MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Help, i need my sidestand shortened.

Help, i need my sidestand shortened. - Forums [Biker Match] Help, i need my sidestand shortened. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Help, i need my sidestand shortened.

Hi, i've lowered my er6 and the sidestand could do with
lowering as the bike is too upright when i park......one good gust
and it will blow over.

I've looked at getting an adjustable stand but they are too
expensive so i'm looking for a cheaper alternative. Any welders
about?

Thanks, Linda.

Update Reply
loving it @ 26/05/2011 00:52  

Do you have any small engineering companys near you its only a small job or a blacksmith a back street bodyshop could do it

Update Reply
JP @ 26/05/2011 02:48  

Or have a chat with your local dealer and see if they have a smaller one they can swap it for?

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 26/05/2011 06:19  

can you just not just chop some off the end ???? there must be plenty of engineering places around you, if not get it off post it to me and i will get it sorted for you !

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2011 06:56  

Have you considered removing a little bit of the stop? It is literally a two minute job with an angle grinder and has the effect of allowing the stand to swing further forward, effectively shortening it.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 26/05/2011 07:25  

are they not just a flat plate on the bottom now Geoff, i think she has the same stand as my versys, it would be chop some off and re weld the plate or am i misunderstanding what you mean ???

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2011 07:27  

Had mine shortend yesterday as I had the same problem and I had to push the bike over to the right to take off/on stand which wasnt very good for my small frame. I had inch chopped off and plate re-welded and jobs a good n. So take JP's advice it shouldnt cost much or ask about your mates you never know they might no someone who can !

Update Reply
Ninja Lou @ 26/05/2011 07:36  

No Ian, I'm talking about the little stop on the stand bracket that stops it from swinging too far forward.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 26/05/2011 08:16  

gotya geoff !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/05/2011 09:14  

Thanks for all the advice everyone.....I was thinking of having some chopped off and it re-welded like it's been suggested Ian and yes i think it's like your Versys, which by the way how's it going with your new bike? Geoff i'll have a look to see if i know what you mean.....i'm brilliant at diy but when it comes to anything mechanical i'm a bit useless. After saying that, i did fit the lowering braket with my sons help which i was very pleased with. Ideally i would love to take a basic bike mechanic course but can't find one......oops sorry going off track Ninjalou, i've pm'd you about details.....thanks. Any welders out there who could do the job.....and the cheaper the better

Update Reply
loving it @ 26/05/2011 10:46  

There are no bike mechanic courses where I live but my local bike school runs ad hoc courses on request cos they know it's a problem for new riders. Might be worth investigating whether any of the bike schools round your way do that

Update Reply
Minnie the Minx @ 26/05/2011 12:52  

Thanks Minnie, i'll do that.

Pleased to say i,ve found a lovely welder in bradford who'll do the job for £15.....only problem now is i've got to remove the sidestand.

So if there is anybody local to me with experience of doing this i would much appreciate your help........pretty please

Just to say though i have no garage to work on the bike in.....although i could take it in the kitchen again. It did look soooooo nice in there.

Thanks, Linda.

Update Reply
loving it @ 26/05/2011 13:10  

You can do it with the stand still on the bike would be a better way so you dont shorten it to much he can cut the plate off the bottom then take a bit off try and when the right angle is there place base under the stand and weld in place

Update Reply
JP @ 26/05/2011 13:21  

You can do it with the stand still on the bike would be a better way so you dont shorten it to much he can cut the plate off the bottom then take a bit off try and when the right angle is there place base under the stand and weld in place

Thanks JP but the welder chap said he would rather shorten it when it's off the bike and as the bike lowered an inch when i put the bracket in, it proberbly just needs shortening that much.........oooooo i like this writing, very nice.

Update Reply
loving it @ 26/05/2011 13:40  

Its only 1 bolt that holds it and a spring lean the bike against a wall in gear remove bolt when take off spring done

Update Reply
JP @ 26/05/2011 15:20  

Has the bike been lowered front and back??

If not and only by the back then it only needs adjusting by roughly half inch apparently, Something to do with geometry !!!

Dont shot themessenger i am only asking what somebody else just asked lol

I know nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 26/05/2011 16:16  

Thanks JP, i've just put it away so i'll have a look when i get it out tomorrow.

Hi Jackie.....yes it has and it runs lovely. Unfortunatly though i could only
find the bracket for the rear suspension in America.....and then i had to pay import tax on top !!!!.......now doesn't that writing look pretty.....small things please small minds......and somebody with too much time on their hands!!!

Update Reply
loving it @ 26/05/2011 16:33  

I can pop round with my toolkit and remove your side stand for you. All I ask for is a cup of tea (milk one sugar) as payment

Update Reply
Phil blade @ 26/05/2011 19:28  

Dont forget the rich tea bickies

Update Reply
JP @ 26/05/2011 20:02  

Thanks Phil, i;ve sent you a pm.....

and i promise to offer biscuits JP

Update Reply
loving it @ 26/05/2011 20:47  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email