MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Brake then clunk

Brake then clunk - Forums [Biker Match] Brake then clunk - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Brake then clunk

Right, here's the green girl picking brains again. Done about 35 miles today and bike behaved prefectly round south Lakes twisties. As I met traffic going through town I noticed a distinct "clunk". Slowing down and changing down the gears, into first gear then riding at slow speed using the clutch, and back & front brakes. When I came to a complete stop there was a distinct "clunk" that I've never heard before. I think it was coming from the front wheel or maybe the front of the engine but I'm not sure (I can't locate sounds very well because of the problem I have with my deafness)...but I didn't just hear it I could kind of feel it too Any ideas mes amis? xx

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 01/12/2011 14:35  

Stone!

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/12/2011 14:39  

OOOooooooooh, really??? Or are you taking the mickey

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 01/12/2011 14:41  

kinda. But it really could be lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 01/12/2011 15:23  

Hi Minn have you checked the oil levels make sure they're not dry... Hope it's nothing major and you sort it

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 01/12/2011 16:36  

Check your chain could be slack then front and rear brake pads if all ok get a mate to check your head race bearings its very unlikely that its them but check them any way

Update Reply
JP @ 01/12/2011 17:28  

check your brakes as JP says and could also be front wheel bearings... if you're "feeling" it then most likely brakes or bearings

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 01/12/2011 19:17  

Thanks you lot My instincts were kind of telling me that my brakes weren't quite right when I went out last week. Today I set off riding round the block and trying them a few times then thought, nawww, they is fine. I think the best thing to do is take it in to get it looked at. Shouldn't mess around with brakes should I

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 01/12/2011 19:28  

Check rear brake torque arm is tight.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 01/12/2011 20:46  

try braking with front brake only if whatever still happens its front end only check front wheel spindle is tight put one hand on the yolk and fame apply front brake rock bike forward/backwards should feel no movement

Update Reply
havfun @ 01/12/2011 21:53  

Steering headbearings would be the first thing i'd check

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/12/2011 22:36  

All sound advice,pads moving in caliper a little? Try puting front brake on and rocking bike to an fro..can u hear noise? |do same wiv back brake... Finally..check the nut behind the handlebars.....

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 04/12/2011 10:16  

u not run over jimmy savill have U? clunk clik every trip..

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 04/12/2011 21:35  

Funny ha ha smarty pants! Stop making bloody clever remarks and come up to Cumbria to listen to my clunking in person....I'm just up the road from you. lol

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 04/12/2011 21:38  

Haven't you found out the cause yet Minnie.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 05/12/2011 00:01  

Errr no....it's snowing!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 05/12/2011 00:18  

and you can keep it up there thanx :-)

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 05/12/2011 00:32  

Wish we didn't have it up here mic....snow does nothing for me....the Swiss can keep it all Ooooooh I hate this weather and it's sleeting again. I haven't got my bike dry enough since I was out Thursday to get the cover on....I've got that negligent owner feeling again

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 05/12/2011 11:13  

Snow is like a Virgin on her Wedding Night, she knows she's getting it, just not how many Inches?

Update Reply
YZFJohn @ 05/12/2011 11:22  

OI!! Stop highjacking my thread with grubby slush!

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 05/12/2011 12:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email