MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Riding at a slower speed

Riding at a slower speed - Forums [Biker Match] Riding at a slower speed - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Riding at a slower speed

What's too slow on a dual carriageway A road ?

My bikers mates were complaining that I was doing 50mph on the A3 (70 mph speed limit.

I thought speed limits were there to 'limit' and not there for you to ride at ?

Your comments both negative and positive are welcome.

Karen

Update Reply
KarenTwickenham @ 07/08/2011 15:56  

I always feel bad when I've been chuntering about the dude in front doing 40 on a straight road in a 60. Once I get past and see the guy is at least 80, I'm shame faced.

If you lack the confidence to do the limit or are trying to beat your best fuel economy record, then you'll just have to grin and bear the secret ire of intolerant idiots like me! Sorry *blush*

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/08/2011 16:19  

I agree, they are a limit ... ride to your own limits not other peoples or ones set for you.

That way as you progress you know you can do it

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 07/08/2011 19:00  

i am a plodder on the bike or in the car, my daughter moaned once about going slow. then told me off for going to fast! i just dont like to rush anywhere, take in the scenery i say!

Update Reply
bobbyfrankenstein @ 07/08/2011 19:14  

Slong as you don't get overtaken by any mobility scooters or toddlers with stabilisers then yer doing fine ))

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 07/08/2011 19:32  

Well explane to your mate that the speed limit on a duel carrage way in the uk is 60 mph not 70 then if you feel happy at 50 mph then thats ok but if you get down to 40ish you run the risk of being shunted

Update Reply
JP @ 07/08/2011 19:38  

Don't give in to peer pressure,Travel at the speed you feel in control of your vehicle,Ability,weather/road conditions ect, If others have to stop and wait for you to catch up so be it,They're not in charge of your safety YOU are !!.Ride to arrive..Enjoy Motorcycling.

Update Reply
bkr @ 08/08/2011 11:06  

oops posted twice ...(edited)

Update Reply
bkr @ 08/08/2011 11:07  

Advanced driving advice suggests that matching the speed of other road users within the limit is safer than going against the flow with an excessively slow speed.

Speed limit on dual carriageways (with central reservations ie: normal ones) is 70 mph.

http://www.abd.org.uk/know_your_speed_limits.htm#table

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 14:53  

Yep, limit is 70 on dual carriageway, and even if there are two lanes in each direction, if its got no central reservation its single carriageway, so its 60 . . . . . . oh the joys of the speed awareness course!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 15:13  

I concur with 1yoghurt, travelling a lot slower than the traffic around you can also cause accidents. Mostly due to other drivers not noticing you or getting frustrated, tbf, but it does increase the likely-hood.

I'm never happy joining a motorway when the person in front is doing 20-30mph less than the motorway flow for example.

Update Reply
Say_Ten @ 08/08/2011 17:05  

You should go at the speed you feel comfortable and confident to go at. You've passes your test and have your licence so why risk a spill by trying to go faster than you are currently able to. The longer we ride our bikes the more we build up confidence and before you know it you will be doing 60 on that bypass so no worries babes. safe riding

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 17:52  

JP, quick, tell 'em you were on about being in a transit van!!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 18:21  

Dont drive stuff that small my limets are 60 mph motorways but restricted to 56mph EU regs 50mph duel carridgeway and 40mph single unless lower limit applys

Update Reply
JP @ 08/08/2011 19:17  

Go at your own rate but use your mirrors more for those coming up behind that don't see you going slower, dab your rear brake without slowing to highlight yourself to those who may appear to be bearing down on you. You will get more progressive with time. I like to have a bimble around the small lanes now and again, get lost and follow my nose home again. Newlands corner is a less frenetic spot than boxhill area. What was the club you mentioned.

Update Reply
harry worth @ 08/08/2011 19:27  

If you do 50 in a 70 then 25 tonnes of metal is gonna catch u up and try get past. Trucks are allowed to do 55 so they will come past and that aint good. Also this causes traffic to back up and can lead to frustration so not good neither.

I think a few of the others are spot on is to keep up with the traffic and I can't see any reason why 60-70 can't be done plodding or not. Most bikers want to get along the big roads and get off them ASAP so probably why the moans.

Update Reply
madscots @ 08/08/2011 19:30  

As a learner on a 125 I'm still not confident enough to go at 60/70 so I go as fast as I'm comfortable with, up to 50 I can manage. I've got L plates on so in reality other traffic OUGHT to take that into consideration be it cars, trucks or bikes. We all have to learn sometime.
Is it so hard for people to have a little patience and not try to kill themselves or others just so they can get in front of you??

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 08/08/2011 19:46  

Like everyone else has said ride at the limit you feel happy with, but just be aware that at 50mph on a road like the A3 you've got 38ton lorries sitting up your chuff probably wanting to overtake, so be carefull, but above all enjoy your riding it's the best thrill on the planet

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/08/2011 20:17  

Maddscots trucks are not alowed to do 55 on any road just motorways max speed limit is 50 unless on a motorway then its 60 and before you say thay do well yes thay do as thay are just within the 10% bracket

Update Reply
JP @ 09/08/2011 04:24  

or 40 on most b roads! (yes i drive a big red truck for a living) as for the original question, as for me, if folk are slower than me they are just doddery old folk, if they are faster than me they are reckless crazy idiots. i think to be honest if the folk your ridding with, critic you for being slow, pick some other folk to ride with. it`s no fun riding with folk pushin you, or feeling like everytime your slowing down the group. and conversly, if the push you then they are endangering you needlessly by getting you out of your comfort zone to satisfy them.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 09/08/2011 16:27  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email