MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Wet Weather Biking ?

Wet Weather Biking ? - Forums [Biker Match] Wet Weather Biking ? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Wet Weather Biking ?

Just wondering what the general opinion is about wet weather riding.
Do some people still ride their bikes knowing that they are going to get soaked ?
Now I am older I avoid going out in the wet unless I need too.
Am I less of a biker for thinking this way ? some of my friends reckon I am.

Update Reply
boxercup @ 24/06/2012 14:34  

I'm with you on this one boxercup, as my bike is my toy it stays in the garage if it's peeeing down. I will take it out if there is only a slim chance of getting wet on the way home but, it stays put if it's wet to start with. I don't think you can get the full enjoyment of riding a bike when it's wet, my nerves arn't what they used to be and i don't take so many risk's these days. I have a car for rainy days (seems to be getting a lot of use lately) and the bike for fun clear dry days.

Update Reply
AndySimmo @ 24/06/2012 15:07  

NO! You're not less of a rider. Just do your things your way and don't worry about what others think. Those who set themselves up as proper/better/holier than thou bikers are just scoring points and massaging their own egos. You'll get wet when you're not expecting to; it's got to happen. It's all part of it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2012 15:12  

I have a car for when it rains!

Update Reply
Sprint900 @ 24/06/2012 15:27  

Boxercup, in my opinion you are NOT less of a biker , it is entirely up to the individual! Last year I set off to many rallies and events in the rain (live in Scotland) - arriving drenched and soggy . I am not a typical Harley rider, as I'm not precious about my bike getting wet or dirty (Harley riders, you know that some you are adverse to rain & mud - don't be annoyed hehehe). To be honest I absolutely sickened myself of getting wet!!!!! This year if it's raining and looks like it will be wet for a while, I've chosen not to get the bike out. I have nothing to prove and after all biking to me is a hobby - albeit my only hobby, I want to be happy and safe playing at it. I have the car luckily for yucky, drookit days Ride safe and be happy

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 24/06/2012 16:24  

People ride bikes for many different reasons When,where and in what conditions Is entirely up to the individual Some folk "enjoy" getting wet and mucky (strange but true) "Off road" events are often held in appalling conditions GP riders are not as keen ; (with good reason, hundreds of BHP on a wet track is a scary prospect) But they DO race in the rain I have never had a car licence so it has always been "Hobsons Choice" when it came to setting off/traveling in the rain, snow, fog or any of the variations in between But I don't and never will brand any other rider as a "fair weather" rider After all I now ride a C1 and must admit that "enjoy" the novelty of sitting behind the screen and switching the wiper on when rain appears on it I was so happy that I'd taken the C1 on my birthday ride When I hit the cloudburst which virtually closed the M1 later that day and quite a few who were out that day posted on here that they got "soaked" I've NEVER "enjoyed" riding in unfavourable conditions and have taken the offer of car rides to avoid getting wet in the past, as I will again in the future So no matter WHAT you ride or WHEN you ride it If it gives you pleasure Keep doing it Ride On Ride Free Ride Safe

Update Reply
Emzed @ 24/06/2012 16:48  

i have been riding for 34 yrs i have a car licence i choose not to have a car.bikes are my life its personal choice i do my shopping on my bike i do everything on my bike its part of me.but nobody in their right mind actually enjoys getting drenched.but it life we live in england lol

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 24/06/2012 17:02  

It is interesting reading the opinions of others.
When I was young and did not have much money the Bike was my only form of transport and I had no choice when it rained, Snowed or the roads were iced over, and believe me I had more than my fair share of sliding down the tarmac or bouncing over a car bonnets.
Now I am older and being able to run a Car and a couple of bikes, I do have that choice.
I am only bringing this subject because of all the bad weather we are having at the moment.

