MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Karma system changes

Karma system changes - Forums [Biker Match] Karma system changes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Karma system changes

I've made a load of changes to the Karma system practically making it impossible for cheats to bump up their karma. This makes the system more accurate and reliable, allowing you to see who really is active and popular within the community. Karma can now more accurately be used to determine someone's credibility also. Notes... There is NO way that ANYONE ELSE can affect your Karma. Blocking someone doesn't degrade their rating. Posting small posts into the forum like "LOL" will REDUCE your Karma Starting NEWS topics with genuine content (more than 400 characters long) will massively boost your Karma "attending" an event doesn't increase your Karma much, but tagging yourself in a photo for the event will Uploading photos to an event will also give you a big boost. Only your activity from the past 90 days counts... so all the PMs you sent last year don't add to your Karma. This is to give newer members of the site more chance to boost their Karma while knocking down inactive members Each day that passes that you DONT login will reduce your Karma considerably STARTING an event in the calendar will greatly boost your Karma once it's approved by Sandi Karma points are awarded for the number of people you communicate with via PM, rather than how many PMs you send. (Suggestion: Say hi to new members of the site and welcome them!) Full members get a Karma boost, relative to the length of time then upgrade for. If you pay for a year's subs then your karma will boost considerably. Staff members get a small staff bonus Plus a few other changes, but I don't want to go into too much detail. It's supposed to be a secret lol. I will tell you that the "variables" (what count towards your karma) have gone from 7 to 25 just now. The new Karma points have been calculated for all members and are now implemented.

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 11:46  

For some reason it's put me right above everyone else. Give me 10 minutes to investiate why lol

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 11:48  

lol!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/10/2011 11:53  

forgot to filter the count for news forum topics to only the last 90 days, so it was counting all my old news topics from the last 4 years. ok fixed now and it's recalculating everyone's Karma. Takes about 15 minutes.

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 11:55  

So, playing the word games is a must for all of those that have said that they do not want to appear in the Top 20

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 11/10/2011 12:00  

lol i suppose so. Maybe I shouldn't have given details about any of the changes. :-S But if you look at the popular members now you'll see that it's really an accurate representation of who gets involved most with the site. No more random names appearing that you've never heard of Only problem is that Shell comes out so high on top again that it distorts everyone else's Karma. The number 2 spot should be around 90% like with the guys, not 50% like the gals

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 12:05  

Let's ban Shell, she's rubbish anyway (legs it)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/10/2011 12:18  

Comments from Junction in the other topic... "Reduction in Karma for short forum posts"A couple of words, maybe, but sometimes a brief sentence is all it takes to get your point across(?) and also (sry), 'logging in': There are prob lots of members (like meee) who keep a BM tab open in their browser(?) They may login just the once in the morning, or stay logged in from the day/night before? To answer... Posting small, one-word, forum messages are going to (slightly) reduce your Karma. Not by much though. Just write a couple of sentences and it wont matter. One-worders will reduce your Karma. As always though, if i find anyone "abusing" the karma system it will be changed! About logging in... if you don't login for 3 weeks I want you to drop off the popular pages and have a low Karma. As soon as you log back in again your Karma will jump up to it's correct count. Basically each day that you DON'T login you will lose about 4% of your Karma. But it's only temporary until you log back in again

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 12:20  

So what your saying is shell is staying at the top for good best move now is remove all members of staff and events team from the list then you get the fair reading

Update Reply
JP @ 11/10/2011 12:20  

lol run faster xklyber she may be in plaseter but i think she will catch u
lol and it rite the the staff who welcome and keep the forum going sould be in the top 20

"So, playing the word games is a must for all of those that have said that they do not want to appear in the Top 20"

bl it wont count only one word or too

and small hi welcome to the site is only a few words too

Update Reply
kaycat @ 11/10/2011 12:22  

Really don't know what to do about Shell's Karma, it's too high but for genuine reasons. That's why the number 2 spot to number 10 are all similar Karma, because the new calculations DO work. Shell just genuinely uses the site a lot, attends a lot of events that she uploads photos to and tags herself in. She contacts all new members who join the site to say Hi and Welcome. Starts new forum topics, gets involved with others she didn't start. etc etc. Plus she has a full account, is staff, and logs in every day.

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 12:23  

I have an idea!!! Watch this space...

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 12:24  

I am going to ask this question Matt because I really am very very confused. You have said that the 'new' list accurate and is based upon the last 90 days worth of site activity. How long ago was the KISS rally? Because above anyone else on the site, male or female, I would have thought that BJ and Boss Mom had the most activity....but then, what would I know.

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 11/10/2011 12:25  

You'll find that while BJ and V were working hard to make the event a success, other people like yourself and Shell were able to chat away online and continue using the site as normal. The folks who organised the rally did a hell of a lot of work OFFLINE. There is no ay the Karma system can measure that! As I said... I have an idea. Watch this space in 10 minutes

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 12:30  

Thanks for the reply and yes, I am aware of how very hard everyone worked to make it the success that it was.

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 11/10/2011 12:32  

The site is gonna freeze for about 60 seconds or more. Sorry but the changes I'm about to make are fundamental changes in the database. Here we go...

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 12:34  

Karma ,

Yesterday 52% ish
This morning 65%
now 0%
?

Update Reply
bkr @ 11/10/2011 12:39  

onabikeagain... I will have to investigate what's happened there, something definitely not right. BL... I've changed the weighting of the variables in the calculation to level it out a bit. Now the top 10 are closer together

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 12:45  

onabikeagain... it's because you only post small messages in the forums. Your average forum post is around 50 characters long but the majority are just a couple of words with a few longer posts.
I will do something about that...

Update Reply
Matt @ 11/10/2011 12:49  

Taaa matt

Update Reply
bkr @ 11/10/2011 12:50  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email