MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Winter riding, what could you not do without?

Winter riding, what could you not do without?  (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Winter riding, what could you not do without?  (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Winter riding, what could you not do without?

Thanks Shell

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 25/10/2011 18:48  

I would have thought using your muffs with heated grips would be real toasty. I put a pair of infill deflectors on my BMW a couple of weeks back hands are totally out of the wind, still on summer gloves and heated grips off.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 25/10/2011 20:30  

As a pillion, thermals, billions of layers and a fast rider that has you working hard to hold on!

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 28/10/2011 23:53  

Now the feeling blackberry where you been not seen you for ages catch up soon I hope XB and oh thermals and sons golfing hand warmers work well

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/10/2011 08:50  

a face silk and a neck warmer really make a difference in the cold.. kidney belt anuva must too.... I think the handlebar muffs or deflectors good too, although never actually owned either! an of course the Callis big screen and the V twin engine keeps one warm too....Guzzi rule!!

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 11/11/2011 00:33  

Hi all....For what it's worth...windproof/waterproof over-mitts (Gerbing do electrically heated ones, 'sposed to be very good, I'll tell you in mid-January), forget gloves just on their own. If your on a budget, have a look at mountain bike / cycling winter thermal clothing, I use a 'Parrot' top sometimes under the leather jacket, super lightweight, totally windproof, folds up into a tiny packet (as it's designed for stowing on a racing bicycle), and, I got it for silly money in in a summer bargain bin sale at my local cycle shop...... Motocross placcy hand-guards do a good job of keeping the icy blast directly off your hands too 'specially on long Mway hauls, if you aren't fussy about looking all posh.... Thermal leggings under the leathers, and if you can find a good quality pair, silk socks to go under your winter ones, oh and the most comfortable/waterproof boots I've ever owned are a pair of Hein Gericke's Rallye's, really comfy, bulletproof, and nice and warm, plus, so far, haven't let the water in..(4 years daily wear).. I've fitted a BMW accessory plug to the Yam' (worth doing, very easy to do, makes sure you use an in-line fuse rated at about 10amps ) so will be able to power a heated 'under-jacket' this year, necessary 'cos I don't own a car, it's the bike 365 for me...and the winters seem to be getting very bitter?.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/11/2011 17:41  

my winter bike , a 30 year old 250 superdream, now slowly evolving into a rat bike, i couldn't bear to see my new 1250 bandit sliding down the road again !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 15/11/2011 18:08  

Ski gear.
Cheap ski gear and lots of layers and cheap oilies.
Before I invested in heated grips it was all down to layers.
Lots and lots of layers.
Silk glove liners, gloves, then waxed cotton over-mitts.
Down side - time taken for a comfort break. You look like the Michelin man.
Upside - You are the Michelin man! When a car pulls out in front of you then you bonce off the roof - saved me.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/11/2011 00:23  

Honda xr400 it goes go though or over anything including cars

Update Reply
JP @ 16/11/2011 05:29  

My cheap winter hack-heated seats,cd player etc yes it is a car!

Update Reply
Sprint900 @ 16/11/2011 21:15  

i still think a garage is the best place for a bike over winter

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 23/11/2011 00:14  

I still think a garage is the best place for Bill over winter...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/11/2011 18:42  

XK he would hibernate for the winter but he cannot go that long without food!

Good ideas from people on here, I hope this planning thier 1st winter of riding have found it useful

Looks like my bike will be away this winter :-( foot not strong enough to hold the weight 'not appy!!!'

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 24/11/2011 00:33  

granted i dont ride in snow or ice but for me its thermal base layers from decathlon... the middle of the range gear is aimed at skiers/mountain climbers and it does help (granted for womens its £15ish a piece unsure on blokes) but i wear that with my bike jacket (plain textile rayven jacket, textile triumph mens trousers) and an extra jumper and dont have too much of a problem.

heated grips count as a modification and are meant to be declared to insurance so i dont have them (im 22, insurance is expensive as it is)

either that or i jump on the back on my mates bike... with his size hes a wind block for me!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/11/2011 12:24  

Layers, layers, layers. I stay mostly warm with lines textiles, base layer and jumper on the top. The neck thingy is a must. My only issue is cold hands, even with base gloves underneath. I should just get heated grips and be done with it!

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 24/11/2011 12:39  

KT, its getting real crazy when heated grips count as a mod, they increase your safety and concentration when cold.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 24/11/2011 21:46  

yep... even a tank pad counts as a mod!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/11/2011 22:21  

The main thing for me for winter riding is a nice dry clear day, sunshine is a bonus.

Update Reply
PaulXXX @ 24/11/2011 22:21  

I couldn't do without the heated grips,.. then hosepipe, brush/soft sponge, and some fairy liquid,.. to get rid of all the salt and cack after a ride!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 25/11/2011 21:41  

I find my bike is essential....

Update Reply
kazninja @ 30/11/2011 19:29  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email