MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Saddle Soap

Saddle Soap - Forums [Biker Match] Saddle Soap - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Saddle Soap

Has anyone tried Saddle Soap to clean and condition leathers? I wondered if anyone has tried it or uses it n found it to be good or bad ?

Mark

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/06/2011 22:17  

been using it for years mark , i recomend it !!

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 26/06/2011 22:28  

I asked my cobbler guy () best thing to clean & condition my trousers. I was after dubbin but he recommended cleansing cream that you use on leather sofas. It did a really good job, cleaned off the salt deposits that leached out of em when they got saturated, left em all nice & soft & supple and I stayed dry when it rained

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 26/06/2011 22:55  

sadle soaps top but u do need to clean it of very well or it crakes

Update Reply
kaycat @ 26/06/2011 23:03  

Hi Sparks, I had heard so many different things so went my local equestrian shop and they told me about this 'Flexalan' lanolised leather dressing, you clean off the muck with a damp cloth first, allow to dry then use a paint brush to apply a thin coat, allow to dry and repeat. Seems a bit off faffing but my jacket is like new again and it has increased it's waterproofiness lol. The 500ml tin cost £9.99 and I reckon it will last years. Good luck with whatever you go with

Update Reply
BOBKAT @ 27/06/2011 08:53  

Thanks for the advice everyone

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 27/06/2011 08:56  

A guy in the leather shop once told me that a nailbrush and normal hand soap is as good as anything to clean leathers, then after a rinse and dry, a coating of Renapur for protection. I must admit, it seemed to work ok on the coloured power ranger suit, but i didn't try it on my black stuff.

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 27/06/2011 18:43  

Hmmm, not sure about the nailbrush Weirdo. I thought it would be ok as my sister once used one to clean a cream leather suite but I used a soft one on my babyblue leather jacket and it sort of took bits of the top layers of dye off. The black sections were fine though. It is a fairly lightweight leather jacket though, built for form rather than function.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 27/06/2011 19:45  

I used to be a leatherworker many moons ago. Saddle soap was always my recommended choice. But these days there are lots of other products on the market which will also do a good job. However, I say stick with the tried and trusted. You wont go far wrong.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/06/2011 21:44  

I used to be a leatherworker many moons ago Is that what they used to call them? What is it now? S&M or summat. What exactly does your shop sell (below the counter, I mean) ps - Bill very excited now

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/06/2011 18:02  

It just gets worse And its not my shop, I just work there.......and I keep biccies under the counter

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/06/2011 20:18  

Sorry read that post title wrong. I thought it said saddle sore. Memo to self. Put your glasses on you blind git :-)

Update Reply
SPESH @ 30/06/2011 20:34  

biccies under the counter sounds good to me

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 01/07/2011 01:50  

I always use saddle soap on my leather stuff.

I apply it with a cloth. Got a tub in my leatherworking kit. Lasts for ages.

Takes me over an hour to do my long leather coat, but that is a lot of cow to soap lol.

Update Reply
Rhidragon @ 01/07/2011 18:02  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email