MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Parking Fares Matlock

Parking Fares Matlock - Forums [Biker Match] Parking Fares Matlock - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Parking Fares Matlock

Hey Guys, Just read this on SMC facebook page thought you might like your say... Businesses in Matlock Bath have said they are unhappy about plans to charge bikers to park on the street. Traders claim it will stop people from visiting.Derbyshire County Council said it plans to introduce the on-street parking charges on the North and South Parades after consultation.What are your thoughts?

Update Reply
OMNF @ 24/07/2012 21:29  

How they gonna enfoce It?? Put a ticket on a bike and somebody will help themselves!! Wonder if this is a "suggestion" by plod to County Council,who fund them, as a way of keeping "costs" down?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2012 21:39  

its pure rubbish bikers have been going to matlock bath for ever and we spend a fortune evry year its just beaurocratic rubbish we should protest if they do its unfair

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 24/07/2012 21:47  

I can just imagine that protest now! How would they ticket thousands of bikes?! lol might be fun though

Update Reply
OMNF @ 24/07/2012 21:53  

2 yrs ago they were trying to get bikes out of Matlock, completely !! , simply because it was free parking, local residents were complaining like mad at that time, but petitions were signed which stopped it....a lot was done behind closed doors too as it would have had an adverse effect on shops and cafes..thankfully that was sorted and now this ...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2012 21:57  

yeah i remember that.i dont see what the problem is we go,meet up,chat and spend money its not like we go roasting babies or running old biddies over (leave that for the rallies lol only joking )
its just pants and i think they are idiots

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 24/07/2012 22:02  

Soon as i get to know when the meeting is im off to it ...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/07/2012 22:05  

Another short-sighted kneed jerk by a council trying to muster up some cash -

Take your mind back ten-fifteen years, councils introduced parking charges for town centres, p***ing off consumers,

The same Councils then allow massive out of town development, with free parking so they can rake in business rates...

Despite constantly telling pollsters they prefer town centre shopping, Everyone objects to paying for parking so goes to the out of town stores..

Because no-one goes to the town centre anymore for shopping, decade old established business go bust and are replaced by charity shops and discount stores selling junk,

Fast forward to today and Now nobody WANTS to go to the town centre because you have to pay to park somewhere thats run down, is full of tat and you'd probably end up gettin mugged by some cheap cider swilling chav thug!

Now those same councils that introduced paid parking have lost the parking revenue and the business rates as half the shops are boarded up, and the silly beurocratic fools don't understand why!

*rant over* -------

Of course, Matlock is different, in that it's a tourist attraction and not a shopping venue, but I'll guarentee that business will suffer there if charges are introduced,

People will still visit but it will be less often, they'll goto another bike haunt such as Squires or Rivvy barn where you can soak up the same atmosphere, ride equally good roads , and park for free!

*rant truly over*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/07/2012 00:13  

How do they police it? Easy, you key in your registration number and pay by card, possibly cash if the machine accepts it. No ticket required. I wonder if the traders at Matlock Bath will reduce their prices when we have to pay parking fees? Visitors have to have some incentive. Thanks OMNF for letting us know

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/07/2012 04:58  

No worries, let me know when the ride of protest is i'm in!!

Update Reply
OMNF @ 25/07/2012 22:06  

There will always be the parking fee issue as soon as some accountant see there is money to be made for local government but to be honest it will be just 1 more reason not to go to matlock your moaning about the price of a parking ticket when your being ripped off at the cafe?

Update Reply
JP @ 26/07/2012 10:24  

Years ago a mate and me got parking tickets in Bourton on the Water (cotswolds), we were parked near a posh restaurant on a grass verge, we spotted the owner go over to a traffic warden as we were sat outside a nearby pub. Anyhow we got back and there was the tickets stuck on the tanks! My mate peeled it off and stuck it on his tyre, he then pulled up near the restaurant door and did a burn-out filling the place with burnt rubber and shredded parking ticket! We still ended up paying the fines, and his stupidity didn't help matters (we were young then). Anyhow I've gone off track now, but what I was trying to say was F*ck 'em, money grabbing barstewards.

Update Reply
Viking Tel @ 26/07/2012 11:29  

Here's a link to the forum thread Paul started, to sign a petition http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?to...c_id=10607

Update Reply
Sandi @ 29/07/2012 05:44  

Signed up a few days ago on MCN. word is getting around on BM also which is good stuff. Fact is, that Matlock Bath is centrally located to major UK cities with a large biker biker population.It is a perfect place for rest and meet up. The revenue potential is obviously enormous and the council will want to enjoy some of that. Sadly, ticketless technology is more than likely - so I think we have to accept that, and find a new place to meet which is free. A protest ride was mentoned - when and where? the MCN reclaim Wales day was great fun. Count me in please

Update Reply
garymontego @ 29/07/2012 08:25  

There all at it ,if theres mony to be made they,ll make it we live in a money mad society, seems everywhere you go and everything you do MONEY is at the heart of it... we have to accept it ... its the times we,re livin in Ride On....

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 06/08/2012 09:28  

can i just ask a question without getting shot down in flames. As a car driver as well as a bike rider whats the difference when it comes to parking charges, why should i get charged in my car and not on my bike. don't get me wrong i get just as pi$$ed off about it as the next person, but whats the difference

Update Reply
Roughie @ 07/08/2012 13:58  

Well, for a start Roughie, a car takes up the parking space of 4 bikes That's revenue potential for traders, of up to 8 people Whereas a car would be a "maximum" of 5 So on pure visitor numbers the local traders would lose out Which is what most of them base their "sales forecasts" on Another "consideration" which has already been mentioned is the "attraction" of the bikes which provides a spectacle for visitors I don't think a town full of "cars" would have the same effect somehow There is also the "congestion" aspect to consider Bikes don't create any, even in their thousands But a thousand or more cars converging on MB would create an enormous "traffic jam"

Update Reply
Emzed @ 07/08/2012 17:28  

Here here emzed bikes more envir freindly all round

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 07/08/2012 17:54  

Roughie, where they want to bring in parking fares (the long stretch outside shops) cars don't currently have to pay either. If the money grabbers have their way both cars and bikes will have to pay. The reason they focus mainly on the bikes is cause as emzed said you can fit 4 bikes in the space of one car so the pound signs are flashing in front of their eyes.
Hope this helps in short both will have to pay where as currently neither do

Update Reply
OMNF @ 07/08/2012 19:44  

I am not talking just about Matlock its everywhere I just don't see the difference, there should maybe be a reduced rate for bikes as you say they take less room, but if a car is having to pay for parking so should bikes. when it comes to bring people into the area for shopping a car can fit upto 7 if its a big jobby, the most a bike can bring is 2 If i had my way nobody should pay to park.... we pay road tax that should entitle us to park !!!!

Update Reply
Roughie @ 08/08/2012 09:54  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email