MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Emergency Stop - Help Please!

Emergency Stop - Help Please! (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Emergency Stop - Help Please! (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Emergency Stop - Help Please!

Sorry about putting this on your thread , If you utube tankslapper you'll get the idea...Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 28/02/2012 20:53  

tankslapper / wobble is a form of machine instability.. where the handle bars /steering head oscillate from side to side, high speed tankslappers are er a bit dangerous very rare at low speed more common at medium- high speed a bit scary tho

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 28/02/2012 20:56  

Just from one person who has only a couple of years ago done the MOD1 test ... PLEASE DO NOT USE 2 FINGER BREAKING, I did & was given a fail (dangerous riding) because of it, as I was not considered to have full control of the breaking system. 

Also don't clutch in as soon as your off the throttle, especially if your on a big bike, in the space you have to do an E stop you REALLY DO need the engine breaking to help you come to a controlled stop.

TT whilst I can see what you are saying re the technique you have been taught, what is taught for you to pass your test is totally different, and someone will fail for using advanced techniques, such as 2 finger breaking or advanced road positioning to see your vanishing point easier, something I was pulled up for doing when I took my on road test.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 28/02/2012 20:58  

Thanks Shell, I really need to pass on the next test so will be doing it by the book, I need to know how to do e-stops not just to pass the test but to help me stay safe afterwards too, that's priority really as I have my girl to think about.
As for the tank slap, well I'd do more than slap the tank if I ran out of petrol! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 21:16  

TT,read your post and I have never read such crap in all my years of motorcycling,are you sure you can ride or have you been dreaming.
" Wait for the weight transfer (forks will dip then come back up)."WAIT,wait for what it's a bloody emergency! The forks won't come up , as long as the brake is applied the front stays down!
We are talking milliseconds to react not minuets as it is in your description to pull it all together.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 21:27  

Shell,your examiner should inform the racing fraternity that none of them are in control of their machines.
One finger,Two, the whole hand it's what you are are comfortable with,if you are comfortable then you should be in complete control and be ready for any event that should come your way .What if you only have 2 fingers and a thumb,what then?
Personally I use 2 fingers then I can blip the throttle at the same time and still have a grip on the bars.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 21:45  

Some people hand out advice from a book and some people hand out advice from life. If the advice is about how to boil an egg. Why not try both pieces of advice. If the advice could make the difference between whether you live or die, choose life...Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 28/02/2012 22:24  

Add my 10p worth now..........

Totally agree with Ragnor's way, and my instructor said same as Ragnor, and he was police advanced riding instructor, just use front brake (if dry) and hover right foot over back brake for eyes of examiner!!!!

Hardly ever use my back brake, only as hand brake on hill starts and sometimes if very very wet!!!!!!

Back brake will almost never lock if no pressure applied and clutch isnt brought in too sharply........

Good luck Hello There :)

Update Reply
wenders @ 28/02/2012 22:44  

going with what ragnor says - right back to the start - count it through as you do it (and count it through when you are being watchied by instructor/examiner)
if you are doing it faster than you can count then you are panicking and likely to mess it up. The most inportant thing to do is get off the throttle, which is number 1. if you are already going for the brakes on 1 then you are rushing. So the count not only gets it in the right order, but allows you to keep the bike stable while you carry out the rest of the manoevure.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 23:05  

We're back into that subject of learning to pass your test versus learning to ride a bike!

My advice 'Hello There' is consider what Ragnar has to say for passing your test ...

But then once you have passed your test practice doing emergency stops as explained by 'TriumphTigress', because despite what others have said, I agree with her basic principles! (Don't know about forks coming back up etc, but generally, she's correct.)

I always say; learn to pass your test, then learn to ride a bike! Because unfortunately in many ways the two elements are very different.

Take two finger braking for example; for your test you have to use four fingers. Partly to avoid running out of brake lever travel by it coming back to your other two fingers and partly to ensure you have maximum braking power if required.

In reality though both are total poppy-cock! Quite simply because, presuming your brakes are working well, the limiting factor of your braking is always going to be the grip of the tyre and you will exceed this long before needing two more fingers or because pulling the lever back near the bar.

