MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Practical tips on how to ride with a pillion

Practical tips on how to ride with a pillion - Forums [Biker Match] Practical tips on how to ride with a pillion - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Practical tips on how to ride with a pillion

I've been riding with a full license for a year now. Just recently I started to think that I might try to get a feel for taking a pillion on the back and see how I cope. I'm only at the 'thinking about it' stage though... I feel I could start trying it and friends have suggested I'll be fine with it. (Out on rides, they have seen how I've progressed over the year and think I might be ready to try) I've had the encouragment from my pals along with advice, but I'd be interested in hearing about other peoples experiences on the forum... how did it go for you?

Update Reply
SuzieSuzuki @ 03/06/2011 19:09  

take someone how has pilled befor first
ask for volinters

Update Reply
kaycat @ 03/06/2011 19:17  

Can't remember the first time I took a pillion, it's lost in the mists of time gone by but if you're going to go for it then make sure it is someone experienced on the back. I've had some nightmare experiences with people that have no clue how to lean with the bike. Not that I'm trying to put you off, maybe start off slow with short rides round the block until you get a feel for how the bike handles 2 up.

Update Reply
Gloom @ 03/06/2011 19:25  

Agree with gloom 100%.

Get someone who has been pilly before.

I am the worlds worse pilly as I try and 'ride' the bike!

But it is great to have a pilly on the back I find. I love it!

Go for it!

Update Reply
RobL @ 03/06/2011 21:11  

Was easy for me, trying to escape from the police on a yb100 field bike with 3 of us on it, have a regular pilly was easy lol!
One thing you will learn, is how much body positioning affect the handling of a bike, as when you move, you know it's going to happen, if you're pilly moves, then you have to be ready.
My suggestion is to take a bike rider as a pillion before anyone else, as they know and understand what affects the bike. Start off on easy roads to ride with no tight corners, especially not with any steep up or downhill sections, as you need to learn the way the bike feels with a passenger without the complication of having to brake much harder downhill.
Don't be afraid, it will feel different, but just take it bit by bit, and you'll be fine! Taking pillys opens up a whole new world of biking, whether they're riders, ex riders, or someone who's never been on a bike in their life.
Enjoy!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2011 21:15  

Err, that wasn't recent btw, when i was14 or 15 lol!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2011 21:36  

As above but it's not the way I did it wye wifey decided to come out with me.
Explained to her what would happen under braking, going round corners etc. Take it easy to start with and see how the pillion is reacting to the bike. My wife was having problems with corners, she went the opposite way to the bike which mass it more difficult for me. Have a stop after about 10 miles and ask what they think, and go through what they have found already.
My wife is now at the stage where she knows exactly when to lean and how much.
Took her to Ireland for a long weekend and after 250 miles on the way back to the hotel I entered a roundabout and she suddenly jumped up so I stopped down the road and just said to her " you fell asleep didnt you" it frightened her a bit so she made me stop every 30 minutes after that.
Don't ask me to be a pillion though, tried it once and was totally scared cos I wasn't in control, so I ain't doing it again for anybody. :-)

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 03/06/2011 22:32  

I'll happily do it for a new rider, just not for any of these head cases that ride like they're trying to escape from the devil.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2011 22:40  

I could lend you my 13 year old daughter, you don't even know she's there - until she starts getting lippy when you stop of course, she is 13 after all!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2011 22:45  

if u need an experienced pilly thats more rucksack sized i'll volunteer hunny...im only 7 stone and after being on the back of a zx9r doing silly speeds it'd make a refreshing change to go for a nice pootle :-)

Update Reply
mizzi @ 03/06/2011 22:52  

I have never take a pilly and to be honest never will.

The only reason for this is I dont want the responsibility of someone else, I still pilly with Ian some times and as others here have said a pilly can alter how the bike handles drastically , lol, if I have been riding my bike quite a bit and then go pilly I regularly get a telling off at 1st as I ride the Bandit but do so as if I was on my SV ... Ooops Bandits don't like being thrown like that heheheh

Oh and check your insurance is ok with it, I have no pillions allowed on my insurance, to carry one will prob rack up your premiums.

