MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Think your good at slow speed riding...

Think your good at slow speed riding... (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Think your good at slow speed riding... (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Think your good at slow speed riding...

you stick your left knee in left knee out in out in out then shake your arse about you ride your hokey pokey then you fall about thats what its all about oh ! you know the rest i would say the guy didnt put his knee out coz he was leaning the bike and keeping his weight up top over the C of G

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 03/07/2011 23:26  

yup do 40 all the time!round the country lanes, psses everyone off then..

Update Reply
crasy lady @ 11/07/2011 22:32  

isn`t this about "slow speed" conering? as far as i`m aware (i am only a man who works for a living) any given bike has a finite maximum lean angle with any given tyres, the "idea" of knee out/body weight shifting, is to move the "total" weight centre of gravity (i.e. bike AND rider) inwards towards the corner, to alow a HIGHER corner speed, for the given bike/tyre combo at each corner? i`ve been known to make progress, and understand the weight shift bit, but for me on the road, lowering MY centre of gravity includes my head, which has the eyes bits attatched to it (is old fashioned i know) if my head is lower, surely i can see less far ahead? surely i can see less far round the corner? is that why folk who put their knee out riding on the road ride round corners slower ? just an observation.

Update Reply
oldyeti @ 18/07/2011 19:30  

That was very impressive riding in the vid Just my tuppence worth on cornering, I've always shifted my weight on corners, going round roundabouts etc, even back in the old days (30 odd years ago) on non sports bikes, it just felt right to me and as hard as i might i find it really weird sitting bolt upright in the seat while trying to corner... And in answer to you oldyeti, as long as you use the right line through a bend you can see up the road just fine, also getting off the seat is especially usefull in the wet as it gives your tyres a greater contact patch on the road and when bikes tyres have as little as a credit card size contact area with the tarmac any thing to help when you have 170bhp to try to put down is welcome in my book, Just a side note if anyone needs more confidence they should try doing a bike safe course with the a police rider, or a few trackdays that will boost anyones levels of skill wet or dry, well worth the £45 it costs for bike safe

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/07/2011 22:12  

as a sportsbike fan and rider for pretty much as long as theyve existed, just wondering when the knee out brigade will "progress" to the "rossi leg dangle"
i can understand the reasons and admire it when watching racers, but even on track days, mere mortals wont come close to those speeds/lean angles and on a b road? forget it - i'm usually chomping at the bit to pass them in my ancient vw polo!!! i can almost smell the testosterone from here!!! haha

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/07/2011 22:12  

Yep in a lot of cases i have to agree here with Mandy you only have to look at most sports bike riders tyres to see they don't lean as loads i've seen have chicken strips an inch wide on either side of the rear tyre bikes are meant for corners lets have some fun out there, lean the damn thing over a bit more, at least when it dry Eh !!! LOL

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/07/2011 22:17  

I must be in the minority then Blade_rider as I ride a sports bike and whilst I have never got my knee down or had my knee out for that matter, my "chicken strips" are about 5mm if that

Update Reply
gixergal @ 21/07/2011 21:37  

Good on yer Gixergal, It does indeed seem there are only a few of us that actually ride the bikes we own the way they are supposed to be ridden, It does bugs me when i see guys on really capable bikes poodleing about like thier driving miss daisy, ok so don't race on the roads but you don't have to be going like a bat outta hell to lean... Corners where made for sports bikes after all !!! But each to their own i guess

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/07/2011 21:18  

Ok just mesured my chicken strips F 4 MM R 22 MM I can lean a harley over any more cus my boot drags along the road with forward controls

Update Reply
JP @ 22/07/2011 21:31  

I bet that makes the cagers back off round bends eh JP

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/07/2011 19:50  

measured chicken strips on mine, Im ashamed
front 11mm
rear 15mm
? does this not depend on tyre size & profile, I do lean the bugga over!!!

Update Reply
bkr @ 24/07/2011 22:27  

It is fare to assume that the wider the tyre the greater the radius, hence more tyre contact with the road. I have seen many sports bikes with a narrow chicken strip (as you call it) and absolutely no wear the the rest of the tread. I would not put thses guys down for it. They are riding in the way that suites "them". Isn't that what its all about? Enjoy your riding what ever way you do it. Great video. Do that on Module one and I think its a fail. Its not slow.

Update Reply
davidneale @ 29/07/2011 18:04  

What does it matter if someone has 10mm wide chicken strips?
You wont find me "going for it" on the road, it aint safe (thats not to say I dont have a bit of fun). On track the risk is reduced in so many ways.

Update Reply
potnoodles @ 29/07/2011 18:30  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email