MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

tailgating drivers

tailgating drivers (2) - Forums [Biker Match] tailgating drivers (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

tailgating drivers

Clocked Mr Plod earlier with a radar gun in his hand, calmly passed him at the speed limit and laughed like hell when Mr BMW shot passed me and was stopped a little further up the road. I gave him a smug grin as I passed him.

Update Reply
Simon66 @ 03/03/2012 02:19  

I think that you will tailgating is already illegal, as has been said the problem is catching the b*st*rds. What also annoys me is when you pull up in traffic (especially when on your bike) and a vehicle pulls up behind you leaving only about 1 foot gap. If that vehicle should be tail ended it's likely that you will be in trouble on the bike. It is as if you and your bike don't exist. Lane discipline on 3 lane carrageways / motorways is another one. How many times do you see the near side lane almost empty and everyone tailgating in the righhand and middle lane, it's really annoying and very dangerous. To see an empty lane in front of you, that you can't effectively use is frustrating. This behavior reduces a three lane carrageway to a one or two lane in reality.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 03/03/2012 07:17  

Waits for the truck drivers think thay own the road coment

Update Reply
JP @ 03/03/2012 10:18  

That one come latter

Update Reply
davidneale @ 03/03/2012 10:22  

I find that if I gently rest the centrestand on the road the car drivers soon back off when they see the sparks flying.

Update Reply
Vladamir @ 03/03/2012 10:39  

brave move with the state of the roads but it will get there attention lol

Update Reply
JP @ 03/03/2012 10:45  

I'm sorry to say but I see a lot of motorcyclists during busy times on motorways tailgating and swerving from lane to lane and I am not talking about low speeds either pissing off a lot drivers who are driving sensibly,then we all get tared with the same brush.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/03/2012 12:07  

I've got a lot of respect for lorry drivers on the whole but I had a horrible experience with a wagon sitting on my tail on the A65. Constant line of traffic moving along at 50, so I had cars in front & there wasn't anywhere to go. I'm a learner so can't overtake out of it but I wasn't holding anybody up any way. The truck driver seemed determined to push me into closing the gap between me and the car in front but I wouldn't. It's so distracting cos you're constantly looking in your mirrors at this huge lump of metal hurtling along at 50, what seems like inches behind you when you should be looking at the road in front... and I would have ended up a pancake if anything happened I felt like Dennis Weaver in that film with the creepy truck!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 03/03/2012 12:27  

Hey Minnie, I had something similar to you when i was a learner. Me and my little Honda CG 125 were tootling along the AI behind a wagon, when another wagon came up really close behind me. As the poor old CG would only do 62 flat out, going downhill with a tailwind, screaming it's head off (50 being it's preferred max speed) I didn't have chance to pull out before a 3rd wagon pulled alongside in the middle lane, effectively blocking me in.

I know it was deliberate cos I could see the one behind me laughing.
They were absolute Tw@ts !!!
I ended up having to go for the hard shoulder, as the faster they went, the harder it was to keep up with them.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/03/2012 12:46  

I drive HGV's for a living and that kind of thing is terrifying drivers like that should never have a license if a vehicle in front broke down the consequences would not bear thinking about

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/03/2012 12:47  

hi Pj.
I don't tar everyone with the same brush, and apart from that incident - and another where a HGV driver rolled my mini car under his wagon after not giving way to me on a roundabout (I was already on it but he obviously thought he could beat me!) , but that's another story - I have absolute respect for all other road users, irrespective of what they're driving/ riding.
The thing is, those wagon drivers could have caused a major pile up, or even killed me, but I think they just saw the L plates and decided to have some fun at my expense.

Luckily I don't scare easily!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/03/2012 12:56  

I'm the same Betty. I drive a lot of motorway miles in my car and I don't diss wagon drivers cos I don't have a problem with them, know many who drive trucks for a living & I will defend them when I hear people mouthing off....but that driver that day was working real hard at intimidating me. Assuming he's been through the HGV training he knew exactly what he was doing & he was doing it on purpose for amusement (T**T)

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 04/03/2012 20:13  

I'm looking forward to a few weeks time when most of the idiots are just a blip on my radar, like they are in the car. But atm I'm noticing a lot of tailgating going on, no wonder bikers are known for razzing off breaking the speed limits, it's safer than having some ass in a mondeo or bmw sat on their tail light (on my way out today one of each). And yeah, I fluffed my gears at a junction in Shawbirch but what's to say, Mr. Astra, that I hadn't broken down - bikes don't have hazards numbnut. Hope one of your grandkids gets on two wheels one day and you have a little re-think about abusing someone just because they're in bike gear and have cost you a whole 30 seconds of your life that you won't get back.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/03/2012 20:26  

I thought it was only me that found this bloody annoying, its somthing I'v come accross the past few months since moving up here. getting much worse in the winter darker days. T All winter iv had idiots following me home only meters from my back wheel, I carnt see F all even worse in the rain as the new super bright bulbs they have fitted, as they leave me sat in a pool of light blind as a bat to anything outside of that pool. I thought they all had full beams on when I first got up here. Its not like they have a hope in hell of keeping up if I wanted to lose them but I dont like to push it in the winter I am new to the roads and bends so have been keeping to the 50Mph speed limmit. the few times someone has passed me they dont go any faster infact most the cars along the ashborne road crawl along at 35 to 40 so its not a speed thing. But its been doing my head in I have big puples and keep my smoke visor on all year round anyway but this is just annoying and really really dangrus. never used to happen down south in milton keynes

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 04/03/2012 21:17  

Know the roads around Ashbourne cavy....they are similar to the roads round here in Cumbria....very very dark outside the towns when the streetlights stop, and it's easy to tailgate with a vehicle (car or bike) in front. But it's altogether different when they go past and there are no red lights for them to follow and they have to use their initiative and read the road. Doesn't half slow em down

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 04/03/2012 21:48  

@looby my bikes fitted with hazard waring lights come as standard...

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 04/03/2012 22:00  

An incorrect generalisation - a world first!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/03/2012 22:36  

Yep you got it Mini Pitch black most the way homeand when there is a car in front I oftern use it as a guide to follow but I dont talegate the poor guy I give him pelnty of room and just watch his rear lights to know ehn he is going round a bend. Maybe im starting to get old or am just grouchy of late been a long winter but it just seems very rude and inconsidarate. Not only carnt I see becuase of there lights but I alwasy have to remmber that there there. I could stop in 1/4 the distance they can in an emergancy but at only a meter or two they would plow stright into the back of me. If memory serves me right the high way code says to pull over let them past lol you would never get anywhere plus there arnt many places to pull over.

Update Reply
cavywavy @ 04/03/2012 23:10  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email