MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

New French Laws Announced

New French Laws Announced - Forums [Biker Match] New French Laws Announced - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

New French Laws Announced

Motorcyclists in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">France</st1:place></st1:country-region> will be forced to wear high visibility clothing, following a 18 changes in French road traffic laws. The French Government has finally confirmed how it will implement new regulations for motorcyclists. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p> An amendment to ‘Le Code de la Route’, the French version of the Highway Code, will make it compulsory for riders of bikes (including Trikes) over 125cc to wear a reflective item of clothing. The rule comes into force on 1 January 2013. The reflective area must be on the upper body, between the waist and the shoulders and cover at least 150cm2. The requirement will apply to riders and pillions, including foreigners travelling in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">France</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Failure to comply with the new regulation could lead to a fine of €68 (£56). <o:p> </o:p> Motorcycle number plates will be made larger so they can be traced more easily for speed offences. New plates will be 275x200 mm and will be fitted to new or newly-registered vehicles. Any number plate that does not conform to regulations (car or motorcycle) will face a €135 fine. <o:p> </o:p> Riders in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">France</st1:place></st1:country-region> must already use their headlights all the time and carry reflective stickers on their helmets. <o:p> </o:p> Others laws to be introduced that will affect motorcyclists include: <o:p> </o:p> Radar detectors will be banned with importers and manufacturers facing up to two years in prison and a €30,000 fine while anyone with such equipment in a vehicle will face a class 5 contravention and is liable to a €1,500 fine and the loss of six points. This includes SATNAVS with radar/camera warnings. Maps publicising the placement of radars and speed controls will no longer be published. Plans have already been announced for an extra 1,000 speed camera sites across <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">France</st1:place></st1:country-region>.Warning signs for radars, which at present are fitted within 400m of older radars and up to 2km from new installations, will be taken down and drivers will not be alerted to the presence of speed traps. Drivers who speed at more than 50kph above the set limit will, from the first offence, be liable to three months’ prison, a €3,750 fine and six points from their licence. Drink drivers face losing eight points from their licence rather than the present six if their blood/alcohol limit is higher than 0.8g per litre. Nurses will now be allowed to carry out the tests, rather than only doctors. Sources: MAG, Carole Nash, The Connexion (a English French newspaper). Looks like I'll be giving France a miss when on the Continent, even if it means going the long way round.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 09/01/2012 15:01  

France is rubbish anyhow - just one more reason not to bother Fly to Italy and hire a bike - it's amazing there

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/01/2012 16:26  

I know, Matt, used to avoid it at all cost when I was posted in Germany, always paid the extra for the party boat from Rotterdam so I didn't have to drive through France. Well worth it ;)

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 09/01/2012 16:38  

how can you drive in france with out a sat nav ???????????? i got lost in paris WITH one last november

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 09/01/2012 20:13  

alps and pyrenees will still be well worth a visit i`m thinking though. plus most police flash you to alert you of cameras!!

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 09/01/2012 20:32  

"upper body, between the waist and the shoulders and cover at least 150cm2." ??? Well thats me just about swamped in reflective Ann-Marie x

Update Reply
missme @ 09/01/2012 21:55  

150 cm 2 (square cm`s) stupid computer! is only just over 12cm wide by 12 cm high, or about 5ins by 5 ins in old money! not too bad, especially if the next gereration of leathers which are coming through are worn, the "black" leather used floureces (sp?) under head lights, so looks normal, until lit up at night. or we can ignore it!!

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 09/01/2012 22:32  

how long will it be till we get the same,,

Update Reply
AlpineBusa @ 10/01/2012 00:24  

What happened to the plans to harmonise road regulations across the eu? How can the french get away with invoking this type of rubbish without european support?

Another nail in the coffin.

Update Reply
GreyGra @ 11/01/2012 22:24  

Oh let me think about that for a nano second ...... oh thats right there all in cahoots and feckin delirious.... France, Belguim and Germany rule the EU and make the decisions and us (the UK) are just puppets with their hands up our A%^&£.

Update Reply
bomb doctor @ 12/01/2012 02:47  

The EU directive doe's not mention a passenger on a motor cycle has to comply with the legislation only the rider of the vehicle, bit silly if your passenger is not transparent so no secrets girls if you please

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/01/2012 23:14  

As a rule I ride with lights all the time anyway but i'm of the opinion that hi vis should be a choice, one of many reasons why I took part in the protest rides last Sept.

What I don't understand is why this only applies to bikes over 125cc, are they trying to say that 125 riders are visible enough already?? Typical nonsense dreamed up by non biking pen pushers who have to justify their jobs grrr

Update Reply
WelshAL @ 19/01/2012 07:33  

Great point Al .. especially in France ! Ped riders everywhere .. Doncha just love the bolshy French ..? Might just happen here in the near future ... mind you -- how many of you have e-mailed you local euro MP about voting against the anti tampering laws due to be voted on in March ...?? Do it now ! wedge .. Thin end of ...

Update Reply
chris.sheridan @ 20/01/2012 18:38  

euro MPs and chocolate fire guards have a lot in common.

I emailed a couple (mps for east mids) one replied, and admitted that he had little knowledge of motorcycling and demonstrated little interest. He didnt know of the recent motorcycle protests in Brussels, and considered that the UK protests were no more than an annoyance to the public that would gain little.

Boycott France if you feel it will do any good, I for one will now look elsewhere in future for my holidays.

Update Reply
thehairyone @ 21/01/2012 00:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email