MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Emergency Stop - Help Please!

Emergency Stop - Help Please! (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Emergency Stop - Help Please! (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Emergency Stop - Help Please!

If you're a car driver you may have your foot to far forward and in doing so you would be using the ball of your foot, when you will get more feeling by just using your big toe. If you start pulling the clutch in to early, have a few goes at stopping without pulling the clutch in. If you do stall the bike on the E-Stop on the test, just pull the clutch in and press the start button, some examiners will give you a minor mark for stalling and some don't because you've used full engine braking, but don't take to long to get the lever in.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 27/02/2012 21:52  

Good luck in your test,try and get as much practice as possible somewhere quiet. Use a marker ,lamppost or something to start the braking from, don't snatch at the lever, gently at first then progressively harder , mark the spot where you stop so that you can see the improvement. Remember the front does the stopping the back brake is there to steady the bike and try not to lock you're arms straight keep the elbows slightly bent you will have more control.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 00:52  

You poor soul, you are going to get so much conflicting advice your head is going to spin.

Here's my offering - as taught by the i-2-i Motorcycle academy... no possibility of lock up if done properly and works in the wet.

I grip the tank with your knees ......tight, and then a bit tighter, then tighter still...

Close throttle and pull in clutch simultaneously
Using 2 fingers only apply front brake.
Wait for the weight transfer (forks will dip then come back up). Then continue to squeeze progressively harder until you come to a stop. (referring back to the gripping the tank thing, this will ensure that your weight is not transferred onto the bars when the front end dips, this is the most common cause of losing the front end when braking hard/in slippy conditions).
Stay off the back brake - it is not needed and gyroscopic force of the back wheel will help keep you stable during the process
Good luck with the test

TT.x

Update Reply
TriumphTigress @ 28/02/2012 05:10  

Actually, gyro of back wheel does fk all for stability in emergency braking situations. Very gentle trail on back brake does a lot for stability, especially if your front tyre is squealing and near to locking up over rubble/potholed surfaces. Reason: Gentle application of back brake means some of the weight transfers from the front wheel to the back wheel, where in a braking situation weight naturally falls forward onto the front wheel (which is why front brake has most stopping power). Putting weight on the front wheel on poor surfaces will destabilise the bike and cause it to twitch as the more weight you put on the front wheel, the more it can affect handling. This is also why if you get a tank slap you should open the throttle and accelerate out of it. If you brake in a tank slap you'll likely crash as the extra weight on the front further destabilises the bike. If you accelerate out of a tank slap you put weight on your back wheel, decreasing the front ability to destabilise the bike and can bring the bike under control again. I'll also add that most bikes do not have the correct set-up for two finger braking.

Update Reply
SomeRandomBiker @ 28/02/2012 13:23  

Absolutely Magneto il will remember that explanation mate pucka .......

Update Reply
northlondon58 @ 28/02/2012 13:29  

Oh...and in an emergency stop you should NOT be pulling in the clutch and closing the throttle simultaneously, doing this would stop any benefit from engine braking and an emergency stop is to stop the bike as quickly and safely as possible. This means leave the clutch alone until you're about to stop to get full effect of engine braking. Emergency stop as taught by i-2-i doesn't lock up and "works" in the wet...but it's not an emergency stop, it's standard braking procedure.Most common cause of losing front end when braking hard/in slippy conditions is grabbing the brake too quickly for that first millisecond. If you don't grab too much brake in the first instance then it's near to bloody impossible to lock up the front wheel (believe me, I've tried so many times...and succeeded a few...and didn't crash on any of them). Sorry if I sound like a twat in the above comments, but feel very strongly that if advice is going to be given it should be correct. In light of that, if I've said something which is complete bollocks feel free to call me up on it, but think you'll find I got my facts straight. :)

Update Reply
SomeRandomBiker @ 28/02/2012 13:48  

I dont ride yet but I just wanted to say good luck for next time and keep at it - Im sure it will all come together for you after all the excellent advice you have been given by fellow BMers. Take care and stay safe.

Shaz x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 14:13  

Well put Magneto I couldn't have put it better myself. I think TT might have misunderstood what was being said which is easy with all the information that would have been being given on DSA training. If a instructor did give that brief on E-Stops, they deserve to have their card pulled.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 28/02/2012 18:12  

There's no misunderstanding Ragnar, and I would appreciate you not making assumptions about how and when I passed my test. The DAS was just a twinkle in the DoT's eye when I gained my licence. Since then I have regularly engaged in Advanced Rider training.

