MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Submissions for the Events Calendar

Submissions for the Events Calendar (4) - Forums [Biker Match] Submissions for the Events Calendar (4) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Submissions for the Events Calendar

My head hurts

Update Reply
Weirdoraptor @ 13/05/2011 04:46  

I still don't get what the problem is ... All events are only venues untill members get together there .. The Vic, BP, Rivvi ... All they are is venues (which is what they are described as in the descriptions BTW) the Flouch inn is another get together spot that has been on the calendar before now, all are mearly places where bikers get together to chat, compare bikes, drool over someone else's bike and have a laugh, is it that they are regular venues so are events.

There is now a lot of confusion as to what can and cannot be put as an event and I don't just mean me being blonde... I for one, as a member of the events team, need to know what Sandi considers a suitable activity going on to make it an event, As IMO if I find A venue where members can meet and have a good time and try to get members to meet there makes it an event !

Mic thought it was maybe something he had submitted so has placed a thread on here of things going on in his area
http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?topic_id=7905 all these I would say are events.

Again IMO the fact that it's a good place for members to meet, even if to sit n drink coffee and chat about knitting ...

Members meeting Place = event

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 13/05/2011 05:06  

Well as an events team member my thoughts are as follows if we think its an event it gets posted or we may aswell give up sorry Matt but this is getting stupid and needs sorting

Update Reply
JP @ 13/05/2011 06:19  

i am just going for a bath..... thats a event within it self

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/05/2011 06:30  

I saw an event listing which I believe may have been the reason for why this thread was started. If I am correct, the person is new to the Events Team and may just need a little bit of help and guidance with posting events from someone who is used to doing it. Sandi, I think that it would have been much easier if this had been addressed directly with the person that had posted on the events board. Please BM'ers, do not be put off posting events, and if you do require any assistance in doing so, please do not hesitate to contact a member of staff who will be happy to help.

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 13/05/2011 06:52  

nicley said Trish - Trish for Prime Minister !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/05/2011 06:57  

I agree JP ... The events team in general say if it's a venue where we can meet and have a laugh etc it should be on the calendar ...

However we are not the ones who say what does or doesnot go on there or what is classed as an event rather than a venue , which is why I would like clarification from the one person who does this.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 13/05/2011 07:19  

also, can we as the events team actually put things on events ?? is that not a possibility ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/05/2011 07:25  

May I suggest, and I really don't like posting this, but I will. Most of the posts on this thread are from site staff....can we please sort it out amoungst ourselves and then if need be, a thread can go up explaining the events adding process to everyone. IMO, it doesn't look good to BM members if even the site staff are posting this sort of thing. This is just my opinion, so please do not shoot me!!!!

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 13/05/2011 07:26  

hey every one is entitled to a opinion trish, although if we discuss this in a friendly way it gives members a chance to put there throw on things too, which can be seen in apositive way ? just my opinon

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/05/2011 07:32  

Think it's a poor show if even the Events Team don't understand the process and even worse, if the lack of understanding is made public. Just my opinion Ian and I am not going to say any more on this one

Update Reply
bandit lover @ 13/05/2011 07:34  

i totally agree 100% trish, maybe we could be shown these things, i feel a meeting eh hem party !!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/05/2011 07:36  

Ian, that opens up the question of whether your party is an event or a venue. ( sorry couldn't help myself) :-))

Update Reply
wheelbarrow @ 13/05/2011 07:52  

mmmm lmao wheelbarrow...... i will submit it !!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/05/2011 08:01  

Very well said Trish, a valid point, although I am as guilty as anyone else. 3 weeks till holiday time, yay!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/05/2011 08:30  

I'm my opinion I think its pretty straightforward to post an event and best left to Sandi to do it as it provides consistency. Maybe have a back up for times when Sandi isn't available....

My understanding of what Sandi is saying is we don't advertise venues if BM members don't attend, where we do attend, for instance, a weekly meet, it can go on events.

I do of course stand to be corrected :D

Update Reply
Blackberry @ 13/05/2011 12:27  

Ok i'm gonna jump in and have my say now. Firstly, Ian, it's important that members of the events team only add their event and cannot approve it themselves. As Blackberry said this is for consistency reasons. Sandi and myself know a few things about the calendar that most of you don't. For example - all events MUST end with a hyphen - space - shortened county. If you don't follow this format (and almost nobody does) then it screws up scripts like the events list on the homepage. Ok that's that answered. Re venues. I do not want, like Sandi has said, people to post a pretty-much empty 'event' in the calendar which just says "John smiths pub". If submitting to the calendar it should have some info at least (time of meeting, what's happening etc). Even if just to say "Weekly sunday meet at Rivvi barn. BM members meet around lunchtime at the butty bar". The person adding it doesn't need to be going! Sometimes it just needs someone to add it to the calendar in order for the standard members to add their names to it. I mean - how many BM members go to Rivvi barn on Sundays but don't know which other BM members are going? I'm sure lots. If you just add "Rivvi barn", nothing in the description, no phone number, address, postcode, etc etc... then it will be removed/not approved. In Sandi's absence I take over the calendar admin stuff. Mods always have access for urgent requests but shouldn't be touching the calendar on a regular basis (nor should be approving their own events!). Trish, events team members are just ordinary BM members at the end of the day. As we all are. It's important for these things to be discussed with everyone on the site (IMO) so we can all have a say. I think the whole discussion process will also bring more people's attention to the matter. Just an "Announcement" will generally be ignored or not fully understood.

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/05/2011 12:51  

Thank you Boss, thats an explanation that has cleared up a lot

If full details included, so members know whats happening & where it can go up ... leave any bits out you wont get it listed ... Simples !

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 13/05/2011 13:45  

Shell Blonde week there me thinks didnt I say on page 3 (ALL details) lol

Update Reply
JP @ 13/05/2011 14:03  

lol yes but when I asked if it was details missing I got told no lol ... anyways ... the boss has said so I have listened

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 13/05/2011 14:08  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email