MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Laptop woes

Laptop woes - Forums [Biker Match] Laptop woes - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Laptop woes

Any putter experts on here, Wife's laptop is playing up when she connects to the Internet, doesn't matter whether she is using IE or Chrome, either takes ages to load a page or the wi fi connection will drop, I've done the usual stuff of virus checks and emptying the temp folders.  I can be sitting next to her with my laptop or iPad and I have no drop in connection even with the pages she wants to open, any and all help appreciated, laptop is about 6 years old and a HP Running xp TIA

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 19/09/2011 22:21  

could be your wireles card spitting its dummy out mate problem with all this modern tech is that it seems to have a built in "shelf life" might be possible to replace the card with a new one even though its now seen as an "old" lappy

Update Reply
Stroggyman @ 19/09/2011 23:02  

have you tried defragging the hard drive, dumping all the history, transferring photo's, vids, and other non essential files to a disc or flash drive ? all of these things might help to grease it up electricly

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/09/2011 23:20  

Go into connections on laptop-it might be trying to use dialup instead of wireless... Make sure that in settings 'never dial a connection' is ticked off... Failing that defrag might speed it up a bit-check what programmes are running and boot off the ones u don't need (usually in proceses in control panel)... Failing that I'm clueless :-)

Update Reply
mizzi @ 19/09/2011 23:53  

First thing to do is see what processes are running so press ctrl alt and delete at the same time this will bring up a new window, click on the process tab and then click on the cpu tab probably need to click cpu twice. it should now show cpu usage with system idle at a round 90% if the idle process is between 0-10% it will show whats using the cpu and this might be whats slowing it down, stop this process and it should improve some back ground programs that run can be very cpu heavy. Any issues send me a PM

Update Reply
IanT1966 @ 20/09/2011 06:02  

Might have malware or spyware on the system, spybot is a free nti virus and is the nuts for getting rid of them, it also keeps you updated if there changes in the system registry directory

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 11:27  

Yup definitely check for spyware/ malware..it can be using up your bandwidth slowing what you want to look at right down...also try an Internet speed checker..a lot of so called providers quote download speeds etc but in reality it's many times slower than advertised....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/09/2011 12:06  

Had the same problem with chrome on this lappy,its a year old ,screwed everthing up had to redo everything from scratch,my phone wi-fi was always fine aswell,took chrome off now use mozilla with no problems,speed or otherwise.Although chrome is on the desktop with no problems.

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 21/09/2011 17:40  

Errrr except this

Update Reply
fxr swas @ 21/09/2011 17:40  

May I also ask a question When I do a 'clean up', do I also need to delete any compressed files???

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 21/09/2011 18:28  

Thanks for the replies folks done most of the things suggested and seems to be a lot better, wifey used it last night and commented that it was working better, I said I fixed it, she said it's probably better cos it's not raining, she does make me larff :-))

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 21/09/2011 19:03  

The other thing this could be is the network card renegotiating the wireless connection speed repeatedly. I had this with my laptop and resolved it by forcing the connection to 802.11g on both the laptop and the router.

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 23/09/2011 13:08  

i've got a prob with with my lappy too. Can any of you clever gits help me? Cat has habit of sitting on keyboard smirking if i turn my back and leave lid up- he quite often changes some settings, grrr. I can't connect to internet now. WLAN is turned on. It can see my bt homehub and there's a strong signal and daughter and smart phone can connect to it, so that's ok. But get message 'windows cannot connect to homehub'. Don't know what else to check. Help please

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 23/09/2011 23:57  

Can anyone help me with my question please. Do I need to delete 'condensed files' when I do a clean up???

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 24/09/2011 14:32  

That is one clever cat MTM, i'd just ask the cat what and why it changed them... on a serious note, I can't help, this sounds like a job for the supplier or google it, yahoo answers is a good place too, I think the same goes for bandit lover. U can delete compressed files but I would google it or yahoo answers just to be on the safe side

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 24/09/2011 21:00  

Wheelbarrow said: she said it's probably better cos it's not raining, she does make me larff :-)) Me too did you ask her if she had been messing with the aerial? I'd love to know her reply

Update Reply
Sandi @ 24/09/2011 22:00  

My clever daughter reminded me about the system restore function where it takes your laptop back to a state where it still worked lol...did it and hey presto, can connect to internet again! yeay! That's my couple of days doings doing productive stuff rather that devoting far too much time to the internet over & done with lol

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 25/09/2011 23:47  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email