MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Practical tips on how to ride with a pillion

Practical tips on how to ride with a pillion (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Practical tips on how to ride with a pillion (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Practical tips on how to ride with a pillion

i think maybe it depends at what angle you are hanging off bike as you get on it as a pilly.... im only lil and there is no way i can get me leg up and over a lot of bikes... well actually most!! i get on bike by putting all weight on one foot peg but i do it in such a way as im kinda leaning into the middle weight of bike not pulling it over!!! and i swing up and over in one smooth quick move but again without pulling or causing bike to be unbalanced ive been told many times ya dont know im there and i love goin pilly.. sometimes i even close me eyes and just feel the move of bike.. lean into acceleration and squeeze thighs on breaking etc....only trouble is not good idea to close eyes and go with bike incase of emergency stops i agree with everyone in get your first pilly to be one that is experienced and just go short distance up road you kow well or try in very large car park that has lots space... ive never taken a pilly myself either.... good luck with it and im sure ay will be fine with the right back seat warmer ps... same as nutkins... squeeze on sides to say ok to set orf adn wait for rider to let me know ok to get on or off... never move or jump on or off till rider is ready ... also as a good pilly you can read when rider is likely to accelerate or overtake etc or brake...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/06/2011 23:28  

Speaking as someone with little legs (I can just about tip toe my CB with both feet or ball of one foot), I've never minded pillions getting on by using the pegs as long as I'm ready for it.

As such, I always have a little "briefing" with any pillion regardless of their experience.

1. I insist on them waiting for the ok from me before getting on or off.
2. If they need to shift position, stretch legs etc (obviously not something as minor as looking over my shoulder) then they are only allowed to do this when the bike is moving at a reasonable pace and then ideally only on the straights. If they must shift position whilst we are stationary, then again they must wait for my ok.
3. When riding with a pillion, I'll try and make my riding as smooth as I can to avoid sudden braking or harsh acceleration. In return I expect a pillion to ensure they stay put when I'm slowing down, accelerating or cornering and this generally involves holding on at all times.

And ... 4. If possible, I like them to use a lid with an Autocom headset so I can speak to them at any time to check they're ok and similarly, they can keep me informed about their requirements.

No 4 is usually not possible though as a lot of regular pillions have their own helmets.

If I do take a pilly who regularly breaks the above "rules" I'll stop taking them out, which I know sounds harsh, but I'm not dropping my bike just because someone fancies a quick bike run.

Other than that my only rules are to relax, flow with the bike and enjoy! I've taken a number of BM members pillion and I'd hope they all enjoyed it.

(Although I could be wrong lol!)

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 04/06/2011 23:39  

That's what I try to do Suzi but I never manage one fluid motion. Because of my knee problems I struggle getting on and off and usually have to use the right side as that's my stronger leg. I can manage the left on the CB if we use a kerb or on a lower bike. Again because of leg weakness I use my arms to assist me but try to push myself up through the seat rather than pull off the bike.
I always ask my rider if it's ok to get on and off.

Update Reply
Roachy @ 05/06/2011 00:14  

I allways try to ride to what the pillion is comfortable with and not as i would normally ride .
and make sure you communicate with them as to what they and you expect ie: have taken pillys who sit uprite in corners they need to know it afects the bike Ive even had some one leaning the bike in for me from the back seat , he got told off too ( allthough i did wonder why my bike was handling so well that day lol ) but as others have said take an experienced pilly first time if you can other wise find a quiet place to try it out first Have fun !!

Update Reply
WheelyNealy @ 05/06/2011 01:01  

Nothing wrong with a pillion using the pegs to get on with ... as long as the rider knows. Kaycat does and its not a problem.

Plus if you have loads of gear on, panniers etc, and the height of the seat and the length of the pillions legs etc there wont be any choice.

Oh and you don't lean with the rider, you relax and go with the rider

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/06/2011 10:03  

I'm still fairly inexperienced as a pilly but so far have been out with great people and have had total trust in them, and even if I've been a bit wobbly on the back they've been fine (or at least that's what they told me ) some people have even taken me out more than once

I still don't like it when the bike leans quite a bit and I still find that hard to just go with it, guess its the lack of control feeling

I was told to get on using the pegs, I can't get my leg over most bikes and I have a bit of a knee problem. Sometimes I wobble getting on and off but so far no total mishaps

Update Reply
HippyRockChick @ 05/06/2011 10:57  

I still don't like it when the bike leans quite a bit and I still find that hard to just go with it, guess its the lack of control feeling

hippy hunny
close your eyes till u go strat again it not a much as a lean as u think

Update Reply
kaycat @ 05/06/2011 11:04  

Iagree with Geof and Shadow, I let my passenger know when im ready and they can use the peg. Also on the side stand, i brace the bike so the stand doesn`take all the weight. Piick routes with no slow tight turns if poss, there the hardest. Keep atit thow it`ll come. Remember when you first start to ride or drive you don`t know wether to stick or twist, now its 2nd nature.

Update Reply
skill @ 05/06/2011 23:58  

Thanks to everyone for loads of practical help and advice on this... I really appreciate it... thank you! I'll heed all the advice and start slowly with a friend who is a very experienced rider and who knows whats needed from a pillion. I've just got to convince him to be the one ha ha!! It's so helpful to get lots of different/similar opinions on issues like this and I think forums like this one are so useful in this way. Brilliant... thanks all!

Update Reply
SuzieSuzuki @ 06/06/2011 22:35  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email