MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Feckin cold!

Feckin cold! - Forums [Biker Match] Feckin cold! - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Feckin cold!

Just got back from Rivi , dodging the ice patches on the back way in, but it was feckin freezin !!! So, I've got me thermals (cheap ones sadly !) on, 2 T shirts and a jumper, and me Weiss jacket, Gerricke lined pants, and i was still cold ... no doubt the summer gloves (dork!) didn't help, but it was sunny when I set off ... Whats the best winter riding gear (including gloves!) that you have to keep you toasty on the road ? Need to get something - I'm supposed to be off to Aberystwyth in two weeks and I'll be like a block of ice at this rate ... :) Cheers Chris

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 15/01/2012 17:01  

Start cheap, a buff scarf tube thingy is the best fiver I ever spent. No idea how it works but it makes a huge difference!

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 15/01/2012 21:25  

just checked out what bike you've got, you have a fairing to keep the wind blast of your body but add some thing to keep it off your hands, handlebar muffs or at least adventure bike type hand guards plus heated grips. The other day I rode up to Tan Hill, highest pub in Britian, right up on the moores, in a pair of thin, finger-less gloves and was fine, a combination of the faired mirrors on my BMW keeping the windblast of my hands and heated grips. I used to have a Buell Ulysses with hand guards and it was suprising how much warmer my hands kept just from their protection

Update Reply
centurion @ 16/01/2012 08:01  

yee I agrree cant, wind chill is the major factor and if u can keep that at bay u halfway there. My Lidl thermals work well at £21 the set....heated grips a must for trips over an hour this time of year too. U need keep yer hands warm and working correctly, essential for safe control of bike. Also handy if yer fingers working when u struggling wiv zips fer that urgent pee lol!

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 16/01/2012 09:37  

Maybe you should rub Deep Heat in all over your body before you go out next time Chris!

Update Reply
YZFJohn @ 16/01/2012 09:42  

I am thinking of trying Dikies insulated overalls under my bike gear. I am getting some for work anyway, so it's got to be worth a try. I have never had much problem with cold hands, both my bikes do not have any wind shielding for my hands, I just wear good winter gloves and no heated grips. However I am not getting any younger and may have to submit to having more protection soon.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 16/01/2012 09:57  

If you are thinking of going for handguards like i have just done you cant go far wrong having a look at the "barkbusters" own website as they have a listing for what fits which bikes

had to do it that way for mine as no-one lists them for a cruiser!! had already tried a cheapo "universal" pair but they wouldnt go anywhere near AND i was prepared to fabricate brackets etc but wouldnt have had any luck

the Barkbusters aren't exactly cheap ( mine costing £85) but what price can you put on working fingers/hands during a "cool" ride?

Update Reply
Stroggyman @ 16/01/2012 14:14  

Please don't post forum subjects ALL IN CAPS.

Thanks

Update Reply
Matt @ 16/01/2012 15:48  

thanks for all the suggestions guys .. Deep heat : <-- Like at least I would get a seat to myself in the little thief outside Dolgellau coz of the pong !! Hand guards : <-- Also like , but not sure they would fit on clip-ons: maybe a small perspex deflector on the fairing would have the same effect in the same way that Centurion's faired in mirrors work ? hmmm... In the meantime, some proper winter gloves on order, along with a cyclists skull cap (as you can see, I'm follically challenged ..!)!

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 16/01/2012 18:15  

Try going to work at 2,30 am on a bike

Update Reply
JP @ 16/01/2012 18:28  

Chris, I use hand hotties down the back of my gloves, you just shake them & they heat up, last a good 8 hours riding

Also I have a heated body warmer by Kozeee which has rechargeable packs that once charges will last 5 hours each on its highest setting of 9 (which keeps even me toastie) Usually I have it on about 5 which lasts 7 - 8 hours

And of course, woollen tights under trousers

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 16/01/2012 18:57  

small perspex deflectors might work, you can see in the photo my faired mirrors arn't that big but they're just in the right place to deflect the wind from your hands nicely, typical Teutonic efficiency!

Update Reply
centurion @ 16/01/2012 19:17  

Hands up all the men who wear tights under their trousers!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/01/2012 20:22  

lol well he did ask
Whats the best winter riding gear (including gloves!) that you have to keep you toasty on the road

But I can guess a few that could agree from personal experience

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 16/01/2012 21:12  

Sorry Shell - I just couldn't resist!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/01/2012 21:27  

i can recommend menopause ....for that in built central heating

Update Reply
kwakgirl @ 17/01/2012 08:18  

Nar, that's no use KG, it's intermittent lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/01/2012 08:29  

LOL Betty ... I am awaiting the males who do know to reply heheeh

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 17/01/2012 08:44  

Not me Betty "honest"

Update Reply
davidneale @ 17/01/2012 08:50  

Me thinks he douth protest to much ... what do you say Betty?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 17/01/2012 09:09  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email