Update Reply
boxercup @ 24/06/2012 17:38  

Definately not less of a biker for not going out in the rain, as you have pointed out, for many it is their only means of transport, for those who are fortunate to have other options like a car the bike can be just for the nice days.
Personally I tend to ride in all weathers for a combination of reasons, but certainly not so I can bragg about what a tough arse I am, each to thier own, Mine isn't a show bike so Im not so worried about that side of it, it can take a lot of work getting all that clagg out of your crevices, even longer off your bike, do your riding your way and dont worry about the diva's who think they're something special

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2012 18:04  

I m with zzrbabe42 no car so get wet no choice

Update Reply
shelleygirl @ 24/06/2012 18:49  

Hey Boxercup... Real "friends " wouldnt say that.. bare that in mind.. do what you feel is right and safe for you.. end of... x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/06/2012 19:12  

Unfortunatly in this country if your not prepared to run the risk of having to ride in the wet you ain't going to get out much! Rode home from the MAG demo ride today in a downpour for the last few miles with the roads totally awash but still got home with a smile on my face

Update Reply
centurion @ 24/06/2012 19:19  

LOL @ H H's comment ...it can take a lot of work getting all that clagg out of your crevices, even longer off your bike... When I had a bike it was my only mode of transport. I rode in the rain cos, like Centurion said, I'd never have got out if I'd waited for a dry day. I was, and still am, a learner and riding on wet roads never worried me, I never gave it a second thought. I had enough to worry about with the SMIDSYs trying to send me to an early grave. *tuts* If I had a bike now I WOULDN'T ride in the rain, unless it was absolutely necessary, reason = nothing I wore kept me dry and I was sick of getting wet.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/06/2012 05:21  

my opinion,and mine alone.......just get out there,when you can,on whatever you ride,if it rains,oh well i'm wet...BUT on those glorious but oh too few days ,when you've finished for the week,nothing to commit to,the SHEER EXUBERANCE of riding two wheels on a familiar road in the sun is enough to make me SMILE FIT tO BUST.ALWAYS wave or nod to all going the other way on 2 wheels,scooters ,mopeds,it don't matter...we're all the same family in that!and if you've got somebody at the end of that journey too...................enuff said.pillions,shuggy forwards a wee bit and hug,ahhh that's good...xx

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 25/06/2012 09:31  

in a nutshell,yes if it floats yer boat(sic),but if you dont like wetriding dont,YOUR choice,YOUR bike!!

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 25/06/2012 09:32  

You buy your bike, you pay for it's upkeep and the fuel and insurance etc. It's up to the owner and individual, how and when you ride and use it.

However, on a personal note. When I started riding 2 stroke Yamaha's in my teens, they tended to have nasty nasty, high nylon content, Yokohama tyres. Manhole covers, white lines etc, in the wet, made for "clenched buttock" experiences. Oh, and don't jam the anchors on too hard either.
I developed quite a phobia about wet weather riding!.

Roll on to the present, lovely Honda, with Bridgestones and seven years together, Rain!, no problem. Actually enjoy it mostly. Pushed back my limits and overcome my phobia, so, it can have a positive, the wet stuff.

I really enjoy cleaning my bike, "crevices" and all.
Arriving at "The Farmyard" soaking wet and having to camp, was'nt brilliant but, we survived.
Do your own thing

Update Reply
clarkee @ 25/06/2012 10:47  

clarkee,don't forget that bridgestone used to be the largest o.e. tyre supplier in the 60/70's for japanese factories...when i bought my z1,it didn't even leave the shop till tt100s were fitted,but now ,my 600speed four relies on bridgestone bt's to stay shiny side up all weathers,full circle or what!

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 25/06/2012 12:26  

"Back in the day" when I started biking
The only tyres you could get for bikes were Avon SM's or Dunlop K70's and the "odd" Firestone As soon as TT100's and Roadrunners came out the choice was quadrupled Most new bikes had the standard Jap tyres taken off "before" they left the dealers The Nylon tyres were great in Japan where they enjoy better weather generally and rarely if ever ride in the rain Or in coutries where there was NO tarmac and tread milage was more important than adhesion Just an "observation" from a very cloudy memory

Update Reply
Emzed @ 25/06/2012 12:38  

Jinx, yes I forgot Bridgestone used to be a byword for "dodgy" too.
That word, "YOKOHAMA" still strikes fear into my heart though!

Put roadrunners on my RD350B and it was a,different bike!. Had those on when I came off it in the rain, one night, too

Update Reply
clarkee @ 25/06/2012 14:40  

No problem with folks who only ride in the dry , it means there is allways a good supply of clean ,low mileage used bikes available

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2012 19:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email