Also, the idea of needing the rear brake on any modern bike during an emergency stop situation is a little misguided. It may be true of a bike from the late 1960s or similar (which is of course when a lot of the requirements for the test were designed), but a modern bike will lift the rear wheel before running out of front brake. By lift I don't necessarily mean the rear wheel will actually leave the ground, although it could well do, but rather all the weight will be transferred off it.

And with no weight on the rear wheel, the last thing you should do is use the back brake because it will instantly lock and you will lose control. Best to let it keep spinning to take advantage of the gyroscopic forces for stability.

As I said above. Learn to pass your test and then learn to ride a bike. Hope I haven't confused you and good luck.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 28/02/2012 23:48  

@TT, Don't take this as being because you're a girl, coz my mother can probably ride better than anyone on this forum. She been riding since she was 16 and in the fast group on track days will lap litre bikes on a 400cc gularm (Hurricane). She taught me a small amount of what I know, the rest came from advance instructors, police instructors, racers, stunters..etc.I was going to make this long winded, but can't be arsed. Anyone wants the long winded version giving explanation from point to point of why it was bad advice, please PM me. TT...I'm honestly appalled at the "advice" you've given (are you trying to kill people??) and I'm more appalled at the fact this is supposed to have come from advanced riding instructors (are they trying to kill people?). But what I find most appalling is how quickly you play the sexism card, t'was more than a bit petty and didn't put you in a good light. Trying to bring ridicule on someone as a means of defending yourself (like playing the sexism card when it was obviously nothing to do with gender) in a debate doesn't prove your point, it just proves you don't have a point.

Update Reply
SomeRandomBiker @ 28/02/2012 23:55  

Cheers GeoffB2005.

..... and I guess you are right in that the techniques needed to pass your test are somewhat different that those taught during advanced training. I'm not familiar with the current test requirements so apologies to "Hello there" for any confusion I may have caused.

Update Reply
TriumphTigress @ 29/02/2012 04:49  

@ Ragnor

Point taken. (see above)

Still smiling

Update Reply
TriumphTigress @ 29/02/2012 04:58  

@ Magneto

I wasn't trying to ridicule you Magneto, I just took the less offensive option for an explanation of why you would dismiss my input without decent consideration and a factually correct counter argument.

Others have hit the nail on the head here - advance techniques have no place in the basic test system - I accept that and I have offered apologies to the lady concerned for the confusion.

If anyone wants an explanation, lessons in gyroscopic physics and practical experience of why my input is good advice (post test) then sign up for the MC1 & MC3 training courses and take it from the experts

xx

Update Reply
TriumphTigress @ 29/02/2012 05:29  

It's nice to see everyone is now on track to getting Hello There on the road It's best not to worry about these tank slapper thingy's as yet. I have to admit I had not heard the expression before. Now having seen some on Youtube, I realise that we used to call it a speed wobble. Hello There just try to relax and keep practising, good luck you can do it

Update Reply
davidneale @ 29/02/2012 07:14  

Has David says everyone is now back on track, So good luck to Hello There and anyone else about to take their test.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 29/02/2012 07:48  

Indeed

Good luck Hello there, and everyone else.

x

Update Reply
TriumphTigress @ 29/02/2012 08:47  

we seem to be forgetting that there are situations where using the front brake can be a bit unwise... bikes have got two brakes and i use them both not always at the same time not always together, eg slow town riding in traffic the back brake is used..sometimes while cornering the back brake is used. if the front brake is used when performing a u turn the bike will fall over end of, if the front brake alone is used on slippery road surface youll lose grip eg loose gravel wet leaves etc the sensitivity that is used on the brakes is down to your own experience and judgement.. however , i certainly would never write the back brake off as every body here seems to be doing, finesse... finesse ride safe kevkool

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 29/02/2012 09:30  

yes your right.. the braking forces causes the weight to shift to the front.. and the accelleration forces causes a shift to the rear and ne,re the twain shall meet. but defo avoid using the front brake when: when Banked over when turning on loose slippery surfaces kk Ride Safe People#

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 29/02/2012 10:37  

yes your right.. the braking forces causes the weight to shift to the front.. and the accelleration forces causes a shift to the rear and ne,re the twain shall meet. but defo avoid using the front brake when: when Banked over when turning on loose slippery surfaces kk Ride Safe People#

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 29/02/2012 10:37  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email