MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

MAG uk

MAG uk (4) - Forums [Biker Match] MAG uk (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

MAG uk

I have joined MAG and will do whatever I can ( limited as I don't myself ride ( I'm a co-pilot ) but I can sign petitions and email ' muppets ' and any protest rides I am able to support I will ( the September one was awesome

Update Reply
anneka56 @ 28/04/2012 23:14  

cheeers all , if you attend the "farmyard rally" you are activly helping M.A.G , there will people going round inviting you to join and help the fight against Europe {im told there are only 5 paid Employees , the rest are all volunteers , unlike some companies i could mention} so all money raised goes towards the fight of the common people, 25th Sept 2011 - Action Now! EU Hands Off Biking MAG's National Committee has voted for another day of action to remind those MEPs who aren't bothering to engage, that Riders Are Voters and that politicians are elected to represent our will, and should not impose theirs upon us.- There is no evidence to support plans to curtail modifications..We want to retain the right to modify our bikes- We want the right to choose ABS- And while not part of this Type Approval Regulation, the EU Parliament has written to the EU Commission to ask that they propose 'warning jackets' for all.- Again there is no definitive evidence for compulsory Hi-viz clothing, but there is plenty of evidence that teaching other road users to look can reduce casualties.- We want the right to choose what we wear, hi-viz or not.Our day of action will be June 24th 2012 and I hope you'll join one of our rides. This time there will be 12 massive demos, one in each of the 12 EU Parliamentary constituencies.Start time will be 13.00hours, just like September 25th was last year.The actual start points are being finalised and we'll let you know as soon as they are, but the sheer size of the expected turnout means that we are in the process of securing suitable sites and are in discussion with Highways Authorities and Police forces.

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 06/05/2012 12:34  

nice one MAd Mic ...il defo be doing this one *********** Our day of action will be June 24th 2012 and I hope you'll join one of our rides. This time there will be 12 massive demos, one in each of the 12 EU Parliamentary constituencies.Start time will be 13.00hours, just like September 25th was last year.The actual start points are being finalised and we'll let you know as soon as they are, but the sheer size of the expected turnout means that we are in the process of securing suitable sites and are in discussion with Highways Authorities and Police forces.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/05/2012 19:58  

Compared to main land Europe we are an apathetic lot in this country. We'll complain when we lose the rights but for the most part do nothing to prevent it.

I will of course be out for this one as well but I personally would like to see a more disruptive demo rather than the short protests. A couple of hours on a motorway on a Sunday just doesn’t get the media coverage this topic deserves.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 07/05/2012 08:58  

on the last demo it showed what the public thougth when a car was trying to squeeze between two bikes at the front;
the car was trying to drive between two lanes and weaving from side to side trying to get the bike out of the way....... says it all really the dangerous idiot... for 20 mins of her/his life the car driver was unable to support someone elses right to protest...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/05/2012 22:53  

----- Original Message ----- From: Paddy Tyson To: mag-uk-activists-...org ; RAV-list@mag-uk.o...org Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 11:50 AM Subject: [mag-uk-activists-list] June 24th only about 6 weeks away If you are a facebook user you may be delighted to know that the facebook page for 24th June Demo is up and running. Please 'like' it!http://tinyurl.com/MAGEUHAN...>It will contain loads of info about the day as it continues to develop as a page- where start points are for you nearest demo, if smaller feeder runs are being organised so that you can ride to the start point with others if it's a good distance whether or not food and refreshments will be available whether the run nearest to you has a definite end point or riders should just disperse etc info sheets about what the day is for and how a demo fits in with other campaigning suggested local press releases and other handy info which will be added as we approach the day.
If you aren't a facebooker, you can still view the start map here http://tinyurl.com/MAG24JUN...>

and if you bookmark the map address, you'll be able to see the start and finish point details on the left as everything is finalised.

Finally, click here https://www.facebook.com/pa...> if you want to view one of the info sheets as a non-facebook user.
-- Paddy Tyson Campaigns Coordinator Motorcycle Action Group www.mag-uk.org 01926 844064

_______________________________________________mag-uk-activists-list mailing listmag-uk-activists-list@mag-uk.orghttp://mailman.mag-uk.org/mailman/listinfo/mag-uk-activists-list

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 14/05/2012 21:29  

With the greatest respect to all in involved and all organisers - What the hell is the point of doing it on a Sunday, at a time when there are minimal cars on the roads.

If this is to have ANY impact at all it needs to be done on a Monday or a Friday, at rush hour - preferably in the Monday morning rush hour.

