MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

One for the classic enthusiasts

One for the classic enthusiasts - Forums [Biker Match] One for the classic enthusiasts - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

One for the classic enthusiasts

I've just been sent this link from another forum. Biking as it used to be...read and enjoy!

http://www.go-faster.com/SS100.html

Update Reply
Wills @ 08/10/2011 19:17  

Just finished reading it Wills,,,,,great link with some great pics... and even the smartly dressed lady looks hot in the pic taken at the top of the franz Glacier,,,sporting a nice little pair of short hotpants !!!!!ps,,,i did look at all the pics,,,including the bikes,,,,might have been just before my time but what a trip that appeared to have been,,,and typical englishmen of that era,,,shirt and ties whilst riding !!!and of course all the stops for a brew of tea !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/10/2011 19:59  

Great read Wills,how much would you spend now to do that trip,great pics

Update Reply
sumodwarf @ 09/10/2011 12:19  

Fabulous read Wills. Thank you. Precisely what bikes are for IMHO
Really fires up my hunger for touring and doing more of my own maintenance.

I'm quite shocked by the attire though, and especially the fact their saddle-bags suggest they can't have had many changes of clothing with them. Excellent

Update Reply
desres @ 09/10/2011 13:40  

Top link there Wills! Seems like the son is keeping up the biking tradition too. Brilliant read, liked the bit at the end when the father done 160MPH on his bike at 78 years old thinking it was just the ton!

Update Reply
Rattay @ 09/10/2011 14:44  

Love it Love it Love it. I recall photos just like these from my childhood. My dad was nearly 60 when I was born & he died when I was 11 & there were photos of him and his bike chums pre & post war, just like these. The Brough superior is divine Lederhosen! I bet they nipped down to le plage when they were at Le Touquet - a suit and tie was customary attire for a day on the beach in those days too

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 09/10/2011 19:28  

Great article Wills, anymore of these gems ? Be great if we could still load our bikes into the nose of a plane hey, superb set of bikes and always nice to see a Brough ...

Update Reply
Rooster roo @ 09/10/2011 21:59  

Some amazing photographs in there.. the scenery was stunning!

Favourite paragraph was of his father on the Duke (+1 Rattay):
"If you look in the reflection of the Broughs tank you will see my V Twin. My father also rode this one when he was in his 70's. When I first bought it (a Ducati 888SP4) it had a speedo in kilometers and I rode it round to show Dad my new bike and he wanted a ride and I told him it had a K calibrated speedo, but it started pouring with rain so it was a few days later before he had a go and by then I had put an MPH speedo on it. I forget to mention this as he was off on it as soon as I arrived. When he came back I was surprised to hear from him that whilst it was quick - "it took longer than expected to reach a ton". A short chat and the mystery was solved. He had taken it to an indicated 160 still thinking that it was a kilometers speedo and 160kph would be 100mph. So my 70+ year old father had just done 160mph on the Alton bypass! Mum was not amused, though dad clearly was and had a cigar and a beer to celebrate... My dad carried on riding bikes until he was 87 and then decided he was getting a bit old for bikes and bought himself a sports car."
classic..

Update Reply
Junction47 @ 10/10/2011 08:28  

Took the words out of my mouth J47 My dad carried on riding bikes until he was 87 and then decided he was getting a bit old for bikes and bought himself a sports car." As you say, classic

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/10/2011 09:35  

Only just found this one. It's really fantastic to see these old bikes in there original settings. The clothing has moved on somewhat since then. The Brough Superior had always been my dream bike, but the Triumohs and Sunbeam would suite also.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 04/03/2012 18:14  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email