The technique above was imparted by the guys who train the police trainers.... I guess you can't get more qualified than that. However, I can understand that you might not wish to have your world truths shaken by a girl...... You can hear it from a boy of you prefer

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/archive/index.php?t-93811.html

BTW for future reference, the best way to deal with a tank slapper is to simply let go of the bars and let the bike deal with it itself!

Update Reply
TriumphTigress @ 28/02/2012 18:52  

oh dear here we go again WW3 lol

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 28/02/2012 19:00  

Should i ACTIVATE SIRENS kevkool

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 28/02/2012 19:07  

We have already had one topic locked today. I did my training with Ragnar and ended up with a licence so I can say no more than that

Update Reply
davidneale @ 28/02/2012 19:51  

hi dee depends if you mean a medium speed wobble or a high speed woble or in my case a midlife wobble, a high speed wobble well you betta like hospital food, a medium speed wobble .. take firm grip of the bars and take the machine out of its unstable range... im no expert only eva xperienced medium speed wobble,, still a bit scary

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 28/02/2012 19:54  

I don't like the sound of these wobbles. I think I will stick with my low speed wobble, which is usually walking from the bedroom to the bathroom in the morning

Update Reply
davidneale @ 28/02/2012 19:59  

same as tank slappers mate

Update Reply
spaceboy4 @ 28/02/2012 20:08  

Yeah , a huge amount of advice there , but no doubt it's not much use to you coz you will have heard it all before .
As Albert Einstein once said''doing the same thing over and over again and expesting different results leads to insanity'' As you will already have noticed riding slowly[5mph] is a hell of a lot more difficult than riding quickly[ not talking about getting your knee down here, just bombing along , 60mph] . Brakeing from 10mph to a dead stop is a lot more difficult than brakeing from 60mph down to 20mph. So, you already know what I'm going to say , dont you . A nice straight clean piece of road , out of town on a dry day , minimum traffic. Ride up and down your chosen road a couple of times , checking for land mines etc. Then it's 60,,, brake firmly[ dont go nuts] down to 20, brakes off clutch in down a couple of gears , accelerate to 60 etcetera etcetera. Modern road tyres have the same amount of grip that racetyres had 10 years ago. Once you're happy with this exercise and you realise how amazingly quickly that 'little ol you' can wipe the speed off a bike. Start practising for ''the stop'' In all honesty, if you have the coordination to eat with a knife and fork, without putting your dinner in your ear . Then you're more than capable of riding a bike. Some times overthinking a problem just makes things worse. Now then , summer is on the way and we have all that lovely warm rain to look forward to. Stop pi**ing about thinking too much and go and show that examiner how to ride a motorcycle...Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 28/02/2012 20:12  

@ TT You made one big misuderstanding about my world truths being skaken by a girl. I was married for ten years, so I don't have any world truths left in me. I've looked on 1-2-1 website and noted they do advanced training and it looks like they deal mainly with off road riding (dirt and track) and advanced road riding. Advanced riding skills are not needed on the motorcycle test, because the test candidate only have be meet a safe standard. Keep smiling x

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 28/02/2012 20:14  

Er can I ask what a tank slap is?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2012 20:47  

Tank slapper Some wonderful theories there , the reality is a bit different. I've only had one , gpz750. Me and my second wife on the back . Slightly over the speed limit . When my front wheel hit one of those wonderful road repairs that the gasboard were famous for. The violence of a true tank slapper is unbelievable, it snapped off the lockstop. It only lasted a couple of seconds . Then miraculesly the bike stabalized. I dont know if helped or not. I doknow that with my wife hanging on to me . If I'd let go the bars , we would have both been down the road. The next day I couldn't get out of bed . My upper arms and chest were black from all the internal bleeding. I had torn so many muscles that I was off work for a month. My ex wife was pretty sore too. but unfortunately she was the only one of us with working arms and had to wipe my ar*e. I don't think that contributed to our divorce but lets face it , it can't have helped...Dusty...

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 28/02/2012 20:50  

Best left to one of the more technical people. My version is, it's what I do if I run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere Sorry for jesting, when I know you want to be serious.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 28/02/2012 20:51  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email