MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Morocco

Morocco - Forums [Biker Match] Morocco - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Morocco

Not sure if this is the right forum but can't find a better one Does anyone know much about biking in Morocco as I'm getting mixed reports regarding the state of the roads, whether it's best to take a traily or road bike. Also the ferries from Spain do seem to be problematic and very expensive. Anyone been? and can supply an up to date report Thanks Jan

Update Reply
kevinsmum @ 01/02/2012 21:33  

Take a look at adventure bike rider this month - big article on morocco riding in particular.

There are also a number of tour companies, including those who operate with motor cycle sport & leisure (see latest issue of this as well), who run tours picking up the bikes in southern Spain before crossing by ferry. My best guess is (also based on personal knowledge - my wife is Spanish) that they would not do this if there were regular issues. The ferries from Algericas for example, are equivalent to our channel ferries for African traffic.

Update Reply
Pharaoh @ 01/02/2012 23:35  

Thanks Pharaoh Will check those out. Also found a helpful site ukgser.com. It's just the price of the ferries seems outrageous - £150 for a bike or £300+ one way if I opt to take the camper for a 1hr sailing!!! Also - if anyone reading this may be interested in taking a trip I'm probably going early next month and will drive down through France and Spain. There's room in my wagon for 1 extra bike

Update Reply
kevinsmum @ 02/02/2012 10:05  

Oooo k-mum, This all sound soo exciting, at another time in my life I could have joined you. Have a wonderful trip, please post on here if you can, I love advenure and travel stories x

Update Reply
missme @ 07/02/2012 09:27  

would of loved to do this trip with you but not a good time for me right now

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 07/02/2012 18:46  

Same your going so early in the year. Myself and a few friends are looking at riding to the Spanish/French boarder at the end of September.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/02/2012 19:48  

I overlanded to Morocco years and years back...a lot can have changed since then, but the road surfaces were pretty good as far as I can remember.
We got as far as Marrakesh and the northern fringe of the Sahara south of the Atlas - a wonderful place.

Hope it goes well for you, and keep us up to date.

Update Reply
Wills @ 07/02/2012 23:00  

i'd like to ride through the Atlas Mountains

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 07/02/2012 23:05  

I've just had a look at this site
http://www.directferries.co.uk/ and it's coming up with about 105 Euros return for a bike and rider for late Feb, Algeceiras-Ceuta, or just under 80 Euros Algeceiras-Tangier return.

Update Reply
Wills @ 07/02/2012 23:08  

Thanks for that Wills. That's a lot more reasonable than the prices I was finding Might be worth taking kevin to sleep in Jan

Update Reply
kevinsmum @ 09/02/2012 22:18  

I'm running a ride to Morocco in early September.
It depends where you are going to what bike you need the roads are good down the coast to casa Blanca so road bike will be good.
If you are going into the mountains then you will need an of road bike.
You will also need health insurance and most UK insurance companies won't insure you you can buy insurance when you get off the ferry in Morocco it's about 90 quid a month if I remember correctly

Update Reply
sunseaandfun @ 23/09/2019 15:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email