MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Did you know..........?

Did you know..........? - Forums [Biker Match] Did you know..........? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Did you know..........?

Edited from today's Daily Express ........... well I had to read something whilst in the car wash didn't I!!!!!!

It was recently revealed that BRITISH motorists visiting FRANCE will have to carry a breathalyser in their cars by law from July 1st, but did you know the rule will also apply to ALL motorcycles with engines over 50cc?

This means bikers planning to cross the channel will have to add alcohol - testing kits to already overloaded panniers, carrying among other items - safety triangles, hi - vis vests, and fire extinguishers!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/03/2012 22:05  

...!!!... and yet they keep telling us over here the ones we can buy aint worth it coz they aint accurate (not that i would buy one!).... so if get stopped in france can just say well me breathaliser says im ok..... as well as it being stupid anyhow... does it mean if you break down so long as you are carrying a breathaliser all is ok....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/03/2012 22:09  

So you have a beer or two, and then u use your breathalizer to check if ur over the limit. good o - yr not But then u can't drive 'cos u ain't got a breathalizer anymore...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/03/2012 22:23  

hull rotterdam anyone??

Update Reply
Ho4701 @ 14/03/2012 22:29  

All these new laws and regs for riding in europe, FFS need a huge bike with tow bar and a huge trailer on back just to carry all the shite!!!!

Update Reply
wenders @ 14/03/2012 23:15  

Hang on a minute, aren't we supposed to be in something called the European Union? Therefore, why is France allowed to make up their own rules?

I guess there's a simple solution, don't travel to or through France.

Update Reply
james-newbiker @ 14/03/2012 23:20  

I guess there's a simple solution, don't travel to or through France. Me thinks that is their intention! to make Brits stay away. Is this a racist issue? LOL

Update Reply
Sandi @ 15/03/2012 00:42  

I have just had a look on the AA travelling abroad web site, its one Ian uses a lot whenever we travel on the bikes.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compu...ipment.pdf

Thats a PDF that not only covers France but also other countries & covers what MUST be carried with you when travelling, it is one of the few lists that gives you both what must be carried in a car AND on a bike

Looking on it (cos we were not aware of a couple of things) good news for you Betty ... fire extinguishers & warning triangles are not needed for 2 wheeled vehicles in France

As for the breathalysers, they have to be of a certain type too ....

New regulation – Breathalysers – effective 1 July 2012, sanctioned 1 Nov 2012

As of the 1 July 2012 it will be compulsory for drivers of all motor vehicles including motorcyclists, excluding mopeds to carry a breathalyser in their vehicle while travelling in France. This will not be enforced until the 1st November 2012, where persons failing to produce a breathalyser will receive a fine on the spot of €11.

The breathalyser has to be a certified by the French authorities, showing an ‘NF’ number.

They do also recommend you carry 2 not 1, so that if you have to use one you are still legal and have an unused one to produce

Also if you are using one that you bought last year, check it is still in date, as they usually only have a 1 year valid until date (something to also check when you purchase it)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2012 08:10  

Thank you Shell - will check on that if I bother to go abroad again.

But seriously - for holy heck's sake!

the silly buggers

@ ho4701 make mine a pint of Amstel

Update Reply
Riggy66 @ 15/03/2012 08:50  

Simple don't go to France as it is s..t anyway,

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 15/03/2012 09:56  

Have to agree with Sumo

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/03/2012 10:26  

Got to disagree, I found it a great place, fantastic places & some great roads & scenery , & people so patient, I was not the most confident of riders when I went, having only passed my test a couple of months before & everyone riders & driver alike was fab, during the 2 weeks I only encountered 1 person who was impatient & that was while I was struggling at a toll booth.

The areas we were in were fantastic & the towns catered above & beyond for bikers & the country side was lovely ....

Just a pity about all the Eurocrats that seem to be having 'good ideas at the time'

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 15/03/2012 11:11  

I agree with you shell, i have driven all over france i find it an amazing country, looking forward to riding through france on route to Aragon, the link for the AA is excellent I have been trying to find the regs for bikes for a while now, now i dont know the cost of these breathalyser kits but is it really that big an issue to carry them....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2012 22:11  

Carrying a breathalizer, doesn't necessarily mean that certain people will not drink and drive. Regarding France as a nice place to go and ride, that may be so, but there are far better and friendlier places to visit, with better scenery and you don't have to ride through France to get to them.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 18/03/2012 07:32  

never said anything about it preventing someone drink driving,people will always drink and drive...human nature unfortunately...I was merely pointing out that I could not see much of an issue...everyones perception of good scenery is different so for someone to make a statement that there is better scenery elsewhere is a bit of a sweeping statement. I have always found the French to be friendly.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/03/2012 12:51  

Every one to their own opinion!

Update Reply
davidneale @ 18/03/2012 14:12  

Stuff France go somewhere else instead.The wife and I used to go a lot before the children were born and they were an awkward bunch in those days. Just read on the news they are trying to run the Olympics now!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/03/2012 17:36  

I think (from my experience) the further south you go the nicer the people over there, I cannot stand Parisians who I experienced to be very rude.

I quite agree tha carrying a breathalyzer is not going to stop people drinking, but I guess its a cost cutting exercise for the French police, they suspect you of drink driving so you use your own to see, saves them having to have machinery that needs checking etc to make sure its calibrated right.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 21/03/2012 03:41  

You hit the nail on the head there Shell. I think the Parisians had an effect on me. I had a new years eve in Paris many a long ago. At midnight we were in a bar and at the strike of the new year me and my friends did what we all normally do. Got up and start hugging and shaking hands. We suddenly realised everyone else in the bar was just sitting there stoney faced. A very cold wierd experience. I am wrongly guitly of taring them all with the same brush. Yes it get better further south.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 21/03/2012 06:16  

Agree with both of you, i was told the first time i was in France back in 84 that ther was two things to avoid in France, that was the paris ring rd and Parisians....so i have maintained one and have never been to Paris, however the ring rd can be a necessary evil at times...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/03/2012 14:54  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email