MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Motorcycle Touring In Spain Over Xmas

Motorcycle Touring In Spain Over Xmas - Forums [Biker Match] Motorcycle Touring In Spain Over Xmas - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Motorcycle Touring In Spain Over Xmas

Hi,

Has anyone toured in Spain over the Christmas New Year period ?

Karen

Update Reply
KarenTwickenham @ 20/09/2011 15:51  

Nope never been at xmas, but if you are still in Spain on January 5/6, that's when the Spaniards have their biggest knees up of the festive period. There will be processions & festivals in every town & village celebrating the 3 kings bringing their prezzies, and in coastal towns they'll arrive by sea. It might be difficult finding ad hoc accommodation but I've heard it's amazing.

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 20/09/2011 20:26  

I toured Northern Spain at Xmas 2008, crossing into France and heading home via St Malo. Conditions were mostly fabulous. Hard frost at night. 1" frost and frozen battery most mornings but blue skies and sun all day. Nothing a bucket of warm water and a bump start couldn't fix.

I "nicked" a great route proposed for a HOG ride the following June, based on staying at Paradores (converted castles etc). It was AWESOME!! Spent Xmas eve in a castle in Oviedo with the whole town walking to midnight mass with candles etc. Would love to try it again in spring. Everything cheaper than peak season. Only issue was no ferry back, hence having to come back through France.

If like me you get an enforced Xmas break, it's a good use of the time off, and the mildest weather you'll find in Europe.

Update Reply
desres @ 24/09/2011 23:06  

Nothing a bucket of warm water and a bump start couldn't fix. Cold water will do just as well, as it's warmer than freezing.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 18/11/2011 09:09  

Never over xmas,but have done in august.. There are some beautiful places to see and the spaniards are so pro bike,not like the numpties over here who hate them and what they stand for.. Enjoy the winter sunshine... and try bring a little back with ya..

Update Reply
Dirtbiker69 @ 18/11/2011 10:50  

Latest I've been is end of September.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 18/11/2011 14:07  

The Santander/Bilbao ferry (Going and returning from Portsmouth or Plymouth) now runs all year round. I just checked out a few weeks break and the return ferry crossing for one person and bike came out at £208 That to me is a good price. One of the journeys had to be made in a costlier cabin as the cheaper cabins were sold out. The dates I put in were Dec 18th and return Jan 9th I did it in August this year and July the year before and the high season price for me alone was about £350 I won't go then again though as it's too hot for me! Hoping to go sometime in low season next year, its cheaper and cooler! This was with Brittany ferries

Update Reply
Rattay @ 18/11/2011 16:42  

if i had the funds Id give it a go!!!

Update Reply
rossoandy21 @ 18/11/2011 22:57  

Ratty makes a boo boo! Just rechecked the journey and cost I proposed on my previous post. The fare of £208 is an each way fare so return price is £416. This is expensive and the xmas period therefore must be classed as almost high season! Sorry for any confusion there. The £350 I paid this August was without a cabin, just on a reclining seat that only one of the ferries (Port Aven) possesses. On the other ferries you must have a cabin booked which adds at least £150 to the return trip. So I think £400 is about the correct price and you won't get it much cheaper any other time. If two people share a cabin and bike it is of course cheaper between you. I did the same journey cost for two persons and one bike and the cost is £476 The saving on mileage if you go through France is about 1000 miles so if you are short on time it is definitely an option.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 19/11/2011 09:19  

Just checked a return ferry journey on the Port Avon on reclining chairs for depart Portsmouth to Santander on March 7th return Santander to Plymouth on March 29th and the fair for one person and bike is £277. For two persons and one bike both on reclining chairs for the journey's, the cost is £338 in total. The reclining chairs do not make for a comfortable night sleep but will save you roughly an extra £130 for the two persons if you book a single inside cabin. (Total cost for two persons, one bike and single cabin both ways for the same dates is £460) The Brittany ferry website is pretty user friendly but it is well worth messing around with different dates around the time you want to travel and also different routes between Portsmouth, Plymouth, Santander and Bilbao to get the lowest fares. Only the Port Aven ferry has the option of the reclining chairs though, the other ferry that runs on the routes has only cabins available. There is the possibility of accessing vouchers to lower the price slightly. I got mine from the NEC bike show last year.

Update Reply
Rattay @ 19/11/2011 10:34  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email