MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Wet Weather Biking ?

Wet Weather Biking ? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Wet Weather Biking ? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Wet Weather Biking ?

I drive my wee bike in all weathers, rain, snow etc it doesn't bother me. I have no choice, it is my only form of transport and I intend keeping it that way
Only thing Im dodgy about is when it is very windy, it is the only form of weather that truly worries me....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2012 20:24  

I'm with you there Lulu, bikes (motorised and pedal) have been my only forms of transport for 30 odd years and both get ridden in ALL weathers but I still shudder at the memory of riding my BMW across the Yorkshire Moors on Xmas day last year in winds that threatened to send us both hangliding at any moment!

Update Reply
centurion @ 25/06/2012 20:49  

Each to their own but personally I enjoy riding in the rain, there's something very enjoyable and therapeutic about splashing around............unless you do a tank slapper and nearly take out your riding buddies!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2012 20:50  

Centurion, I haven't had the 'pleasure' of driving on the MWays yet as Im still on L Plates so am dreading the crosswinds there, but I drive on the Dual Carriageways daily and it spooks me no end when it gets windy, the times I have nearly been blown into either the verges or the traffic beside me are unbelievable.
Ive driven in snow and ice and that to me is easy compared to high winds

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/06/2012 21:00  

The Xmas day expidition across the Moors was just on a 'fast' (but not that day) A road, but yeah, motorways are another experience in high winds but at least you have 3 or 4 lanes to weave across!

Update Reply
centurion @ 25/06/2012 21:10  

lulu ,it's not just small bikes,the tiger 900 and me were using 1 1/2 lanes of the A1 heading south after farmyard rally,it weighs a ton but is 7ft tall and a great sail....still passed every bike i saw though,you get used to leaning out one side.....

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 26/06/2012 13:12  

Oo-er sounds scary Jinx....I would imagine it takes some bloody strength to hold the bike steady too, as I know it kills me with me wee 125!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2012 13:16  

all the weight lifting i do helps,full circuit of pints to warm up, then onto bench pressing double j.d's for an hour(no ice though,so not that impressive)....................hahahahahahahahaahha

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 26/06/2012 13:23  

LOL Jinx x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2012 13:24  

Another plus for riding in high winds is, while you're leaning over due to the gale, you're probably making your tyre wear more even, by using the side treads. If you wanted to be really OCD about it, you could ride back, the same way, before the wind changes

Update Reply
clarkee @ 26/06/2012 17:08  

i came home yesterday in between downpours got to the roundabout at end of my estate and the road was flooded and about a quarter of the way up the bike and flowing like a river.i took my baby through it legs in the air laughing and sqealing like a 5 yr old it was just amazing pmsl
you cannot beat the fun you can have on a bike
if your a biker its in your heart,soul and blood and the weather be damnd

Update Reply
zzrbabe42 @ 29/06/2012 07:50  

Weather has been something else recently, just been for new tyres this morning. Nice! on top of mud, slime and gravel on the way back!

Update Reply
jimbiker12345 @ 29/06/2012 13:21  

Lulu.. thank you so much!!!!! I got upset last Saturday on my first ride on my bike because I got so scared because of the high winds I had to stop... I had even managed to get my wee bike up to 46ish.. after two hours of trying and messing about at 25mph.. head out on the stretch home through open fields and whoooomph.. she wanted to be on the opposite side of the road... I was nearly in tears lmao.. I considered getting David to go and get the car I was so upset at myself... But seems.. I shouldn't have been! We are our own worst critic eh?! Mind.. I shan't do high wind again for a while.. will practice in rain if I have too.. but no windy days.. too many cliffs on my little route

Update Reply
rockchickeelicious @ 29/06/2012 13:46  

Lulu the heavier the bike is when its windy the better - i wouldnt ride your 125 in a cross wind ! fair play to ya.

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 29/06/2012 13:47  

another dose for me this weekend it seems,tall tiger verses the crosswind ....on motorway the worst times.bizzarely,best bike in wind, i got shot of ,཰ guzzi military 500(superalce),so low and heavy no wind affected it !!trade off,crap brakes,dog slow.swings and roundabouts kiddies.........!

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 29/06/2012 23:11  

Debs I only did it twice by accident when I was heading to work and didn't realise how windy it was. Now when it is real bad gales I just get a lift with someone

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/06/2012 01:52  

Riding in th rain saves washing th bike :-)

Update Reply
Roughie @ 30/06/2012 08:58  

Roughie thats what I tell myself when I feel guilty when Im in work,its raining outside and I can't be arsed to walk all the way out to the carpark and put the cover over the bike

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/06/2012 11:28  

Actually I've just thought of a question regarding the bike getting wet which I will put in the tech bit if someone is able to help answer. Thanks

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/06/2012 11:30  

well another weekend where i had to strip off on reaching destination and borrow clothes....................worth it ? oh yes!just a mere 250 wet miles,grinning like an eejit!

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 02/07/2012 17:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email