Otherwise you might as well whisper into a well at midnight for all the good it will do.

I doubt the press will even notice.

Update Reply
daveg208 @ 06/06/2012 15:30  

Sorry Dave, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this If you had seen the "backlash" from ignorant British Parliamentarians you might not have such a pessimistic perspective After the last major "Demo" we were ALL branded SELFISH "Our" aim (as a LIFE member I think I'm entitled to use that epithet) I contend that it is not our intention to disrupt the vast majority of ordinary citizens going about their "lawful daily business" Rather to demonstrate to the "powers that be" that we are a "force to be reckoned with" We have better support in Parliament now than we ever have, both in the Commons and always and ever increasingly in the LORDS (which the current crop are determined to abolish) By choosing a Sunday it "kills 2 birds with 1 stone" 1 ... more RIDERS are available to take part 2 ... minimal disruption to everyday drivers, commercial & private As a "Lifer" I have few if any advantages over the vast "rank & file"membership (I joined in the early days when helmet compulsion was first mooted, I think it was a £1, then sadly lapsed for a few years, then in the early 90's MAG were struggling for a "fighting fund" and I saddled myself with a credit card debt to pay the Life mem fee) When I now attend a MAG rally, I make a point of paying on the gate This is my "ongoing contribution" to MAG coffers (the only exception is the Yorkshire Pudding Rally which is ticket only and usually a SELL OUT) As pointed out earlier, it is not our intention to p**s off the general public, who's support we badly need Although in principal I have sympathy with your argument, I nevertheless think the overall result would be counter productive But thanks for taking the time to at least contribute to the debate As Gloom says we tend to be a rather apathetic lot at the best of times (Brits) so any involvement however minor and self gratifying (Rallies) are to be welcomed and encouraged OK rant over LOL Em

Update Reply
Emzed @ 06/06/2012 16:55  

i understand your point - but imo its still futile

but this protest will not be noticed or acted upon.
the press will ignore it as will parliment
A "ride in" to London in a morning rush hour keeping strictly to speedlimits would have a far bigger impact

And there s no such thing as bad publicity.

Update Reply
daveg208 @ 06/06/2012 17:36  

You know Dave, instinctively I want to agree with you Your argument is similar to one that I promulgated years ago However, since then I have been persuaded that the "Mass Maximum Disruption Tactic" would create more problems for us than we want or need Mainly due to the ability of the "authorities" to "restrict our activities" using the current notification of events legislation and trying to stay within the law Mass "civil disobedience" is a tactic we may have to resort to in order to make our point with some tangible and immediate impact Last year's ride did get a fair amount of media coverage but nowhere near the amount it should have done To be fair it DID make an impression on some parliamentarians who have now taken up some of the issues with the European Commission who appear to have ignored their OWN guidelines on drafting legislation The current "modus operandi" is now much nearer to MY original proposal, by employing several locations I proposed that we had a "local" Day of Action "Nationwide" Where bikers/motorcyclists and commuters* *(there are lots of these who only ride a few miles a day) Could meet in their own "home town" or village on a given day at any time throughout the day It would only require 1 or 2 dedicated individuals to set up the meeting point and so that there would be a steady stream of "protesters" throughout the day It would at the very least stimulate the locals to inquire as to "why all the bikes are here" With a little prodding or nudging "local" media could be "invited" to witness the event This would have a far greater national impact if there were reports of lots of bikers "congregating" in varying numbers up and down the country on the same day It would be very difficult to suppress reports or "massage" the figures as they are prone to do at "mass demos" in 1 location Apathy IS the biggest killer of any anti - establishment movement Perhaps we can take a leaf from the book of the "Arab Spring" activists ? Start to employ more modern and "spontaneous" activities using the now available social networking tools and "smart phones" ? It would prove much harder to control or suppress a mass DAY OF ACTION on a NATIONAL scale. Instead of sticking to the "rules" and notifying them of our proposed intentions and agreeing routes etc. which they can police and control On the whole I'm far from satisfied that we are doing all we can and should do to protect our freedom of choice to ride what we want, when and where we want Would you like to be banned from going to a particular place on your bike, if it did not conform to some bureaucrat's idea of what constitutes a "safe" motorcycle ?

Update Reply
Emzed @ 08/06/2012 00:35  

I would settle for equality with cars !
The only reaso they're not hitting cars with the same stick is they know that the protests would blow the lid of europe.
We are an easy target and always will be.
What have our representational organisations achieved in the last twenty years using their current tactics ?
I havent been able to find a list, perhaps someone could help he out there ?
essentialy they can and will do what they want to us,we are a soft touch and we always lie down quietly and accept what they say, they don'tthink our numbers are enough to concern themselves with, and our organisations are a joke- sorry emzed , but it's true .