Whatever you do hon, enjoy, and take it easy :-)

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 04/06/2011 07:22  

mizzi...my seat is free !!

I think my first piily was my ex wife, she trusted me i never go ballistic and could never tell she was there etc, and thats the key here i think

as long as you the rider trust the person sat behind you and know there gonna just go with the bike and not be as stiff as a board then you will relax as ther rider and visa versa, so get a pilly for a start that you know , trust, been a pilly before and this will build you confidence up taking pillys etc

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/06/2011 07:51  

Take a small soft toy pillion, they're easy.

I took my Gobo (he's a fraggle) with me all the way to Austria and Switzerland and back, never even felt he was there once. Even whilst I was throwing the bike through the passes. And getting him on and off was easy, I just kind of picked him up and put him on! Although he is very lazy and wouldn't hold on, so I made him a seat belt from an elastic band.

Made a right mess of his hair mind (I was a little irresponsible and didn't make him wear a helmet) and he got very dirty. However, our cleaner took him home shortly after and brought him back all washed and clean again :)

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 04/06/2011 08:27  

dont take any one who is heavier than you ...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/06/2011 08:39  

dont take any one who is heavier than you ... ...not unless you want to do wheelies lol (J /K) Hi Suzie, as I've mentioned before on here try carrying your weekly shopping on the back of your bike, securely fastened of course. It will get you used to the weight without the movements a pillion may make. Once you're confident with weight you can then progress to a pillion, as with other's suggestions I recommend you take an experienced pillion before you take a newbie. There's more to pillioning than just sitting on the back admiring the views. Something that is never mentioned, and judging by the amount of riders who say 'NO' when I ask them, never put into practice, 'pillion to rider' hand signals. I have 3, they come in handy especially if riding fast or there's a lot of noise. 1) emergency - stop! where and when it's safe to do so 2) toilet stop - obviously stop at nearest loo 3) I'm ready, you can set off'. Some folk laugh at me for this but it's better than screaming at the rider or hitting them or pulling at them, to get their attention, and still the rider doesn't know what you are on about. I hope you enjoy taking a pillion cos I love being one, if the rider isn't a loon, it can be a pleasant experience. Safe journeys.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/06/2011 11:23  

As said already use an experienced pilly for your first attempts. My friend pob had only taken two pilly's before me so was understandably nervous, I wasn't at all and told him I wasn't, I chilled like I always do, went with the bike and pob said after, I was 'so easy', which i took as a great compliment. I also use hand signals, like after the engines turned off and the riders supporting the bike, I tap the left shoulder to basically ask if its ok to get off, and wait for a response. I do the same tap to the shoulder when waiting to get on, its just so the rider knows what you are going to do and can be ready, and the bike and you both don't and up in a heap. A tap on the waist means I'm ready to role. Simple really, as long as you both know what they mean, and you will create your own along the way - good luck

Update Reply
Nutkin68 @ 04/06/2011 11:42  

ive been pillion all my biking life lol , love it, relax go with the movement of the bike and dont try to fight it,lean when the rider leans, i tend to sit directly behind and up close, keep my shoulders level and at the same angel if that makes sense. ive been told on many occasions the rider doesnt know im there, which goes to show pilly is doing it right,.

also it doesnt hurt to ask the rider if they are comfy with you and if your giving them enough space and not crowding them,,and a valuable lesson is dont let the pilly get on by standing on the footpegs! this can knock the bike over, unintentionally but it does happen.

have fun ,, boo x

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 04/06/2011 13:46  

and a valuable lesson is dont let the pilly get on by standing on the footpegs!
How do you mean Boody?

Update Reply
Roachy @ 04/06/2011 21:58  

if the bike is off the stand and you stand on the peg and haul ya weight up you can topple the bike over.allways seems best to slide ya leg over.

Update Reply
Boodyblues @ 04/06/2011 22:53  

I get what you're saying but wouldn't that only work if the pillion was able to put their own feet down? If I take my feet of the pillion pegs on Geoff's CB, my feet are a good 8 inches off the ground. It's a valid point though and I do wonder how riders cope with a pillion putting all that weight through one side as they get on.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 04/06/2011 23:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email