2012 14:09  

Why not sound out with your friends in the area as to the job situation as well as the housing situation. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain.
From experience i have spent 26 years doing a job i dislike, just because it pays the bills and keeps the peace. I am now finding that I'm classed as too old to do anything else and don't have enough experience for work outside of what I do, so feel stuck. But I have finally got to a point where I am starting to do things I've wanted to do for myself for a long time and loving every minute of it. I have fallen on my arse (figuretively and physically) several times and made a complete fool of myself, but hey I've not lost anything by giving stuff a go (other than my pride, and I don't have too much of that). You wanted negatives..so...you could fail, it could go pear shaped, but, now for the positive, so what, at least you won't regret trying.

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 17/10/2012 14:10  

@kwakgirl - I used to buy all my kwak rebuild purchases online but I found the postage was insane because I couldn't get everything in the same place and also the parts were not up to the job when they weren't genuine parts. I found that to my cost after spending about a grand on a full restoration of my KZ1000 engine only to have the base and head gaskets go South even before it was run in again. Sadly the best Kwak dealer near me (Oxford motorcycle Engineers) closed ages ago.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2012 14:30  

Just do it Debs You won't know if you don't give it a go So it's time to move on with your life All positive as far as I can see You'll have all the BM family right on your doorstep And as XK said, think of the ferry fares you'll save

Update Reply
Emzed @ 17/10/2012 14:40  

@ SS i get all genuine kwak bits from cornwall kawasaki
thanks Em and everyone else whos said "yeah just do it!"

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/10/2012 15:45  

"@ SS i get all genuine kwak bits from cornwall kawasaki"

How well stocked / reliable are they? I might give them a go on my rebuild rebuild. :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/10/2012 15:48  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email