MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

D-Air

D-Air - Forums [Biker Match] D-Air - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

D-Air

Dainese have developed a new generation of motorcycle air bag, called the D-Air (imaginatively!).

There are already systems on the market, but these rely on a cable from the rider to the bike which has a number of issues, mainly evolving around the fact that the rider has to actually come away from the bike for the system to activate.

Firstly, they're just too slow; generally an accident has to be pretty much over for the rider to be thrown from the bike, by which time he/she may already have their injuries.

Secondly, although some systems overcome this to an extent by spring loading the cable, you could accidentally walk away from your bike, say at a petrol station and suddenly "POOF!!", Michelin Man lol!

And thirdly, if the rider doesn't actually come away from the bike in an accident, then the system wouldn't trigger at all.

Dainese have overcome these issues by "developing" a system more akin to that in a car. A motion sensor unit mounted on the bike detects violent deceleration and/or falling and sends a signal to the jacket/airbag system being worn by the rider and passenger instructing them to inflate.

Dainese reckon that the system is so good that from the moment the bikes front wheel hits a car that has pulled out on you, for example, the system triggers and fully inflates in 45 milliseconds!! This means that the system would be inflated before you moved from your seat!

Which is pretty impressive.

Of course, it does mean that at the afore mentioned petrol station, brag about your new D-Air jacket too much and your mates could get their own back by kicking your front wheel lol!!

http://www.dainese.com/uk_en/d-air/d-air-street

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 08/07/2011 18:09  

Don't think i'll bother with one then

Update Reply
loving it @ 08/07/2011 18:14  

Thanks for the post geoff. Its a great idea and I must say having watched the videos, all that’s missing in their technology is your 'Michelin Man' effect. I would be a lot happier if the product protected the whole body. Suffice it looks like its still possible to break an arm or leg.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 08/07/2011 19:11  

I think it was Suzuki that last tries the airbag jacket system. The problems they were having was that the computer could not tell the difference between a crash and a pothole.

Update Reply
Phil @ 09/07/2011 00:28  

I'm thinking the same thing PP,.. a couple of years back I hit a partridge on the ST just next to the headlight at about 90, but apart from a big jolt, stayed on. If I'd have had one of them air things on would it have sent me into orbit? If it did, the damage to the bike would have been a lot more than a couple of little cracks in the fairing!

Update Reply
Paj1369 @ 09/07/2011 07:37  

From watching the video it doesn't look like it's interfered with the rider's ability to stay on or control the bike so even in a *false* activation, it should cause any issues other than inconvenience. What happens after an activation, can it be deflated and reused? It doesn't seem to inflate a great deal and as Ronaldo has said, it doesn't protect the limbs but I guess it's injuries to the internal organs and spine that are most life threatening and/or life changing??

Update Reply
Roachy @ 09/07/2011 11:39  

Sounds interesting. Will have to have a look online.

I'd stick with the hard hat around the house for now Roachy.

Update Reply
Palamie @ 09/07/2011 13:26  

it just looks like he's let rip ! just before he hits the wall doesnt look like the helmet or neck area is helped any either i thought that's what the idea of these air bags were ?

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 09/07/2011 13:48  

A great idea for racing or perhaps trackdays but on the road errm probably not so much, If people feel they need this sort of protection flog the bike and buy a nice safe slow boring nissan micra !!! 'cos biking ain't for you

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/07/2011 22:36  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email