Update Reply
daveg208 @ 08/06/2012 11:56  

If it weren't for the "joke" organizations YOU wouldn't be riding a bike AT ALL today Like the people who are quite happy to accept all the benefits and rights that have been hard won by trade union movements over the years Yet refuse to JOIN a union on the grounds of "freedom of choice" Come off it Dave, with people like you around it's little wonder we struggle to get our point across

Update Reply
Emzed @ 08/06/2012 12:38  

I think we should all do what we can for something we believe in. Whether that be riding in a protest or writting letters/emails. Surely it is better to something rather than nothing at all. If nothing is acheived then at least we tried.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 08/06/2012 13:02  

Thanks David for your POSITIVE input on this VITAL matter

Update Reply
Emzed @ 08/06/2012 13:17  

I don't want to start a war or a slanging match here, but I believe passionately in biking, and I get really frustrated reading about MAG and BMF representatives telling us that this type conformity isn't really a bad thing and might not really affect us too much because the whole thing hasn't really been properly formulated yet !

Isn't that the whole POINT !!

They are voting shortly on issues that will affect every single one of us and nobody knows what they are voting for !
Being MEP's - they probably don't care either, as long as there is a good lunch afterwards.

The bureaucrats with which this insanity originated are not telling anyone, (or even allowing anyone to find out), what is involved in the legislation, they are demanding carte blanche to do what they hell they want with no public scrutiny ... and MAG is organising a ride out designed to cause as little impact and inconvenience as possible !.

Perhaps it's a good thing I'm not part of MAG, I'd have picked somebody up and shaken them by now.

Emzed, your devotion to MAG is admirable and to be lauded.
The aims of MAG are superb but the implementation is questionable in my humble opinion.

I understand your reaction to my previous post, and to an extent I agree with you - but we don't have time for quiet tactics, we need to raise awareness quickly and loudly.

I'm not trying to be negative, in fact exactly the opposite, we can do something and we SHOULD do something - is the message I'm screaming at the top of my voice.

If you want to see what a minority can achieve in the face of euro bureaucracy - look to France - not my favourite nation, but they get the job done when they want their own way. Nor do they worry about public backlash. The lorry drivers ? How popular were their actions over the last few years, not very - but they got noticed and things were done.

Taking strong forthright action is never popular with the general public but we seem to be the only group that cares about that - and it doesn't win us any smartie points with anyone, or get us anywhere.

Regards

Dave

Update Reply
daveg208 @ 08/06/2012 16:09  

HI

Having viewed the last few posts, I find myself with a foot in 2 camps;

first, we need the support of the people of this country, we also need the support of the government and MEPs. thus we should not alienate them.

Second, we need to ensure that our law makers are aware of our thoughts and needs, sadly I don't believe that they know we exist or even care. So should I care if I upset them?

Sunday protest, will have limited effect, if we are lucky we may get some media coverage, our MPs and MEPs may notice, but I won't be holding my breath. It will have next to no effect on the EU process.

Will I join the protest on the 24th, you bet I will. Arrange it for 08:30 on a Monday in London and I will be there too (and that our MPs would notice).

So all in all I am edging toward the idea of more disruptive action ( like the french lorry drivers), as I am not getting any sort of feed back that the softly softly approach is effective.

Oh and a member of both the BMF and MAG I be, as I believe we need a voice, be it ever so small.

Just my opinion.

Update Reply
thehairyone @ 08/06/2012 18:51  

I will also be there on the 24th, though I will be preaching heresy and insurrection.

If you can't join 'em - beat 'em !!

Update Reply
daveg208 @ 09/06/2012 01:20  

As a further adjunct to this subject, we don't seem to have it on the 'events' list. Or if we have - I can't find it.
Should we perhaps add it - since hopefully a lot of members, (both riders and non-riders), will want to come ?

Just a thought.

Update Reply
daveg208 @ 09/06/2012 10:29  

Quite right Dave Why is it NOT on the calender madmic !! you started this It's been on this thread since *21st Jan* !!! WHY isn't it on the events calender ? AS for your penultimate post I'll join in your heresy and insurrection I've always been a rebel

Update Reply
Emzed @ 09/06/2012 11:21  

We have been waiting for the start points and times for each of the runs. Need to check with MAG on the latest update. Demonstration seems to be 24th June The start points, runs and times are now on MAG site. You choose which run suites.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 09/06/2012 11:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email